Battle.net forum format

We need the WoW forums to change to a b-net form.

Why?

1. To tackle ppl with alts masquerading as other people when it’s the same user.
  2. To discourage some trolling attempts (trolling will still happen, but is less likely as people will know they are trolls more easily)
  3. Stops Alt bumping.

And other reasons I have forgotten atm.

Why people think it’s a bad idea:

Stalking, which is not possible due to the ability to block b-net users and reject requests. (actually it’s easier to stalk ppl on the current format because players do not need permission to add a charecter to friends lists)

Actually stalking is the only reason I saw. Just make the forums a B-net format instead of charecter format blizz.

Reasons from posters:

34 Likes

What’s the B stand for?

It’s short for battle.net

What’s wrong with alts?

1 Like

Stalking seems like a really bad problem to have TBH.

2 Likes

We need 13 characters to do what FF14 has.

people tend to jump on multiple alts on the forums to mascarade as “other” users or bump forums.

Also with the poll, they can vote multiple times.

I can stalk you easier with your charecter name then with your battle.net username.

3 Likes

Masquerading is a part of this game.

Can you prove this?

6 Likes

k

/10 char

Also alt’s can like each other to inflate popularity.

1 Like

k /10 char

2 Likes

another btag thread yyyyyyyyyyyyayyyyy

5 Likes

It’s rather an important topic, so yes.

8 Likes

How many times have you been stalked? What did they do that you consider to be “stalking”? I don’t think it’s a big problem at all.

When it is truly a problem, Blizzard can and should deal with it.

The issue with “stalking” is people who can dish it out but can’t take it. When they get called out for hypocrisy (or stalking other players) they project and whine that they should be above criticism, and everyone who counters their claims is “stalking” them. It’s really no different from the claims we see by posters who think that everyone who has a different opinion is “toxic”.

This is forum PvP. If you stay civil, you won’t get flagged.

1 Like

Hmmn I smell a alt , I thought alt hopping was something you were trying to say you are against…

Can’t tell me your two aren’t the same person, if you say you’re not I have a bridge across the river you can buy.

2 Likes

All the previous threads about Battletags were closed. I think Blizzard is trying to censor this topic. The last thread was not even toxic.

They should just add an option to disable all Battle.net friend requests.

1 Like

Check their pets. Same account.

3 Likes

Name was more than enough, don’t need to go that far to check when couldn’t even change out the toon name so half of it didn’t match lmao

It is, but at this point there is not much gained by making more threads about it. It just crosses over into spam, or trying to troll the crowd who enjoys posting misinformation. Blizzard is well aware of the issues with the forums, and has raised the issues internally, before the forum posts even started. This is going to be up to Blizzard mgt and of course, whatever happens, will happen at the speed of … Blizzard. Which is glacial.

Reposting so that others have a broader view of the forum issues - and that most of us don’t want chars to be gone. They just want the Btag/single ID system added and shown.

It is actually a lot more than “just trolls”.

• Forum resets when changing server, name, or char. Trust level, post history, post count, likes/flags, are all tied to the forum account which is currently charname-server. Every time someone transfers or has a name change, it wipes their forum account to the start. Any new char they use, starts at zero. That gets a fair amount of tickets/complaints to CS.
  • Btags give account wide Ignore. Treating char-server as forum accounts means Ignore is only for that one char instead of all the chars on that Bnet account. It means people can, and do, make more chars to evade ignores and keep bothering individuals.
  • Btags are more secure. They don’t let anyone talk to you, add you, or see where you are without your permission. Char-server allows people to add you in-game without your permission, message you, find where you are, mail you, etc. Even see if you get a name change. Btags don’t. They keep anyone from talking to you without you giving them permission to add you as a friend.
  • Using multiple characters to abuse the reporting system. Each char has a set of flags, so when someone runs out on one char, they use the other chars to report the same person. Yes, it is against the forum rules and some people do get suspended, but it makes more work for the mods and they don’t catch it all. One Bnet with one set of flags greatly reduces false flagging. Same with a more minor issue of “fake likes”, although that is not really damaging.
  • Last, sock puppets and people switching chars to just make trolling threads. Those do cause a lot of disruption and extra mod work. It costs Blizz money to clean it up and it can interfere with attempts at honest discourse.

I don’t care if they do Battletags like all the other Blizzard forums, or a WoW single ID for the forums, it would all be resolved by changing the forum structure back. IF they do Btags, I would hope anyone who does not have a free change left, would get one so they can select something they are comfy with, and that does not break the forum rules.

Of course, nobody wants chars to go away or transmogs, so using those for the avatar is welcomed. It would just also denote the Btag/forum account name.

22 Likes

I had a stalker, but then I found his wifes facebook account and that was the end of that >:)