Obtaining Rank 3 Essences on Alts

No, I said you have a use for it. You refusing to use it for that purpose does not mean that use does not exist. Only you can define whether the currency has value for you, but whether it has a use or not is objectively verifiable.

What do you mean by redundant? Are you referring to the fact that these essences can now be earned via alternative and easier methods? Or is this currency being something you don’t intend to use somehow “redundant”?

It would help a lot if someone maintained an updated guide as to what one needs to do to level a toon to the current maximum and describes which quests, dungeons, raids, achievements, etc. are actually necessary if one wants to do everything needed to keep the toon up to date in terms of Level, iLvl, special, as well as the many added complexities Blizz adds (think Rank 3 Essences, dealing with MOTHER, Echos of Ny’alotha, and whatever other esoteric activities are required to keep a toon ready for the next bizarre, chaotic, confusing thing Blizz adds to WoW.

I am still trying to gain Flight in BFA due to my reluctance to join groups doing essential instances because I am fairly sure I will be seen as slow, largely because of high latency between me in USA and others in Oceania all playing in the Caelestrasz (sp?) realm which is physically hosted on a server Down Under.

So, unless I find groups with other laggy players who are not into anything PvP and are just happy to do whatever must be done to proceed in game, it seems like Shadowlands is going to be more of the overly complicated, very contrived things that has cost WoW millions of users.

I thought having nothing to do while social distancing in the real world would provide lots of time to get some of my favorite toons caught up. it is not easy to determine what I need to do next with each toon in question since the steps I need to take are spread out over slew of shorter, nicely detailed guides combined with what I call Survey guides that just give some general information about things to do in assorted zones, and every once in a while Pathfinder tool which is helpful but could be improved a lot.

Ideally, a Pathfinder guide would have an over view of what requirements must be met for a toon to begin the journey to the goal/object of the guide. Clicking on large steps in the middle should do more than point to a bunch of things that can be done in a zone or instance, but rather lead the player step by step though each of the things that must be done to reach the goal, and briefly describe other activities that may be fun but can be skipped without locking out future progression in game and are not needed for the specific goal the guide is all about.

Some changes Blizz has made recently are great. The new AH is designed to make it irritating for peeps to list 100 stacks of five items as 100 distinct auctions.

If AH were made a more powerful tool for obtaining things a toon needs and not just a way to covert items into gold at market prices, it would be wonderful for those of use who want to buy items at AH that will improve a toon and save a lot of grinding that would be required to obtain many such items as drops, quest rewards, etc. There standard AH UI is badly crippled because it does not allow a player to search for wildcard items (no specific item name is entered to all items that meet the Lvl, iLvL, toon Lvl, quality filter, usability filter, etc. In short, it does a lousy job of letting on look through all the actions to see what gear is better than what the toon has, and the detailed info about the item such as minimum toon level required to use it, iLvL, and what special properties and abilities the item has.

I tend to use the TSM AH add-on and it works very well for what it was designed for: gaining gold by selling lots of commodity items or even a few expensive items the toon has picked up in recent adventuring.

If the base TSM AH add-on was modified to let a user search for unnamed (or named) items that meet the users requirements using a greatly improved advanced search, it would make leveling toons faster for many of us and trivial for those who are affected by the gold cap per toon.

The notion of southbound items makes sense for very special cases where the item is powerful or purposed enough that it will bond to a toon who can use it. But BoP is an ugly game contrivance clearly meant to prevent players from maybe finding what they want at AH rather than scouring the region or doing a time consuming quest or instance and hoping what drops and binds to the toon is of benefit to that toon, and in very rare instances, a very good addition to his gear.

SIGN I was striving for brevity, but being a good person who is maintaining proper social distancing, I end up writing long screeds spanning a mixture of topics.

Coronavirus (covid-19) is not doing my writing style any good but making it rather verbose. It is all the fault of covid-19.

Regards,
FractalZ

I honesty try to avoid oce leaders because the lag is just absurd but that’s the way of things…

I strongly suggest you put a tag on your groups “oce” or I would legit write down groups from all oceania servers and try to find oce groups that you won’t lag I’m sure you would have a much better time but I’m sure it might take longer to do your activities so you have a choice here…

It’s nothing personal but my play experience turns into frustration when I play with oce servers.

bfa account wide essences that is what I want the essences I grinded on my main on all my alts so that I can use them and have more fun and more content to do you know what I don’t want is another currency to grind another currency that’s dog sludge holding me back from using my other alts. I WANT ACCOUNT WIDE ESSENCES NOT ANOTHER CURRANCY TO FARM

The new system is “ok”. Not quite what we were looking for, but not too punishing.

It is still pretty asinine that some essences require massive 8.2 content grinds. Either because you are returning or some dps or healer or whatever class that didn’t need it in the past.

So all issue stem from the fact that this was a retention system. It still shows.

