Custom Game Menu Freeze

Yeah, as everyone is mentioning its a known issue, but it works if you first go into the Campaign tab, and then Custom.

EDIT: Don’t click the Custom Tab up top. Click the small square button that says Custom after going into Campaign.

with that work around you also have to force close sc2 from task manager before you accept a victory / defeat dialogue or your game will lock up when you go back into the game menu

Same exact issue as described. Will a reinstall work or vpn to a different game server?

I’m having the same issues just started today Every time I go to the custom game lobby locks up

You’re not alone Kyle. And there’s ample other threads about this issue, for example:
Game Freezing on Arcade Tab.

Hopefully Blizzard will not only fix the issue soon, but they need to determine exactly what caused this and close the loophole that was exploited. Based on previous posts it appears this issue has been steadily growing and affecting more and more players and regions. I see this was first reported almost a week ago in its most recent activity regarding this issue, so it would definitely appear as if the hacker/exploiter has exploited something that has been causing a chain reaction within Blizzard’s servers, and it has only just now reached a level of more extreme inconvenience, so that’s not good. I hope Blizz has a good team of cybersecurity analysts who can determine what happened, where the breach is occurring, and close it off ASAP.

2 Likes

Based on other posts I have read in other threads surrounding this topic a VPN alone won’t work, but one user tried resetting their account and logging into a different world region, E.G. EU, and they said it worked:

Based on this account I would say a reinstall alone won’t work, but adjusting your region so that the Battle.net server defaults you to a different region, and therefore a different game server might work. I have not personally tested the region change or a VPN.

same problem here 20 character limit

I can confirm switching servers fixed the issue but I wanna play on NA lol

1 Like

i am having this issue to

1 Like

i am having this issue too

1 Like

this works only if you’re creating lobbies. Only the lobbies sub menu in the custom game menu is affected by this. So what you can do, is:

1. Click on the “campaign” menu at the top of your screen.
  2. Click on the “custom” sub menu from there. It should be near the top of your screen.
  3. You can now access the arcade/melee sub menus from there fine but just dont click on the custom tab or else the game will freeze.

now you can create lobbies.

hope this helps. Also if you guys want to know where i found this fix it was on here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/1bcle2x/clicking_on_the_custom_tab_crashed_my_pc/

Hey all,

I posted a full work-around guide over in General Discussion. This can be used while the freezing issues persist.

1 Like

Let me file a bug for you all

Bug title: Custom game freeze
Reproduce steps: 100% reproducible, see above posts for the steps.
Environment: production, NA server
Severity: Crash - In a primary game feature
Priority: High
User Impact: High - All players in North America region

Root cause analysis: XSS - Cross Site Scripting, Malicious scripts injected in Custom game UI (map names that ) exploit client-side vulnerability in Custom game lobby loading screen.

Recommended resolution:

1. Validate and sanitize user inputs in Custom map submission. Use Content Security Policy (CSP) headers ( or any parsing tool) to restrict the sources of executable scripts.
  2. Run security regression tests against all other areas where malicious injection can be executed.
  3. Input Validation at API and Server site: Validate and sanitize all input data on the server-side before processing or storing it. ( I’m sure this is already done in games like SC2, but it needs done better job )

Suggested Future action: Regular Security Audits: Regularly

1 Like

They’ve found a work around to the patch and have begun attacking the arcade again.

Yes, the attacks are back, and they are actually crashing the game this time rather than freezing it. Happens as soon as the Custom tab opens.

Which, I’m assuming will be better in the long run because its generating an automated error report.

Ah, the joys of a free to play game. This is what happens when someone doesn’t have to pay $60 for a new account every time they get banned.

2 Likes

Yeah, haven’t been able to play for a couple of days. Just tried a minute ago, crashed when I click Custome tab. Lobbies don’t load, game freezes. Any fix as of late?

I also experience crashing when I try to access the custom tab. Looks like this has been an issue for many.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/1bcle2x/clicking_on_the_custom_tab_crashed_my_pc/