Overwatch 2 Competitive Play - Season Four

WELCOME TO SEASON FOUR FOR COMPETITIVE PLAY IN OVERWATCH 2!

Season four of Competitive Play is here!

Competitive Play is designed for those players who want to put their skills to the test and offers a more serious experience than our Quick Play or Arcade Modes. Players new to Overwatch 2 will unlock access to Competitive Play when they complete the Competitive Play Qualification challenge by winning 50 unranked games.

GETTING STARTED

Before you can kick off your competitive career, every player will be required to win seven games to obtain their seasonal skill division in their choice of role in Role Queue or playing Open Queue. Within the standard Role Queue competitive mode, players will earn a separate skill division for each role in Competitive Play, for a total of three distinct skill divisions. There is a separate skill division for Open Queue as well. This skill division will be a tier—Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, or Grandmaster—followed by a number from 5 (lowest) to 1 (highest). You climb into higher skill divisions and tiers as you improve.

As you compete, your selected role or Open Queue skill division will increase or decrease after you complete 5 wins or 15 losses (whichever comes first) based on your win record, frequency of play, and the skill levels of your opponents.

A detailed breakdown of the skill tiers, along with icons and information about the corresponding skill divisions, can be found by pressing the “Information” button under the Competitive Play menu.

COMPETITIVE REWARDS

In addition to experiencing the thrill of victory, players can also unlock unique season titles through Competitive Play if they can reach the rank of Diamond or higher. When you earn a season title, you can equip and use it through the next season but not in any future season afterward. There are also additional titles once you win enough games in any Competitive mode and these titles are permanent.

On top of that, as you complete competitive matches, you’ll earn a currency called Competitive Points. You will earn 25 points for every win. When the season concludes, you’ll also receive a number of Competitive Points based on the highest Skill Tier you obtained during the season from the role and mode with the highest skill tier you reach to spend on golden versions of your favorite heroes’ weapons.

Here’s the Skill Tier to Competitive Reward breakdown:

Highest Skill Tier Rewards
Bronze 300 CP
Silver 450 CP
Gold 600 CP
Platinum 800 CP
Diamond 1000 CP + Diamond Challenger Title
Master 1200 CP + Master Challenger Title
Grandmaster 1500 CP + Grand Master Challenger Title

TOP 500 LEADERBOARDS

The best of the best players compete across five separate Top 500 Leaderboards. Within Role Queue, one for each role, along with an additional combined average leaderboard. The combined Role Queue Top 500 Leaderboard will be based on the player’s average skill rating across all three roles. To be eligible for a role-specific leaderboard, players must win at least 25 games in that role. To qualify for the combined Top 500 Leaderboard, players must be eligible for all three role-specific leaderboards. Open Queue will have its own Leaderboard that will require at least 25 wins for qualification. At the end of the season, players who earn a spot within the Top 500 players for any of these leaderboards on their platform and region will receive an exclusive title instead of their rank.

WHAT’S NEW FOR SEASON FOUR

Based on community feedback and our goal to continue to deliver a fair and fun competitive experience, players can expect these changes to Competitive Play starting in Season Four.

• Competitive Play ranks are no longer reduced at the beginning of every season, and all previous effects of this system have been removed. Everyone’s skill tier and division have been adjusted to match the current estimate of your skill.
  • At the start of each match, the average skill tier and division of the entire lobby are displayed, this shows where you stand among your opponents and teammates in terms of skill.
  • You will now be able to track your current win and loss rate between competitive updates on the Competitive Progress screen.
  • Competitive Points per win have increased from 15 to 25 and the total number of Competitive Points earned at the end of a season has been updated for all ranks.
  • Competitive Titles in Season Four are now split up between the different Competitive Modes. (i.e. Top 500 Role Challenger)

Further matchmaking improvements to more closely match players in similar roles to each other in Competitive Play.

Season Four is live RIGHT NOW on Windows PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, and Xbox One|X|S, so power up your favorite gaming machine and join the fight. We’ll see you in-game!

