Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State

And that’s the problem.

We want her to be more complex.

you can still have a reasonably complex hero who is easy to play.

6 Likes

Far from scared. I just know you and you’re little following well enough to know the only thing a discussion with you entails is mass false flags to your detractors.

It is when that person very specifically asked you for permission, got denied, then did it anyway with a snarky comment. That quite literally falls under the definition of trolling.

Now don’t @ me again, or your little following.

It really isn’t against CoC but whatever helps you sleep at night. Besides, I’m still too busy laughing at, “I totally ripped apart Titanium in an off-post but don’t tell her I said that!”.

8 Likes

The quoting feature doesn’t require permission from the person your quoting to use the quote?

also being snarky isn’t against CoC.

you are however to dislike snarky comments as much as you want.

(this is pretty snarky)

and yet most if not all of said people are permenantly banned for breaking coc or on long bans.

there is no evidence to say however to say that any of them were false in their choice to flag said people harassing them,trolling their threads,or etc.

No need to drag this out any further, it’ll only lead to personal attacks and petty insults.

1 Like

No but intentionally trolling does, and the chat logs are more than their regardless if the person deletes the comment.

Nah it’s more like, “we’ve done this before, too many times to count. You’re hopeless and I’m not about to get into a popularity contest with people known to dogpile”

The last one is my personal favorite. In a thread about the “abuse” mercy players get, i called you and the familiar suspects out for playing the victim and dogpiling anyone who disagree’s with you, with evidence to both you and titanium doing it. A random forum user goes to check the evidence and messages me personally saying that it was revolting, how both you and titanium take things way to far.

So what happened? Both you and titanium tried to dogpile that user too, in the same thread about mercy abuse. It’s like the irony is lost on you.

This is why I don’t wish to engage either of you. Now for the second time i told you personally today, don’t @ me again.

That’s arguable.

Ah! The nonexistent dog piling. I’ve already heard this story and have already dismissed it as false. Now, I could ask you present something more worth-while but as of now, you seem to be upset so I’ll give it a day. Also, a quick FYI:
This user you’re referring to, I’ve never even had a discussion with, ever… nvm, went through the replies. WTH. This guy resorted to name calling and what not and said me of all people was the most reasonable out of me and Titanium. Like, if you’re going to say that we dogpiled on someone, atleast make sure this person hasn’t called someone scum beforehand.

6 Likes

Still hoping this thread convinces Blizzard to take a serious look at Mercy. Her current state is underwhelming in every sense of the word.

7 Likes

To actually get the SR you’ve earned, yes you need to win.

But you get SR based on your performance compared to others playing your character and whether or not that team was higher or lower SR than you.

While I can argue up and down about the proposed solutions, I readily agree with the overall sentiment. For two reasons:

• Current situation with single-target Rezz and Valkyria is way worse than the worst AE Rezz situations ever were.
  • Mercy just feels lame now. She’s still required, but she no longer feels meaningful. I’d rather have a one-trick-pony with a meaningful trick than a one-trick-pony with a meh trick which just happens to still be useful and unique enough to be without match.
4 Likes

It’s more of matchmaking issue, not ranking issue. Matchmaking fails to take into account player’s preferred roles, or their preferred heroes, which makes it overestimate or underestimate individual player’s skill rating.

It makes teams, based on average skill rating of players, and matches teams with close ratings against each other. And it’s no different in higher tiers, I believe: if you happen to be good healer, but forced to play DPS, you will lose your rank due to underperforming.

1 Like

True, never thought much about that. But it makes sense, at the very least we’d need 5-6 “sub”-ratings.

Although, the system they use is a 2-tier system I believe? That is, the rating I see is actually the “visible rating” which trails my actual MMR? Because in that case, who knows whether they persist a few “modifiers” to your MMR depending on what you usually play and how the team falls together.

We can’t truly know, can we?

But it’s an interesting point in any case, there’d need to be a way to judge how “narrow” someone’s expertise is.

Yes, that is correct. This is how the system eventually determines that a de-ranker isn’t supposed to be at the low rank he’s currently matched. MMR compensates for things like someone having an off day.

