Obtaining Rank 3 Essences on Alts

Still can’t get blood of the enemy on my shadow priest, despite having rank 3 on my rogue. Thought you were supposed to have fixed this? You haven’t. Fix it now.

This sentiment is why they made this currency only drop if you could purchase something in the first place, and why there are so many hijinks and so much kludge in the new system, because they didn’t want people complaining about a currency without use on their mains.

Frankly, I’d rather have a currency I don’t (currently) have a use for on my main, rather than not being able to earn that currency at all on my main and then having to start the grind on him from scratch if one of my alts gets an essence my main doesn’t yet have (like, say, one of the PvP ones).

You can now purchase variants of rank 3’s you own that are for other roles. For example, if you’ve got the DPS essence from Horrific Visions at rank 3, but not the healing or tanking one, as of a hotfix on Friday you can now purchase the healing and tanking one at rank 3 simply because you have any of the essences from that source, even on your main.

1 Like

They either never removed them from emissaries, or have now restored them:

Just give us the essences man common just another boring grind you put on boring grinds from 8.3

total blah

But…

Here’s some detail for my rank 3 DPS essences on my max level characters:

Druid Rogue Mage Hunter
Blood of the Enemy
Breath of the Dying
Essences of the Focusing Iris
Memory of Lucid Dreams
Purification Protocol
Spark of Inspiration
The Crucible of Flame
The Unbound Force
Vision of Perfection
Worldvein Resonance
Condensed Life-Force
Conflit and Strife
Ripple in Space
The Formless Void

As you can see, my druid has all the essence that other 3 characters does, but he's receiving echoes now so something must've changed.
1 Like

Right, but do you have the healing and tanking variants from each of those sources? For example, Breath of the Dying is a DPS essence, and the same source (initial 8.3 quest chain, R3 from Rajani rep) also rewards Touch of the Everlasting and Spirit of Preservation. Due to the hotfix, simply having Breath of the Dying at Rank 3 now makes it so your main can also purchase both Touch of the Everlasting and Spirit of Preservation directly at Rank 3 from Mother for Echoes, even if you’ve not acquired Rank 1 or 2 for them from the Rajani quartermaster. The same goes for the other grouped ones (list of groups can be found in the post I linked: More Flexibility with Essences).

So unless your druid also has every healing and tanking essence at Rank 3 that comes from the same source as any DPS essence you have, your druid can now acquire Echoes, and can use them to purchase said tanking and healing essences.

I can´t get the echoes with my main character he has rank 4 essences and 5 rank 3, but my alts can get the currency what can I do?

A character having rank 3’s doesn’t mean that character will receive Echoes. In order for a character to receive Echoes, there needs to be Rank 3 Essences you do not possess but you are eligible to purchase. In order to be eligible to purchase a Rank 3 Essence, you need to have unlocked at rank 3+ that same Essence, or one from the same source, on any character on your account, and the current character must not yet have that essence at Rank 3+, and that Essence must be for a role your character can perform.

As an example, if your main is a pure DPS (so only eligible for pure DPS Essences), and there are no Essences that your alts have gotten to rank 3 but your main has not, you won’t get Echoes, because you wouldn’t be able to purchase anything with them.

Does that make sense?

Oh found it, my druid has a rank 2 Anima of Life and Death. So… It’s been activated for this character will he keep receiving the echoes even after he’s got the rank 3 (next reset)?

You need to login to a character that has some rank 3 essences (e.g. Purification Protocol), then login to a character that doesn’t have Purification Protocol and the second character can start receiving echoes.

Blizz will not return any echoes that you missed out on the first character you login to :smiley:. Don’t be too upset, many others did the same thing on reset day including me (missed out 350++ echoes).

No idea, tbh. I cautioned in another thread that it’s very possible characters will stop receiving Echoes once they install the last currently Essence that have currently available for purchase from MOTHER. Thus far, I’ve not seen information either way as to whether it is a one-time enable toggle, or if it will disable itself again once you get all the Essences you’re currently eligible to purchase on that character. May be a wise choice to withhold purchasing at least one Essence from MOTHER so you can continue stockpiling Echoes.

please never again do essences… I can’t believe I got punished because I decided to drop your game back on 8.2 now I have to keep finding groups that progress on 8.2 content at 8.3 there’s no sign from you to change the amount either so yeah

yes I’m talking about eternal palace essences.

1 Like

Welcome to the FOMO design philosophy. You must never, ever stop playing, because if you do you will miss out.

I’ll tell you the result next reset.

I can’t purchase anything though and I am getting it dropping.

Maybe they figure I should be purchasing roles I don’t play since they changed that. Not everyone is so OCD they want essences on roles they don’t play though.