1 Like

You get Echoes if there’s something you can purchase from Mother that you don’t already own. Essences are unlocked for purchase if you either own that essence directly at rank 3+ on any other character on your account, or if any character on your account (including the current one) has unlocked an essence from that same group (ie. source, groupings can be found in this blue post). You can only purchase an essence if it is unlocked via the above, and the current character does not have that essence at rank 3+, and the essence is for a role that character can perform.

For any character except pure DPS, if they unlock a rank 3 for one role from any of the groups in the above link, they’ll immediately start seeing Echoes drop, because they won’t yet have gotten the rank 3 from that same source for the other roles they can perform. For example, if a paladin unlocks Breath of the Dying Rank 3 from the new 8.3 rep, they’ll start receiving Echoes, as they can now purchase both Touch of the Everlasting (tanking) and Spirit of Preservation (healing) using those Echoes, since both of those also come from the 8.3 rep.

However, if a Hunter unlocks rank 3 Breath of the Dying (and has no other rank 3’s unlocked on his/her account), they will not receive Echoes, as both of the other two essences from the 8.3 rep are ones hunters cannot use, as they can neither heal nor tank. They cannot purchase anything from MOTHER as a result, and thus, no Echo drops.

So if your main is a pure DPS and none of your alts have any rank 3’s that your main lacks, your main will not receive Echoes. Same if your main is not a pure DPS, but has all of the tanking and/or healing essences at rank 3 from the same sources as you have DPS essences at rank 3.

So, you may not be receiving Echoes on your main because it is a pure DPS (just an inference), and your friend would be receiving them because they are not a pure DPS, so their rank 3 has unlocked the 1 or 2 other rank 3’s from that same source for purchase from MOTHER.

Unfortunately, this does mean that pure DPS mains will have a difficult time enabling Echo drops so they can save up while alts pursue various other Essences. That’s one of the major complaints about how Blizzard chose to implement this system, actually.

A Currency Exchange (located right next to every Bank or Auction House) would fix most of the problems Blizzard created (in an effort to make life difficult for gold farmers according to one popular explanation) when it became obvious that with every new expansion, a new currency was used for monetary rewards and that Gold, while still used when buying or selling mundane or generic items and services common to WoW and all of its expansions) was “not good enough” to bypass some of the more tedious, annoying, ridiculously over-complicated, or just plain FUBAR elements of the game.

Random PvP encounters outside of Arenas, Battlefronts, Brawlers Guild events, and similar explicitly defined times and locations caused a lot of people to quit WoW. I would have been one of them if I had foreseen just how overused Contested Territories would become. They allowed Blizzard to use PvP in place of PvE content excessively. It costs more in the TW to have content which conforms to the original way PvE realms were defined. For people who like the more recent expansions a lot because they penalize anyone who has zero interest in ranked competitive PvP events as well as having to accept PvP as a practical norm in order to progress at about the same pace as avid PvP fanatics do in the newer Xpacs.

I recall making similar comments about Battle Pets and Pet Battles becoming short cuts for players who are into collections and enjoy being able to make some kind of game progress by using their toon’s Battle Pets as surrogates for the toon itself in very limited and rather slow combat sequences. In other words, Blizz just assumed that all WoW players would have fun in virtual cockfights (or dog fights, mongoose versus rattlesnake fights or old variations of surrogate blood sports such as bear-baiting) and that no players would object to it for the simple reason that it is not entertaining when it becomes a built-in feature of the game.

It would be a major improvement if players could opt to get rid of the Menagerie in their Garrisons and use the space as a meta-size parcel of land for another “elective” building, for example a Trading House (AH) and a Store House (Bank) in addition to the Mage Tower or Dwarven bunker, to make the garrison more of a merchant center; or a Forge, and a Bunker so a toon with Mining Skill could also have a Gem Boutique and be able to customize gear made at the Forge.

Essentially, instead of wasting valuable garrison land on a Menagerie, players who are not into Pet Battles at all could replace that useless building with one that allows them to do more with raw materials that come via fishing, mining, and herbalism or just store more things in the garrison.

Having a meta-building in place of the Pet Menagerie seems to be great option for the many players who would be happy if Pet Battles were never introduced in WoW. Players who like Pet battles (or collecting) might want to use the plot of land that has the Garden for a different purpose, since it is a large parcel that people might want to put a different (small, medium, or large) building on.

If you had the option to replace the Menagerie with any other optional building, would you? With what? No, a Pet Semetary [sic] is not currently an option.

Didn’t like the “reforging” but it grows on ya, then this tries to replace it when Blizzard DITCHED the reforging. Am with you as far as avoiding more farming for endless blizzard glee

great now do the same for reputation, and professions and were all set to play instead of grind against multiboxers.

Some people only want to PVE but some of their alts prefer Blood of the Enemy. People hated essences so much because many of them had to do content they DIDNT want to do. The compromise establishes a way for alts to - not get ahead start - but to achieve their goals in a different way. It’s purely an alternative.

