Battle.net forum format

You’re so focused on hiding as if that what truly stops people. We’re on the internet, there’s a built in anonymity that makes people post whatever they want usually. The main time people stop is when the mod of whatever they post to takes action. So if the mod doesnt take action, it doesnt matter how one posts something.

1 Like

No one expects having a singular forum ID of some kind to stop all trolling forever. It’s a tool that will help, though. I’ve laid out a ton of ways that it’ll help above and the challenges that it’d help with.

2 Likes

Btags would allow people to mass ignore entire accounts if the chose to and contrary to what people think that is not censor ship .

People having the ability to block what people say is a fundamental right .
Just becausde people have the right to say something it doesn’t mean they have the right to make everyone read or hear what they have to say .

5 Likes

There are third party websites that allow this kind of behavior and BlizzardVisionSoft can’t (won’t?) do anything about it.

2 Likes

That’s not true. I know that for a fact. I may not understand the context of this quote, but I do know that blizz see one alt as all of the account with all your other alts.

Alright. I’m not against btags. That’s not gonna change the fact that people will still complain that they even have to go into a thread to ignore the poster.

You’d have a lot more support ignoring the btag focus and making blizz realize the tools we currently have are not good enough. If I believe a thread will lead to nonsense, I should be able to hide it from my sight so i dont have to see it constantly bumped without ever even giving a look inside.

1 Like

In game? Sure. On the WoW Forums where the links between your alts and your main were purposely broken to make each alt its own account to the forum software? Not so much.

The moderators on this forum specifically can’t easily see that posts are coming from the same person. They need to dig in, do research and verify it.

The Blues have even admitted it, and said that they want to make changes to the way the forums work. Unfortunately, Blizzard prioritizes potentially expensive updates to nonessential systems at a pretty low priority unless people get froggy about it on a consistent basis. The bluepost where Vrak said that was from the Year of Our Lord 2019.

That’s why there have been all the threads about it, and they’ve gone on for so long. We want it to be known, and visible, that we want the updates to be prioritized.

5 Likes

Yes, but the level of anonymity of a poster on a forums shouldn’t be this bad. One name, one poster. It get’s so bad that sometimes, entire threads is just one person talking to himself sometimes with his alts. The forum shouldn’t be that bad, and no other forum is that way minus free account making forums, but those forums is notoriously bad with that.

3 Likes

That’s what I meant, though. A moderator worth their position would always do this, in my opinion. If we have mods that do not do that, that’s a bigger problem.

I’m not saying to not talk about it, but spread your focus around. This thread only started with a focus around btag as if it’d fix so many issues. Talking about btag is not a general way to go about bringing in changes. Gotta talk about way more fixes. Not what one change can fix.

I cant seem to block a specific thread from the thread list page in the overwatch forums. So talking about only btag is not helpful to me. Therefore I am a little argumentative in such a thread as it is too simple and not very helpful to the whole idea that they want to change.

the hint that they have seen it repeatedly and spamming it again and again is going to accomplish nothing.

how can u tell if hes an classic? i don’t see classic on our names anymore and gear looks modern unless im blind lol not sure if anyone else cant see classic on our names but i havent in a while

I think it’s mostly about choosing our battles. There are several things that go wrong on the forums - inconsistent moderation, sometimes the mods don’t look into issues as deeply as they could, delayed moderation, on top of all the things that having a forum ID of some kind might help with.

Focusing on a singular forum ID is a way to winnow the problems that we’re rabbling about down to something that’s actionable, something that’s not subjective, something that’s a solid, real thing that they can do outside of “hire more and better people” and “train better and emphasize consistency” that will help by making the jobs of those people easier to do, and give people on the forum self-serve tools to help curate their own experiences and further lighten the load on the moderation team.

A lot of people like to complain about “I don’t like this and I want it to be better”, but that’s not especially helpful - especially when it comes to criticizing the quality and numbers of a company’s staffing. “Quality” can be very subjective, and numbers are just pure guessing. Giving people tools to ignore all of a person’s characters with a single request, making it so that they only have one “voice” with changeable faces but a single overarching identity, are both something that could happen, because they happened on the other Blizzard forums. It’s just a matter of reworking the forums to do it, it’s cut and dry and objective and technical.

2 Likes

Mouse over the player’s portrait, shows what server they are on. Classic servers are kinda unique and don’t share the same names with retail.

What you advocate for actually has both. Char-server + bnet, so downsides of both.

You can do that with free bnet accounts - no subscription or anything needed.

Oh it was, if you think otherwise you were not looking.

2 Likes

I see some of the anti crowd is starting to show up, just a reminder: DO NOT ENGAGE WITH THEM. They are just here to try and get this one shut down.

5 Likes

Until they befriend you through another account and track you anonymously anyway.

Didn’t you lament the recent change concerning the Mythic flying mount skin?

If you had your way that mount would be restricted to Mythic Raiders, which seems to suggest that you’re only interested in a closed off gaming community which public Btags would promote.

1 Like

Not much time today to type up the long-winded post I wanted to, citing all the reasons Btags are not only the easiest option but why they (or a unified forum account) are necessary for these forums.

So I’ll just leave it with: Good morning, everyone! Btags, as the easiest option to implement, are sorely needed if we want these forums to have any semblance of value going forward. Access to 160 ‘alt’ accounts is disruptive and often abused for the sake of trolling and other, more vile purposes - it needs to go! :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

3 Likes

The fact this forum isn’t like every other Blizzard forum confirms in my mind that they love watching us bicker. Anyways…

5 Likes

they don’t need to.
it’s all public information.
why does it need to be hidden?

anyone who believes stalking is an issue, should be embracing the idea of btags.

3 Likes

You’d think that they would, but they are the ones who seem to want to stalk or harass people when they make the claims that BTags will enable it just to be proven wrong.