Welcome to Season 16 of Competitive Play

Hey everyone,

Season 16 of Competitive Play is here!

Unlocked at level 25, Competitive Play is designed for those players who want to put their skills to the test, and offers a more serious experience than our Quick Play or Arcade Modes.

To begin your competitive journey this season, click on the “Play” button, select “Competitive Play” from the submenu, and you’re ready to enter a match. You can join on your own or in a group, and Overwatch’s matchmaking system will automatically find the best game possible for your skill level.

GETTING STARTED

Before you can kick off your competitive career, every player must first complete 10 placement matches to obtain their initial skill rating. This rating will be a number between 1 and 5000, with higher values indicating a greater skill level. Players will also be assigned a tier based on their rating—Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, or Grandmaster—and climbing into the next tier is possible as you improve.

Skill ratings and tier icons will be visible at the beginning of every match. As you compete, your rating will increase or decrease with each win or loss based on a number of factors, including your own performance and the skill of the other players in the match.

A detailed breakdown of the skill tiers, along with icons and information about the corresponding skill ratings can be found by pressing the “Information” button under the Competitive Play menu.

COMPETITIVE REWARDS

In addition to experiencing the thrill of victory, players can also unlock unique rewards through Competitive Play. Anyone who completes their placement matches during a season will receive a special spray and player icon. If you are placed within the Top 500 players on your platform (and in your region) at the end of the season, you’ll receive an extra player icon and animated spray.

On top of that, as you complete competitive matches, you’ll earn a currency called Competitive Points. When the season concludes, you’ll also receive a number of those points (based on your overall performance) to spend on golden versions of your favorite heroes’ weapons.

Here’s the Skill Rating (SR) to Competitive Point (CP) breakdown for Season 16:

SR 1-1499 (Bronze): 65 CP
SR 1500-1999 (Silver): 125 CP
SR 2000-2499 (Gold): 250 CP
SR 2500-2999 (Platinum): 500 CP
SR 3000-3499 (Diamond): 750 CP
SR 3500-3999 (Master): 1200 CP
SR 4000-5000 (Grandmaster): 1750 CP

WHAT’S NEW

• Starting with Season 16 of Competitive Play, Grandmaster players (players with SR >4000) will no longer be able to queue for competitive matches in a party size larger than two. Read here.

• Reminder: You may have noticed there is no Competitive Play off-season break! Going forward when a Competitive Play season ends a new one will immediately begin.

Season 16 is live RIGHT NOW on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, so power up your favorite gaming machine and join the fight. We’ll see you on the battlefield!

13 Likes

Wish me luck everyone! I am off to get my placement matches done right now! Last season I had positive win rates with Pharah and Tracer and I hope to continue that trend this season and actually solidify myself in Platinum.

Everyone, what are each of your goals this season?

Update: Sadly not off the best of starts. 3 wins, 7 losses for placements; 7 wins 13 losses overall after a 20 game session. The match quality started to improve after I got through placements, however quickly turned into pure chaos in the late hours of the night. Its not terrible and I will get back the SR from where I ended last season with over time, but its going to be a bit of a grind again.

Too many players (myself included) want to play the damage role. I tried to play other roles but I am seeing too much feeding by teammates to justify playing tank or support.

11 Likes

Good luck!

20 characters.

1 Like

So no changes? No role queue? Why a new season then? You just changed a number.

22 Likes

Quoting a post by Kornmeal since he said it better than I can:

"Seasons are nice because of the fact you get a timeline for goals, and reference points for adding new heros/balance patches. Also, ideally they should be adding maps in between seasons…

Seasons would be a bit better if that’s when they do balance changes/impliment new changes. Or at least big ones. Also, it’s a comfortable place to give out rewards such as Top 500 icons/sprays." (And also give out competitive points).

3 Likes

TLDR; Blizzard are just lazy and haven’t changed a thing for 2 years.

13 Likes

TLDR; You are just lazy and don’t want to read anything.

5 Likes

We all want a competitive re work :frowning: it would be so much better if it was a individual performance SR instead of just winning or loosing … but blizzard doesn’t listen to their players .

14 Likes

Why do I get a 10 minute suspension when I got disconnected from the game mid match through no fault of my own? Happened literally 1 time and I get a 10 minute suspension and there appears no way to dispute the idiocy.

5 Likes

No mmr/sr reset, people placed within 100± where they left off last season, the grind begins, the smurfing begins, the de-ranking begins.
Good luck people. Better get good as they say.

6 Likes

I start my road to grandmaster today.

3 Likes

My goal is to play way more tracer and widowmaker and see where i end up. I love playing those characters but never played them because of toxic teammates… no more! if i drop i drop, but i will get better!

3 Likes

Hoping to get to Plat this season! Keep improving at Pharah, Moira and Orisa and learn a new hero on the side. Winston, Ashe or Genji!

Check out my latest video: TOP 5 HEROES to play in SEASON 16! And let me know if you agree with the stats :wink:

Nice! Wish you the best of luck!

I’ve started mine in January from Bronze and it’s going pretty well :slight_smile: I’m mid Gold now.

Check out my Youtube Channel if you want some support!

1 Like

hahaha 3 placements already and have had 8 new accounts playing, season has started great.

1 Like

So the only thing new affects an extremely small minority.

And everything else is the same comp mode?

Hard pass.

3 Likes

You realize the 1% of players are still players though, right? Players who have to deal with problems that need fixing, and also make up part of the playerbase like anyone else. Why don’t we forget bronze players at the same time? Who cares about smurfs? They’re only really affecting the extremely small minority of trashcans that play this game, why should I care?

2 Likes

Aye man, I saw your vid, and while i dont agree with everything you say, i just wanted to say the vid was really good. I notice you play Pharah and wanna learn Ashe, i think i can help you with those. If you’re interested in improving, i can coach you (Nickdarick#7021 is my discord). Got to 4500 on Console using Pharah, and on PC my main is now GM. Also one tricked Ashe to 3700.

If not, it’s fine man. Keep up the good videos

Trying to get a DPS ONLY account to GM, peaked at 3850 last season, i think i could get GM this season.

Also wanna get my main to T500, i think this season it SHOULD be easier due to the lack of 3-6 stacks in GM games now (very happy w that change). I think with my improved flexibility, i could get T500 if i play enough games