Symmetra’s Tick Rate is... FIXED!

Her tickrate is 20. Compare that to Zarya with a very similar beam. Zarya’s tick rate is 5.5. This means the chunks of damage Zarya does on a jumping Genji that she skims her beam briefly over will be bigger chunks than the minuscule ones done by Symmetra. Is that fair? No

Symmetra has been abandoned with this bandaid tickrate on her Primary since she came off PTR.

It’s garbage. Absolute garbage.

Pros think it. Casuals think it. Symmetra mains think it. Why is it taking so long to fix? It’s never been addressed by the Devs despite hundreds of posts.

• Edit: This was patched on December 12th and i’m very grateful. This is the 3.0 Sym we deserved. Thank you.
104 Likes

What is the tick rate?

1 Like

Because the devs never ever take into consideration what is suggested for a hero.

7 Likes

Maybe a few months from now they will address it. But only after several other characters get reworks and tweaks. :pensive:

6 Likes

^My BS detector is going off^

I can think off the top of my head right now of at least a dozen changes that devs made based on or directly taken from community feedback. There are probably a heck of a lot more if I really sat and thought about it.

19 Likes

I play in low Gold, and Sym has been tearing it up this season as far as I can tell. Not saying there isn’t something off with her tick rate, but whatever it is, doesn’t keep her from being a beast, especially on defense.

What exactly is wrong with her tick rate?

5 Likes

Feedback based on complaints such as “un-fun” or based on real changes to balance a hero?

One big one I can think of is people asking for Junkrat’s ult charge to be nerfed because it charged to fast. What did the devs do? made his grenades smaller.

Another was for Hanzo, keep his scatter but just cap the max damage it can do to a target so it can’t one shot 2 of the tanks. Naw, they gave him something else that almost as powerful and charges his ult insanely fast at the same time.

2 Likes

You’re acting like low Gold is some god rank, of course she’s strong down there people barely even shoot the turrets let alone prioritize anything.

Symmetra’s m1 tickrate isn’t exactly the problem but it’s mostly the fact that the tickrate makes it deal abysmal damage to armor due to how low the damage per tick is even at max charge, that’s just part of the problem though because the bigger one is probably her fragility.

4 Likes

I didn’t say low gold was a god rank, oh no no no no, far from it.

But high silver-low plat is where the vast majority of overwatch players are, and where the vast majority of games are played. So her being good and effective there is worthwhile to take note of.

4 Likes

Ok, so give me your ideal sym build. If you had to sit down and rework the character, what would you do?

Okay, I’m definitely in favor of major changes to Symmetra’s beam, but… I’m not really convinced the tick rate is an issue.

You see a lot of complaints about how hero X sucks against armor, but… that’s the entire point of armor. Symmetra has a very easy workaround to armor - her secondary fire. Most of the heroes that are weak against armor just kind of have to suffer through it, because it’s an intentional counter.

Unless, you mean the degree of weakness her beam has against armor is too severe? Eg, make it 10 ticks/sec instead of 20 ticks/sec?

Things the devs changed that I recall being specifically asked for:

• Sombra’s hack speed reduced and range increased.
  • Sombra’s hacked packs made visible through walls to teammates.
  • Solider’s DPS reduced.
  • Widow’s aim assist on console adjusted.
  • Hog’s instant-kill hook combo nerfed.
  • Hog’s heal able to be used while moving.
  • McCree range DPS decreased.
  • McCree roll recharge reduced.
  • Doomfist rocket punch hitbox decreased.
  • Hanzo scatter arrow removed.
  • Orisa primary fire improved (spread reduced, fire rate increased)
  • Lucio AOE increased.
  • Torb Turrets to fire at what Torb fires at.
  • Brig Shield Bash cooldown increased.
  • Brig Shield HP lowered.

That’s just a quick list of things I could easily think of that people specifically asked for on these forums. Like I said, I am sure I could come up with dozens and dozens more if I went through patch notes, or hell, just booted up and played a Launch version of the game.

5 Likes

bet 50 bucks Mercy gets 3 balance changes before Symmetra is even considered or announced for 1

1 Like

I don’t know if it has to do with tickrate, but generally, I just think reworked Sym beam is a let down. I’ve heard a couple of stories of how people with hand related handicaps are now unable to play their main because of how Sym’s beam functions.

Brings a tear to me eye - Junk

2 Likes

it’s like 20 ticks per second i believe. which means you divide her “damage per second” by 20.

so her 60 dps (level 1 charge) does 3 damage per tick (DPR)
her 120 dps (level 2 charge) does 6 dpr
and her 180 dps (level 3 charge) does 9 dpr

and armour works like this: “Hits that deal less than 10 HP damage will be halved their damage instead”.

so every DPR symmetra does against armour-health basically cuts in half her damage. and with the extremely high tickrate it makes it hard to charge your beam because you need to be hitting something consistently

6 Likes

^

also symm might seem stronger in lower ranks because spatial awareness is lacking so her turrets can actually do something. in higher ranks people are very aware of symmetra’s turrets and with so many hard counters she can barely get any use out of them (as they’re also on a high cooldown)

it used to be 4. in symm 2.0 AND symm 3.0 (on the PTR). but there was an exploit that let players charge her beam above the 3 charge limit and do like 1000 dps.

so instead of actually fixing the exploit the developers just extended the tickrate to 20 with out taking in consideration the consequences of that decision.

5 Likes

But, some characters being weak against armor is by design? Are you saying that no characters should be weak against armor, or just that specifically YOUR character shouldn’t be weak against armor?

1 Like

symmetra wasn’t intended to be weak against armour - it was the cheap way of handling her damage exploit when 3.0 was first released on the ptr.

with the fact symm lacks survivability while ALSO does inconsistent low damage, it makes her easier to kill than most supports (when she’s supposed to be a “damage dealer”)

5 Likes

Oh expect her fourth rework to come in 2020. Her first buff was actually the increase range on beam. 1.0 only got a nerf, 2.0 got nothing and 3.0 got one buff thinking it would solve the problem. Symmetra in their office isn’t a big factor unlike Mercy. The other thing they’re not dedicated on fixing heroes as we thought they were and we got that glimpse a long time ago around 2017 the year of Mercy.