Symmetra has been nerfed more times than she has been buffed

symm would’ve probably been unviable even with buffs
she was flawed in a fundamental level, being a hero with a primary fire that’s both insanely awful in high ranks and a pubstomper in lower ranks, supportive ability solely in the form of ultimates, no mobility, low survivability, and long downtime

There’s been a few undocumented changes to 3.0.

Her turret bomb is more reliable and almost always teleports your turrets. They still follow the rule of where the exit tp is placed determines if the entrance spawns below or in front of you, but is still more reliable.

Her beam no longer has issues being fired around a corner or over a ledge and isn’t inhibited by the invisible walls. Her turrets don’t seem as fat anymore. Maybe I got used to throwing them, but they feel way less clunky in general. Sometimes they still stick on a wall behind you if you’re too close to it, but that’s okay.

Honestly, I’d rather all of her bugs and issues be worked out completely before she’s touched with anymore actual buffs.

Why you ask? Doomfist. Buffed his shield rate before his bug fixes and voila, he’s a nightmare to deal with.

5 Likes

Perhaps but the post below you is correct. Even if she were made better as 2.0, her design was still flawed.

I liked baiting people into an area for my constructs and splitting the enemy ranks, but overall this was a chore both for Sym and for the enemy team. Not to mention how one Tracer or Sombra could nullify your ult almost as soon as you place it.

Even a turret cd wouldn’t have helped tremendously. If it were say, 8 seconds, that would still be 48 seconds for the full set as opposed to the 30 it is now.

I could go on, and like I said I don’t disagree that 2.0 could’ve been tweaked in these regards, but a rework focused on her design in general was probably the healthier option.

5 Likes

We lost a hero and got a new one ;.; rip 2.0

The pros don’t play her. The Pros that did have left.

Firstly stop ignoring her tick rate.

Her old orbs did 125 damage. They were slower but they did pierce.

1 Like

It actually goes twice as fast as before (20 meters now).

1 Like

Every “Buff” Symmetra received came with a nerf.

Think about that… How can something be a buff, and a nerf at the same time you may ask? Allow me to explain.

Symmetra 2.0 Beam: 120dps Max, 2 Seconds to charge to max
Symmetra 3.0 Beam: 180dps Max, 4 Seconds to charge to max, aim dependent

• New Beam requires 75% accuracy to achieve 120dps. No longer viable against smaller targets (Notably Tracer/Genji/Sombra whom she countered previously)

Symmetra 2.0: Photon Shield - Added survivability through damage mitigation/obstruction
Symmetra 3.0: No photon shield, reworked as ultimate, map spanning shield wall with setup delay.

• Photon shield was a reactive ability, Photon Barrier is a proactive ability, set up time of Photon Barrier usually results in Symmetra dying instead of protecting herself and team from other ultimates.

Symmetra 2.0: Piercing alternate fire
Symmetra 3.0: Faster alternate fire, no longer pierces, deals explosive damage those around it.

• New orbs splash damage is no larger than the graphic for the orb. Lack of piercing destroys pressure capability on turtle compositions. Can no longer effectively contribute to a Graviton Surge combo.

Teleporter 2.0: Could bring fallen allies to the battlefront considerably quicker, reducing travel time to objective.
Teleporter 3.0: Limited to 25m line of sight to Symmetra, only used for achieving high ground, or potentially an escape mechanic for Graviton Surge.

• Old teleporter was useful on first point defense, and first point offense with coordination. New teleporter is only used sparingly by teammates, and only then with teams with communication. New teleporter serves as more of an elevator than a true mobility tool.

2.0 Shield Generator: Provided protection for Symmetra, and her team by adding 75 additional regenerating hitpoints to those in range of the device.
3.0 - Received nothing for the removal of this ability.

• This was arguably the worst nerf for Symmetra and her team. She lost survivability, and her team is now susceptible to one shot kills from snipers. Also the loss of distraction of enemy flankers attempting to destroy it, making a favorable uneven team fight, 6v5 or 6v4 as they sought to destroy the device.