This feature seems bugged still. I have no clear main, and a mix of 120s. I’ve logged on each toon and even each spec on each toon that may have a rank 3 essence, none of my characters are maxed on rank 3 essences. To date, 3 of my 120s (with the legendary cloak rank 6 or higher), are still not even receiving [Echoes]. Then, there are 2 other alts that have 500+ [Echoes] and Mother doesn’t even offer anything for sale. Yet, on the other alts, they can see what Mother has for sale.

Case in point, 120 pally and 120 monk, right? Both at the same point of progression in the game, neither maxed on essences or with the same essences. One is receiving [Echoes] but does not get the ability to even see Mother’s “for sale” items. The other sees what she has for sale. And for some reason my 120 shaman still isn’t even earning them, and he’s at the same point in progression, but he CAN see what mother has for sale.

bugged for sure, and have put in a few tickets and they just link me to this thread. ok.

1 Like

Why only rank 3? why not just add all the essence ranks? I’m currently trying to do the quest to get Blood of the Enemy Rank 1, as I did not pvp much on my old main and its currently impossible for me to compete in that environment because it is dominated by players who vastly overpower a new 120. Please allow all the essence ranks to be bought from Mother, especially since they are such a major part of gameplay at the moment. What does only selling the rank 3 essences for alts accomplish?

The point here wasn’t people want power without effort. The fact is that this late in the expansion people were still grinding these bullcrap essences on their many alts. The essences are a baseline mechanic. This is the reason for catch up mechanics on the heart just like on Legion Artifacts.
Have a new alt this late in the expansion and want to:
1)PvP
-not happening, can in no way compete.
2)Mythic Plus
-Can’t get into groups in the LFG and if you do you will be booted for not doing the new norm for damage and healing
3) Raid
-Not without all 4 essences at rank 3
4) Grind World Quests and only World Quests for 5 weeks before you can actually play you alt that you leveled to 120?
-This is the only thing you will be doing as nothing competitive or requiring the damage and healing given by essences will be accessible until you have at least 2 essences at rank 3 as all dungeons and raids are tuned for this baseline mechanic that isn’t given to new characters as a baseline.
If the discussion was regular high end gear you would actually have a point. However, as stated above, this is a baseline mechanic.
Blizzard isn’t doing this to help players, Blizzard is doing this for two reasons:

1. to keep people playing longer show they can show playtime numbers to investors.
  2. placate the dissenters enough to stay but also anyone still dissenting will be called lazy by the idiots that don’t have critical thinking skills.

Back in the day if you wanted to play every class you had to level then put in the work to gear the character, that is expected. However the baseline systems implemented are the same as leveling from 1- max level all over again.
-Azerite gear (adds 3k-38k dps with BiS traits)
-Essences (adds 9k-60k dps depending on situational use)
-Corruption ( adds 20k-300k dps depending on stat build and RNG procs)
This is why people say “come on blizzard just give us the essences if we have them unlocked on one toon already”
There is no logical reason for this asinine system to even exist in the first place, much more for us to have to do it on any new character we want to play.
If I was still the 19 year old hardcore player chasing High Warlord in Vanilla it would make sense for me to spend 9 hours a day per toon to max it out for one particular activity.
As a casual player with 19 120 alts there is no reason why I shouldn’t be able to get at least half of them max geared by playing 1 hour a day five days a week doing my daily Emissaries/BGs/Mythic+ runs.
TL;DR
Basically, the gist of the whole argument for account wide essences is this
“Blizzard, your bullcrap system within a system isn’t fun, it is just garbage. Just let me play the game I paid to play with my friends. Don’t make me hate it like it is a horrible job unless you plan to pay me.”

2 Likes

Your points here I wish I could copy and paste everytime someone mentions how even new/returning/alts need to do the same work, “put in the same effort as I did”, when the expansion came out almost two years ago.
Additionally, I think Blizz could still keep sub numbers without the pointless grind/time-gating at this point. Like you said, even if I play an hour each day 5 days a week, I’m still subbed. Locking key aspects of gameplay behind day to day gates actually makes me want to unsub and find a different game whose design philosophy isn’t to make me feel like I’m punching in.

Is this not live anymore? The echo cost is 2500 now, not 500. Am I missing something?

You seem to have missed the part where echoes were made far easier to acquire and in greater quantity (x5) so the essence price jumped up accordingly (x5). You now get essences from your daily emissary as well as visions and other activities in game.

You can also use essences to buy Malefic cores to catch up your cloak’s corruption resistance once it’s rank 15 if you havent been diligently getting your cores every week through the standard methods.

Essences can also now be used to purchase vessels for horrific visions so you don’t necessarily have to do the assaults to do visions anymore and you can also buy specific corruptions for your gear (the selection rotates each week).

Hey Blizz, CAn we make this available on all alts for PRe-patch plz thank you plz?

2 Likes

Hello,

I was directed to this thread by a game master.

I earned rank 3 Ripple in Space on one character but none of my alts can purchase it from MOTHER. it says “Item is Locked.” They have progressed the questline far past the point of being sufficient to access this system. In some cases I see others available for purchase, but not the one I need.

No idea what the issue would be, but, why would you want to?

5% movement speed