You can purchase things. Just because you they are for roles you don’t wish to play doesn’t mean you can’t purchase anything with it.

And ya, some peeps like to play their offspecs.

so we are back to where we started.

Your refusal to play your off specs isn’t a failure of the game. So this currency isn’t useful to you right now. Ok, simply ignore it. Blizz trying to cater to people like you by not dropping the currency at all unless you have something to purchase with it is why this system is as clunky as it already is.

I mean, what’s the difference to you if you have a pile of Echoes on your currency tab that you don’t want to use on offspecs, versus them simply not dropping? Does it hurt you for that currency to be there?

Honestly, of all the reasons to quit, if this is what causes you to unsub, the game is probably better off without you, and you’re almost certainly better off finding a game more suited to your…unique demands.

2 Likes

You are the one who engaged me, trying to insist this currency was of value to me, it isn’t.

They can’t just keep on making people’s effort redundant. It is destroying the game. Evenually, even people like you will see that.

No, I said you have a use for it. You refusing to use it for that purpose does not mean that use does not exist. Only you can define whether the currency has value for you, but whether it has a use or not is objectively verifiable.

What do you mean by redundant? Are you referring to the fact that these essences can now be earned via alternative and easier methods? Or is this currency being something you don’t intend to use somehow “redundant”?

It would help a lot if someone maintained an updated guide as to what one needs to do to level a toon to the current maximum and describes which quests, dungeons, raids, achievements, etc. are actually necessary if one wants to do everything needed to keep the toon up to date in terms of Level, iLvl, special, as well as the many added complexities Blizz adds (think Rank 3 Essences, dealing with MOTHER, Echos of Ny’alotha, and whatever other esoteric activities are required to keep a toon ready for the next bizarre, chaotic, confusing thing Blizz adds to WoW.

I am still trying to gain Flight in BFA due to my reluctance to join groups doing essential instances because I am fairly sure I will be seen as slow, largely because of high latency between me in USA and others in Oceania all playing in the Caelestrasz (sp?) realm which is physically hosted on a server Down Under.

So, unless I find groups with other laggy players who are not into anything PvP and are just happy to do whatever must be done to proceed in game, it seems like Shadowlands is going to be more of the overly complicated, very contrived things that has cost WoW millions of users.

I thought having nothing to do while social distancing in the real world would provide lots of time to get some of my favorite toons caught up. it is not easy to determine what I need to do next with each toon in question since the steps I need to take are spread out over slew of shorter, nicely detailed guides combined with what I call Survey guides that just give some general information about things to do in assorted zones, and every once in a while Pathfinder tool which is helpful but could be improved a lot.

Ideally, a Pathfinder guide would have an over view of what requirements must be met for a toon to begin the journey to the goal/object of the guide. Clicking on large steps in the middle should do more than point to a bunch of things that can be done in a zone or instance, but rather lead the player step by step though each of the things that must be done to reach the goal, and briefly describe other activities that may be fun but can be skipped without locking out future progression in game and are not needed for the specific goal the guide is all about.

Some changes Blizz has made recently are great. The new AH is designed to make it irritating for peeps to list 100 stacks of five items as 100 distinct auctions.

If AH were made a more powerful tool for obtaining things a toon needs and not just a way to covert items into gold at market prices, it would be wonderful for those of use who want to buy items at AH that will improve a toon and save a lot of grinding that would be required to obtain many such items as drops, quest rewards, etc. There standard AH UI is badly crippled because it does not allow a player to search for wildcard items (no specific item name is entered to all items that meet the Lvl, iLvL, toon Lvl, quality filter, usability filter, etc. In short, it does a lousy job of letting on look through all the actions to see what gear is better than what the toon has, and the detailed info about the item such as minimum toon level required to use it, iLvL, and what special properties and abilities the item has.

I tend to use the TSM AH add-on and it works very well for what it was designed for: gaining gold by selling lots of commodity items or even a few expensive items the toon has picked up in recent adventuring.

If the base TSM AH add-on was modified to let a user search for unnamed (or named) items that meet the users requirements using a greatly improved advanced search, it would make leveling toons faster for many of us and trivial for those who are affected by the gold cap per toon.

The notion of southbound items makes sense for very special cases where the item is powerful or purposed enough that it will bond to a toon who can use it. But BoP is an ugly game contrivance clearly meant to prevent players from maybe finding what they want at AH rather than scouring the region or doing a time consuming quest or instance and hoping what drops and binds to the toon is of benefit to that toon, and in very rare instances, a very good addition to his gear.

SIGN I was striving for brevity, but being a good person who is maintaining proper social distancing, I end up writing long screeds spanning a mixture of topics.

Coronavirus (covid-19) is not doing my writing style any good but making it rather verbose. It is all the fault of covid-19.

Regards,
FractalZ