More Flexibility with Essences

We’ve just made a significant update to the new Echoes of Ny’alotha system, with the goal of making Essences much more available to your characters whose specializations put them in different roles (tanking, healing, damage).

With this change, we’ve lifted the restrictions on acquiring role-specific Azerite Essences from MOTHER. Now, the various ways that you obtain Rank 3 tanking, healing, or damage-specific Essences are now grouped together. If you’ve earned any of the three Essences in these groups, all three of the Essences will be unlocked for purchase from MOTHER with Echoes of Ny’alotha:

• Spark of Inspiration, Unwavering Ward, Strength of the Warden (obtained from Horrific Visions)
  • Touch of the Everlasting, Spirit of Preservation, Breath of the Dying (obtained from reputation with Rajani)
  • Blood of the Enemy, Artifice of Time, Sphere of Suppression (obtained from Battlegrounds)
  • Condensed Life Force, Vitality Conduit, Azeroth’s Undying Gift (obtained from raiding in The Eternal Palace)
  • Essence of the Focusing Iris, Life-Binder’s Invocation, Anima of Life and Death (obtained from Mythic Keystone dungeons)

As a reminder, this was already the case with Purification Protocol, Nullifcation Dynamo, and Well of Existence (the Rustbolt Resistance Essences) as well as The Ever-Rising Tide, Aegis of the Deep, and The Unbound Force (the Nazjatar Essences).

A side-effect of this change is that even a single character now has a way to obtain these off-role Essences, and can either use Echoes to purchase them from MOTHER or use the original means of acquisition. That means that your Priest who raided Azshara in Shadow-spec and got Condensed Life-Force up to Rank 3 is now able to obtain Vitality Conduit from MOTHER for a Holy-spec healing boost.

Thank you for all of your feedback on this!

65 Likes

awesome change!

4 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Didn’t think it was really needed but thank you Blizzard! Now hopefully people can stop complaining but I’m sure they’ll find something new

5 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Was very much needed as it punished players for maining pure DPS while the game was insanely alt unfriendly.

I’m very grateful they listened.

16 Likes

Thanks a bunch! Another great change. Between these late game system changes and the exp boost it is going to be a great time to level and play my alts!

any plans on adding conflict and strife Rank 3 into one of these groupings? As it is right now its one of the longest to achieve rank 3 on to unlock at the account wide compared to others

1 Like

Now let azerite armor drop from keys :3

2 Likes

Awesome, this will do a lot of good for my healer druid

Conflict and Strife is already available for alts though. There’s no role-specific essence for them.

4 Likes

I should of clarified, I mean unlocking the rank 3 essence itself. As it is right now if you aren’t a higher tier arena player itll take over month and a half

1 Like

It wasn’t “punishing” anything. My main was a rogue up until a few weeks ago. You still had plenty of essences to choose from when purchasing including the more difficult to grind (Conflict, Mechagon, and Nazj). The main ones you were missing was the EP ones and honestly not a giant deal because they were only BIS for a few specs and you weren’t missing much picking another instead

And it has been out for almost a year.

It would have required us to do these grinds AGAIN on our alts. Which is counter intuitive to the entire idea behind this system.

No one wants to grind 30,000 honor again. M+ again. Eternal Palace again. Etc.

On that note, is there any plan to reduce the grind for Eternal Palace? :confused: It’s an outdated raid, and finding a group is near impossible. LFR Only will take 6 months.

Eternal Palace takes 6 months in LFR and is an outdated raid, and they haven’t reduced THAT grind, so I doubt it.

4 Likes

Okay but again most specs don’t use the honor artifacts, M+ one is a joke and not exactly a “grind”, and again the EP ones are only BIS for a few specs and in some cases not by much so not a necessity. You had access to 75% of the essences already so like I said not exactly “punishing”

Agreed.
Or at least tie it to Ny’alotha somehow.

2 Likes

How many specs still have CLF as their best essence? I know it’s down from 8.2 tier. When I say best I mean by a large margin, to make it worth doing EP.

If not major, a good portion still use it as minor.

Survival still wants CLF for major, but I dont have rank 3.

BotE is BiS for most classes in AoE. Pretty much every MDPS runs it in m+ and Hunters also run it in m+ if they don’t have enough Primal Instincts (even then it is still good).