Imagine your progress being deleted

Imagine playing a console game that you really enjoy. Let’s say you play it with some measure of self control. Maybe there are other things you enjoy in life in addition to this game. You may or may not be good at playing it, but you do so at your own pace. You have not been playing it 16 hrs per day trying to rush through the content as fast as possible. Maybe you actually finished it but enjoy playing your saved game casually. The important thing is it’s the game you want to play, and you are enjoying it.

Now imagine a sequel is being released to this game. It might not be anything interesting to you, but other people playing it has no impact on your game experience. The problem is, a group of people keep demanding that you not be allowed to play your game anymore. Perhaps they don’t mind if you play it again in a few years, but they want you to delete your saved games/memory cards (for us old people who gamed on ps1 and 2). On top of that they demand you delete your saved games every so often.

You were just doing your thing and having fun, but people you don’t even know, and will probably never associate with in game, are hell bent on controlling how you spend your freetime. This is what folks are doing in regards to resisting a stasis classic server.

They are at best trolling the forums, trying to fill the void in their life with other’s disappointment. At worst they truely wish to have some form of control over other’s lives. In this case control over their recreational activity. Either way, the idea that there are people who enjoy different things is upsetting to them. They cannot allow other to do their own thing and be happy.

They want you to quit your game (classic), and play theirs (tbc and other expansions). If they don’t succeed in making you play tbc, they want your time investment deleted, via server resets.

Give us a classic stasis museum, Blizzard.

26 Likes

I am with you. What is saddening about your honest words is that Blizzard’s past actions have been so unworthy of your trust that you felt it necessary to say those words. Very sad. I agree good Sir. Let’s hope the heartless scoundrels at A-B are not the ones given the final decision. No official words give customer guidance as of yet. That tells a lot, and not good things. Imagine what a company must think of its customers and those customer’s values to keep them uninformed as the most profitable strategy. A loving company would behold the future for customers out of respect of that relationship. We don’t have a loving company, I guess.

6 Likes

Who is demanding you lose your progress? Most people think you’ll get your own server WITH all if your progress. I feel like you’re making things up based on what YOU want. The vast majority of us are moving to tbc. You’ll still have your vanilla wow. This is no way comparable to someone deleting game files. You’re panicking over something that hasn’t even been said by blizzard. These forums do not matter. Our opinions here do not matter. Until blizzard says you’re losing your progress then there’s no reason to panic.

22 Likes

I’m fine with whatever Blizzard does, whether it be Fresh, or if Classic moves over to TBC. Regardless, I’m playing a Bear Druid.

3 Likes

Every modern WoW player says exactly that, minus the druid part.

2 Likes

Fix it for you.

2 Likes

It is rational to give blind support to a company that has proven itself untrustworthy? k

11 Likes

Lots of games are like this.

I misunderstood. Nevermind.

Imagine repeating a 15 year old complaint and thinking you’re somehow coming up with a new opinion.

There will be plenty of private servers if Blizzard is too stupid to keep some classic servers a live.

These ridiculous analogies need to stop though. Did you cry about losing all your progress in Mario 1 when Mario 2 came out? Did you whine so hard when any expansion or sequel was released?

1 Like

The difference is that this is a game provided by servers as a persistent world, and this incarnation of the world was brought for a specific audience who wanted vanilla content specifically. To force progress this into a new expansion, as was done in 2007, is not the same ethical or legal foundation as 2007. This product is special in its incarnation. It is not in keeping with the modern WoW version. It is a unique revisit of old content that was long forlorn by Activision-Blizzard. As such, the handling of Classic Wow (vanilla content) applies to a special subset of ethics and law.

4 Likes

BC Server Players =/= Server Resetters

These are different groups. That being said, I am keeping an eye out in what Blizz wants to do. I really hope they don’t progress Classic into BC, and we have no option to play Classic, anymore. Likewise, if Server Resets are to happen, I hope they give some sort of option to still play the static version. I prefer to delete my own progress, if I so choose. We’ll see what Blizz decides to do.

2 Likes

They’re probably gonna make a couple of stasis servers. Don’t let the forums get you wound up.

3 Likes

Gonna have to agree that the analogy is entirely unnecessary to making your point.

Any sensible person should be expecting their progress to carry over to TBC while also having a copy of their progress remain on a separate set of vanilla realms.

The point is to provide the game as it was. If Blizzard just moves on from vanilla into TBC and once again leaves specifically vanilla fans without an official home, they’ll just go back to private servers.

I honestly don’t know what you’re arguing in favor of here.

Don’t progress Classic into TBC, but can’t play Classic, either? So… no Classic, at all? Or do you mean TBC, but force everyone to start over?

Both of those options sound pretty stupid, so I’m just wondering what flavor of terrible you’re suggesting here.

okay okay i know in the other thread i said id ignore you but i gotta ask, what legal foundation?

If I had to replay and beat mario 1 before playing mario 2 I would complain.

And yeah that’s exactly the issue we have never lost all our progression when moving to a new expansion and had to start fresh. Because guess what people are actually attached to their characters and the progress they’ve made.

2 Likes

I think you’re probably just saying words at this point.

Legal? Come on, Blizzard is a private company that can do anything they want with their Intellectual Property. You don’t own anything you license access to their service.

Moral? You have a very very skewed perspective on reality for you to humanize a video game expansion to the point of attaching a moral framework onto it.

If you’re going to try and hide your ignorance behind vocabulary to sound smart you should at least have an understanding of what it is you’re trying to say.

3 Likes

So why wouldn’t you want to continue to progress your character?

I think Blizzard should leave some Classic only servers up but the arguments you people are making are 15 years old and ridiculous.

<3 You are smart enough not to shut down communication with those whom you could learn from. Well played, Sir. Keep watching.

1 Like

No… they are clearly saying they hope they don’t progress us to tbc and also not provide vanilla anymore. They believe that progressing to tbc would end vanilla for them as if blizzard wouldn’t provide classic servers.

1 Like

i mean if you can show me something worth while, sure but so far i’m not impressed.
you’ll have to try really hard sith lord

1 Like