Game Freezing on Arcade Tab

I load up starcraft 2. The opening cinematic of stukov loads fine. I hit the arcade tab so I can check out some maps.

The entire game freezes and has to be forced closed. I already went through the scan and repair option from the launcher. Doesn’t fix it.

This thread from 4 years ago was never fixed it seems. [Main Thread] Europe - Game Crashing when in or Searching for Arcade - Technical Support - SC2 Forums (blizzard.com)

I am on the NA server.

9 Likes

This same thing is happening for me also. Started today, from what I can tell (though I haven’t been on SC2 in a couple days).

It starts to load all the lobbies and some will populate, but most of them keep the circling/loading graphic. Whole game locks up but never crashes. Have to close the program via task manager.

2 Likes

Malicious acts are in play. This is not a you problem, this is deliberate.

1 Like

Same here.
I even repaired it but issue persists

1 Like

Issue is not happening. Apparently it is caused by some dude leaving reviews on the custom arcade maps. Which causes a memory leak. Blizzard still hasn’t fixed the problem so anyone with the steps can just do this again.

This issue is happening again, we can’t host custom lobbies anymore

1 Like

This is happening to me as well, I have tried looking for any updates for windows 11, graphic drivers, repaired/ reinstalled the game, turned overlays off, and swapped to Europe (that works) but Americas is in shambles and doesn’t work. I played it fine 2 days ago on Friday and all was working fine, it does seem to be an issue with some sort of bug that is happening and needs to be addressed.

1 Like

Same issue - custom lobbies / arcade completely down. Freezes the application and unable to close, even with task manager. Forced reset only way to get out. Scan and repair found no issues

1 Like

Hey folks,

There’s currently an issue with any tab under the “Custom” game mode that loads custom map names. As long as players don’t select the Custom mode (which defaults to the Lobbies tab) the game won’t freeze.

Yes its with arcade only.
No that does not help. Tried to restart pc 5 times now. Every time it freezes when I go back on

1 Like

It’s a problem with any tab that loads custom map names, not just the Arcade tab.

I didn’t say anything about restarting the system as a being a fix. Also, of course it’s going freeze everytime you go back because there’s a problem that needs to be fixed.

Forgive the copy paste response… just wanted to make sure you were notified.
I’m having the same issue @LemonKodo/everyone else. I tried it this time without clicking the “Custom” first, But rather click:
Campaign
below campaign your sub options are “Official” and “Custom>>”
From Campaign’s sub menu click “Custom>>” (NOT CUSTOM ON THE MAIN TOP TAB) then from there click “Arcade”. Then whatever Arcade game you want to play. That worked for me just now.

The difference I noticed when doing it that way is it doesn’t auto start loading up a bunch of maps or lobbies which something during that action seems to generate the freeze instance everyone’s experiencing.

I feel your pain. You can’t even CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open task manager… you just have to shut it down directly from the CTRL+ALT+DELETE screen or push and hold the power button down. Ridiculously annoying.

Let me know if that doesn’t make sense, or doesn’t work out for you.

gL

1 Like

I’m having the same issue @LemonKodo/everyone else. I tried it this time without clicking the “Custom” first, But rather click:
Campaign
below campaign your sub options are “Official” and “Custom>>”
From Campaign’s sub menu click “Custom>>” (NOT CUSTOM ON THE MAIN TOP TAB) then from there click “Arcade”. Then whatever Arcade game you want to play. That worked for me just now.

The difference I noticed when doing it that way is it doesn’t auto start loading up a bunch of maps or lobbies which something during that action seems to generate the freeze instance everyone’s experiencing.

I feel your pain. You can’t even CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open task manager… you just have to shut it down directly from the CTRL+ALT+DELETE screen or push and hold the power button down. Ridiculously annoying.

Let me know if that doesn’t make sense, or doesn’t work out for you.

gL

1 Like

If you have windows 11, you can drag your task manager to a second desktop and close sc2 that way. That’s what I started doing.

Also, some people keep claiming EU is fine, but when I change regions and go to EU my game still freezes.

Yep!

I’ve seen that work around mentioned a couple times.

That allows players to bypass the “Lobbies” tab when selecting the “Custom” game mode directly. Instead, it opens the “Campaigns” tab (which there doesn’t seem to be an issue at the moment).

The only issue with the work around is that at the end of any type of custom game, it returns to the “Lobbies” tab by default when the score screen appears. So people will get frozen unless they force-close SC2 on the Victory/Defeat/Quit screen.

UPDATE:
See here.

K just an update… consider me your unoficial QA for the moment.

After completing a game in Arcade, when you go to the score screen the default option is the lobbies tab auto selected, and so the game freezes and you have to shut down/restart in order to get out of it… SOOOO if people really want to use this work around… it will work, buuuut you’ll have to restart your computer EVERY time after the game completes. As result even if you use the work around there aren’t a lot of people playing despite it being the weekend… I imagine because they’d rather play something else than put up with that.

Any idea what’s causing the bug and is there a timeframe when we will see a patch/fix? I just hope it’s marked as a higher priority ticket on your end and not a, “We’ll get to it next sprint… maybe.”

Thanks for the updates!

This technically isn’t a fix, but just a duct tape solution: Change the default sub-tab selected as always being whatever the user has selected in their most recent/previous session (or however that’s currently setup). Example… I click custom, default Arcade, unless I change it during that session.

Of course that’s probably just not worth your time if you’re all going to just fix lobbies, but if that’s coded how I think it is, should literally take a programmer 1 minute and would honestly be a neat feature for users anyway.

Good luck

You have to open task manager and close SC2 without accepting the victory / defeat dialogue.

If you have windows 11 you can drag your task manager to second desktop to close SC2 without restarting.

1 Like

Not every system will react the same, but with mine, I just need to close SC2 from the task bar.

Krays’ suggestion above also works as well.

There is an article written by a community member where they break down what they believe the issue to be.

As for a fix, that I don’t know. But as I come across new community info, I pass it along to Bliz.

I started the game w/o logging in on Bnet, then went to EU region, and logged in after pressing play. Started a new ID, and played just fine on the EU server. Like you, just setting my original acct to EU region did not help.

ah I see I’ll give it a try. Thanks!