Imagine your progress being deleted

I think I get where you’re coming from OP and I agree with it in a lot of ways.

I never got into private servers mostly because I don’t like violating copyright laws, but part of it was knowing everything would get deleted at some point.

IMO it would be nice to have options for keeping characters on “Classic Vanilla” or moving them to “Classic TBC”. I plan to move to a “TBC Classic” with my main characters for my own reasons but would love to keep some alts on a static “Classic Vanilla” server. I completely understand that some people do not want to progress and the choice is good.

When TBC first came out it was exciting at first but it involved moving to the ugliest land possible (still) and then watch the servers guilds and community fall apart. It was so bad I just started again on another server. It sucked. I also have no interest in playing my original main on retail anymore. It’s still there but not the same at all, with 8 expansions everything is different.

So the point is yes it would be nice to have the option to just keep characters at 60 etc, even if it means moving servers, and not be forced to progress to another expansion or start fresh. A choice is really the best option for all. There are other people on these forums who feel this way and they’ve said so. What Blizzard will actually do is up in the air and I don’t really expect anything from them anymore. “Classic TBC” hasn’t even been announced (and yes I know the signs point to it).

3 Likes

This is what I hope happens.

Blizzard will Copy everyone’s progress (on the Classic Servers, if they have any). Then, they will Paste it over onto their BC Servers. Anyone who did NOT start in Classic but wants to play in BC WILL have to start at level 1, if they want to play the BC version of WoW. Just like I had to, when I began my WoW journey, in BC. I had no character that was pre-BC. If you’re post-BC but want to play BC, that is what you will have to do. And, Classic will remain as is.

OR

Blizzard will Copy everyone’s progress (on the Classic Server, if they have any). Then, they will Paste it over onto their “new” Classic Servers. While they progress the Classic Servers (as they are, now) onto BC. And, the “new” Classic Servers, will be that: Classic. Again, if you didn’t play pre-BC, you don’t get the luxury of having a max level character (in this case, a level 60) to go play in Outlands with. You must start at level 1 in either version, of the game. Unless it’s the Standard Version then just pay real life money for a Boost.

If all else fails, I wouldn’t mind their BC Servers being “fresh”, like I said. But, I definitely believe I’m in the minority pool, of that one. IK I’m not the ONLY one, but it certainly isn’t the most popular option.

Again, I really don’t want Classic to cease existing, AGAIN.

1 Like

Yes please blizzard don’t erase our classic servers. It’s why we came, because you promised us classic museum. And now all these crazy rumors are telling us that we might be pushed into another game (tbc) that we don’t want.

4 Likes

I doubt there will be tbc fresh due to the absence of tbc fresh on the most recent survey. At least not for a while.

They did not promise you a museum. I know that because I found that quote you took out of context. They did not promise a museum. They were saying vanilla belongs in a museum. They were making fun of it. Not promising anything. Even then it was in a conversation between the devs and not from them to the player base.

I’m still not against the idea.

Regardless, what do you think of my suggestion?

I believe your second option is the more likely one to happen. I think the classic only players would be more happy with new servers where they can have their own economies and communities. Even if they can’t see it now. A lot of the problems with current classic would mostly be solved.

There’s really nothing “new” about the Classic Servers, though. Everything is still the same (economy included). I quoted the word “new” because it’s not really “new”. It’s just an additional Server (away from BC), and that’s the only “new” thing about it.

I just don’t know if Classic will remain as is or be moved. Or ceases to exist, altogether (which is what I REALLY don’t want).

I don’t believe it will cease to exist.

Don’t worry, they will. Not because they feel any sympathy, but because if they no longer offered any original-Classic realms, private servers would come roaring back.

2 Likes

I definitely agree to this as there are plenty of players whom want to just play classic. In turn in the farther future i want TBC stasis servers as I personally do not like wrath and prefer to just play TBC.

2 Likes

This. There will be at least a few Classic Forever servers. Blizzard promised this.

I’m sure Blizzard is well aware that people like to collect stuff and see and keep their progress. Most of their retail game is dedicated to collecting crap. So I’m sure they are also well aware of people’s fears of getting their stuff deleted. Which is why I don’t think we’ll get anything deleted in our transition to TBC, either.

I think we’ll end up with three types of servers. Most will transition to TBC, but there will also be a few Classic Forever servers, plus a few Fresh Classic servers, because there is demand for that, too.

3 Likes

Not true, show the quote.

They said museum, they said they don’t care if they are empty.

2 Likes

If i was a hardcore vanilla player i would at least want to play on a server that has a population that you can do raids and dungeons. just for example why have 39 servers that have 200 people when you can have 2 servers with 3900. Grouping up all the players of VersionX together is the end game for every version.

I myself don’t want to play wrath i will gladly transfer off my server to a stasis TBC server along with everyone else that don’t want to play wrath. Its that simple.

(vanilla stasis) (TBC stasis) (wrath stasis)

Play what you want just make sure you sort yourself correctly.

You show the quote lol. No they didn’t. They said classic would exist even if 10s of people play it but they didn’t say you wouldn’t have to move. You a t like a 12 year old who isn’t getting everything their way. Is your name dudley dursley irl?

To be sure, I don’t think Blizzard has ever promised us anything, ever, at all.

1 Like

Here’s my favorite quote from Blizzard:

1 Like

Imagine claiming to want a museum piece, then wanting to change the exhibit.

You authentically only get so much time in vanilla before the server authentically progresses to TBC content. Your character authentically moves forward in time, just as it did back then. If you wish to stay on the vanilla era, that’s fine, but you should be doing it on a fresh vanilla realm in p1 again.

Stop confusing your own entitlement with authenticity while trying to make stagnant and entirely non authentic, p6 vanilla realms a thing. You are asking for a complete and total change to a foundational pillar of the game’s design, not a museum.

3 Likes

you can not possibly enjoy playing a 15 yearl old ver sion of the game post last patch without further develpment ever…forever…or else there is something really wrong with you…

Strange. If someone does not think in a way that it copasetic with you, then you believe something is wrong with them? So, every professional sports player has something wrong with them because they play 50+ year old games for a majority of their lives until retirement, layoff, or career ending injury? Oh, no, you mean only entertainment games, right? So, you believe competitive chess players have something wrong with them? Oh, no, you mean only video games now, right? So, you believe something is wrong with MOBA players who play every season? What about WoW arena competitors who only PvP in arena? Them too?

I can think of many reasons why a person would want to play the same version of WoW even if they are of sound body and mind. Maybe something is wrong with you, since you can’t.

3 Likes