4 Likes

What the hell did you do Blizzard? You said you were not going to do this weird artifical rank decay but somehow you just went and did it anyway? I went from Diamond 4 to Plat 4 to “better reflect my skill”. Fine. I queue for Plat 4 and almost all of the other players were ~Diamond 3. Some said they got adjusted from Masters 2/GM5 to ~Diamond 3.

Why am I playing against these people? This is even worse than the rank decay you promised you wouldn’t do. And I can not check my own progress when I want to. It is only visible when I win 5 or lose 15. Get your head out of your asses Blizzard, people want to see what rank/division they are CURRENTLY.

I don’t understand how you mess it all up so bad. It takes another season to straighten everything out again. I’m a big advocate for MMR-based systems and stuff but you just make a mess out of it.

Edit: You are doing everything to not get the actual SR number back in the game and initially I welcomed this change. But I think it’s time to start to realise and acknowledge the actual SR number was way better than this half baked division 5W/15L system. Stop with these bandaid solutions and kill your darling(s). Give us the numbers.

Edit2: LOL! You ranked higher than 63% of players in this division (diamond5) = Blizzard basically telling me my SR is 3064? xD. We are slowly getting back to just the number xD…

Oh, yeah, it took me about 20 games to get back to ~Diamond 4 SR again. So the outcome for me was exactly the same as the seasonal rank decay: grind back to that SR you’re always at.

21 Likes

decay was so bad i went from open q gold 4 to gold 1. I didn’t even play open q season 3

Well well well… plat1 to gold 5 after exhaustively playing on season 3 while my wife went from silver 3 to gold 2 without playing season 3 nor 2… lol great job guys

1 Like

I am so mad right now. I did not receive my competitive rewards from season 3.

3 Likes

Gold 1 is higher than Gold 4 though, you actually went up in rank

1 Like

Bring back Competitive Mystery Heroes permanently.

6 Likes

fix your matchmaking

3 Likes

Hey blizzard, sorry if I sound rude when I say this but what the heck. 1, I got rank decay and now 2, im stuck in bronze 5.

I went 5-2, stayed bronze 5 with the message “you are the the minimum for this rank” or whatever. I then go 5-1 and get the same bronze 5 and same message.

Please fix your game and give me my rightful rank of bronze 1/silver 5. please and thank you.

10 Likes

Sure am glad you dropped me all the way down to Bronze 2…(over 4 ranks) went 5-1, still in bronze 2. Welcome to leaver central, where I’ll apparently never get out of at this rate.

1 Like

people who were t500 open queue last season wasn’t awarded with t500 open queue challenger but instead with the t500 role queue challenger title?? please fix??

1 Like

I just banned the season 3 then today season is come i updated the game and when come to the lobby and getting my comp coins i saw that i have 19h suspended with no reason :slight_smile:
Overwatch 1 is better by the way.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the funny part. It’s not “decay” if it goes up. Was this my actually hidden MMR? God knows. All we want is transparency regarding our rank. The OW1 ssr system was so much better in that aspect.

1 Like

So it’s not only me cuz I went 5-2, didn’t rank up and then 5-1 and still didn’t rank up. (It DERANKED me to bronze 5 btw)

3 Likes

Matchmaking is so broken. In a normal comp game said it was for gold (im Gold 3). Getting demolished by one player who was ranked as MASTER. This happened for 4 games, all losses for no reason, just because the match making process is so bad.

1 Like

I get the same. But I wasn’t banned last season. What is this? Every time we think this game can’t get any worse they still manage it somehow.

1 Like

“At the start of each match, the average skill tier and division of the entire lobby are displayed, this shows where you stand among your opponents and teammates in terms of skill.”

Why this is not showing? I always go straight to hero selection?

I am not seeing this either =O…

Also the more I play I’m getting fairly sure this mmr adjustment thing is not working or is backfiring. All my roles are down a few divisions/ranks (on all accounts) but the people I’m playing against haven’t changed or are just way too good. Had to play ~20 games to get DPS back where it was. Now have to do the same for the other roles I guess. Exact same effect as decay in previous seasons. Shame.

‏I finish the rank season in (grandmaster 3) and I get the points for (master 3) and also player titles . I get (master role challenger), and I should get (grandmaster role challenger.) Why?

1 Like