The longer you play Overwatch, the harder it becomes to skew the MMR in either direction, as the MMR is like an average of your performance across your entire ‘career’. This is why people will say you can climb better on a fresh profile; because the MMR only has a short career to average, it’s easier to build the numbers.

4 Likes

Yes but then there comes the issue of Anomaly and MMR

Base on your performance the system will find someone of your statistical equal so that in fights you will never be solely dominant over everyone at your tier unless you purposely hold back and make herself look bad on a statistic level.

Which is why the bronze to GM challenge doesn’t work.

Once the system recognises your skill, it will try to balance it, so that you can’t like solo every match.

That is why every match, the teams are generally forced into an equal match up with roughly a 50% win loss…

This is why rank is annoying because there are bits and pieces here and there that contradicts each other

It should be focus on solo performance, but it isn’t… because one tricking a hero doesn’t mean you could win, example you could start the match as Sombra but Sombra isn’t going to win the team fight, even if you get the best stats off Sombra, the team fight is lost.

The team victory is more important, but at the same time the hero performance is vital and gaining stats is required…

Then there is the issue of flexing… flexibility is a key element to victory yet the system favours single choice picks over multi picking

Then there is the imbalance between dps, tanks and Support and SR gain via what you play.

This is why Comp becomes so messy

4 Likes

Exactly, the system cannot gauge your skill, I arguably have 3 main characters now.

D.Va, Mercy and Widowmaker…

The Match Maker cannot gauge and base my skills on one hero and then expect me to play that hero.

If my skill as Widow is so and so but then I play soldier, Sombra or reaper or even Mercy, Ana or D.Va, Rien and roadhog… The results in that match would then change.

Then there is solo queue vs pre made teams

1 Like

Matchmaker tries to put pre made teams against each other, as it became obvious issue long time ago.

Probably worst(or best) aspect is because it takes time to recalculate your skill, you climb higher by intentionally falling to Bronze and then playing to full strength, as it extends “solo carry” window, until ranking system catches up with your “new” skill rating.

But, if matchmaking can’t find you good match, it goes in “whatever” mode. There was old story of GM players abusing it, by playing in hours when there are no other GM players to play against, tearing apart teams from Diamond and lower. They had abnormally high win rate, as result.

Supports and tanks have problems with stats/win rate correlation: if your team is winning, you actually heal and tank less, and if you lose, you are likely to heal thousands of HP/block thousands of damage. DPS are less affected by it, as more kills/damage -> higher chances of victory -> higher stats + better win rate.

1 Like

In my case, that’d actually be quite easy, since I don’t generally play more than one hero in a competitive season. And if I do play more than one, then it’s usually within the same class (support). On either Brigitte or (previously) Mercy, the match maker can assume I do reasonably well, and match me accordingly.

Problems start when I feel my pick doesn’t work, and swap to the other one. Usually, it doesn’t change the outcome, and so I end up chalking up an L on a character I originally didn’t intend to use that match.

Ah, so that’s how some Xbox GM Mercy mains manage that god-like 75% win rate with dumpster-Mercy.

1 Like

I actually have been tracking my gain lost per match with notes that was going to be used for a YouTube video but considering the decline and drama, I never got round to doing it but largely… most of my gain lost are stable/not different from when I am in silver.

Meaning I am at the correct MMR but the main factors deciding my matches are my team mates

Because if I didn’t belong in gold I would have already returned to silver and if I was a genuine silver, my win loss value wouldn’t be between 20 to 30 points.

What allowed me to climb out of silver, was the fact i duo queued and had 1 reliable friend who knew how to play to help me help, reducing the lottery on getting good team mates

1 Like

Same. I could climb to Diamond in the one season I did, because the friends I played with back then could easily hold their own in Diamond, and sometimes even spiked as high as mid-master. So when we played together and got into a good flow, we’d win dozens of games and shoot up the ranks. But once they stopped playing Overwatch, I was only able to maintain mid-Plat. Which is fine, since that’s what I consider myself to be, but, yeah, it really depends on your team mates, especially if your hero isn’t meta right now.

And also because Competitive is getting progressively worse. Feels like people try less and less, and even with 60 HP/s Mercy, if your team isn’t trying, you’re fighting an uphill battle. So Gold is where I ended up the last season I played before I stopped playing.

1 Like