2.0 Turrets: You had 6 of them to deploy, with a total 180dps maximum output
3.0 Turrets: You have 3 of them to deploy, with a total of 150dps maximum output, additional 29hp, and can be deployed at range

• Turrets die almost as quickly pre-3.0 rework. They do less overall damage, cover 50% less area, and do 30dps less than t heir 2.0 counterparts. The only added advantage is being able to toss them, which makes them vulnerable during flight.

So, as you can see above, each change was a nerf in disguise. The only net “buff” received was the addition of the ability to throw turrets. Everything else is a nerf in disguise.

How they could take a character that needed buffs, rework them in such a way that they contribute less to a team, and call that a net gain is beyond me. I can’t fathom why they chose to do this, and while I can get behind the removal of the shield generator, simply to accommodate shorter skirmishes in OWL, we weren’t given anything to make up for it.

Fix Symmetra. Put her on even footing with other DPS roles. Give her a reliable get out of jail free card so she can at least have a chance to live when a flanker attacks her. Give her more survivability through personal shielding gained from dealing damage to shields, or give her a baseline buff on health/shields. Give her something in return for the 2 abilities you removed, Shield Gen and Photon Shield, whether it be damage, or utility.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be easier to give her better damage against armor?

If they fixed her tickrate her base beam would do more reliable damage against squishies. Especially Genji.

Sure, if it were truly better damage. Doing better damage against armor is just like ignoring it all together, so as long as that mechanic applies, I’d be happy to take it. Damage overall needs to be increased on the beam, however, because taking the current tracking required to utilize it might as well make it the 2.0 weapon without the added survivability of being able to jink while using it.

So what would be better for damage?

• A) Higher damage on tier 1
  • B) The ability to get charge tiers off of secondary/sentry damage
  • C) Somewhat higher tier 1, somewhat higher tier 2, but only 1 second to get to tier 2

Reduced charge time. Same decay time.

I’d still want more damage from the off but less charge time would allow her to do actual damage without being wound up.

D) None of the above, because settling for one of those options wouldn’t resolve the issue that exists.

The issue with her weapon is that its damage is mitigated to such a large degree by armor, it deems it unworthy of being used in a situation where armor is present. (IE: Brigitte)

There are only 2 things to really fix her weapon: Increased damage to armor (much like Torb’s new ult does) so that it equalizes, and reduce each stage to a 1 second charge time.

Aside from that, they’d need to recode it completely to fix it. The 20 ticks per second is its major downfall right now, and one of the reasons it’s so lackluster against armor.

The other issue is the increased ramp up time of the weapon over 2.0. It’s a nerf in disguise. What does the top end damage number matter if you can never reach it? Why tell you that it’s going to take an additional second longer for each stage, if the damage being done while on the stage is only made up for by reaching the end stage, which in turn is the same damage you did previous to the rework? There is no logic, no justification for the increased ramp up time, period.

For that matter, why even have a ramp up component to the weapon? Is Soldier too powerful, being able to deal 171 damage from 30m away using nothing but body shots? Now that his spread is non existent on the first 9 shots, he might as well be using a 30m “beam” like Symmetra, that does more consistent damage.

1 Like

Hav eu heard of reaper or tracer? Pretty much the same heroes since launch xd, but srsly tho I don’t agree with you guys, I believe she’s quite powerful honestly but Idk it’s just me I’m not stating a fact

1 Like

Tracer is possibly the most balanced hero in the game, reapers tp sucks and his shotgun calculations are just kinda stupid other than that they work as a core character concept be thankful they haven’t needed all these changes.

Yes she is powerful she can cause a team wipe with her turrets and tp the issue is her power is in the most unreliable parts of her kit instead of where it should be in her damn gun figure that.

I would make her gun lock on targets again but in compensation I would reduce its damage significantly, but tbh her alt fire compensates for her trash m1

So has Tracer… she was never buffed but she had her pulse bomb nerfed.

I get accused of trolling a lot of times when instalocking reaper, is that a sign that the hero needs some major changes?