Didnt rank up after i did pretty well

Hello I played 8 competitive games as a tank 5 wins and 3 losses and I did pretty well on these games and when my rank updated today it didn’t change it was silver 5 and i was silver 5 why didn’t I rank up I didn’t have any leave penalties or anything can you please help me

Don’t be discouraged, it happens. Your rank is determined by wins and losses, personal performance isn’t taken into account. Depending on your MMR vs the enemy’s, you’ll get less rating for a win if you’re favored to win and gain more rating if the enemy team was favored to win.

At the bottom of the rank adjustment screen it’ll tell you how far into your rank you are. I don’t think there’s a way to see it in any other place at the moment. All that being said, you may have gone up in rank, just not enough to climb into the next division. Queue again and remember to look at the bottom of the rank adjustment screen when you get your 5th win. Good luck fam.

2 Likes

You rank up slower than you rank down, so unless you’re consistently winning 5/0, you’re gonna be going through a slog. Because lord knows smurfing needs to be easy.

1 Like

the key here is pay attention to the percentage thru the rank when you re-rank. The SR system is alive and well…they just hide it with tiers.

Example:
You re-rank and it says gold 3, but way at the bottom it says 15% better than other players. That means even a 5-0 run may not be enough to get the rest of the 85% of the way thru the rank. 5 wins and 3 losses is just a hair above breaking even, so unless you were already 90% better then those in the rank…it would appear you stayed the same. the percentage of players you are better in that rank did go up…but its super easy to miss

1 Like

Yo.

As a “Silver 5” your hidden SR is actually between 1500-1599. Maybe you’re 1520… maybe you’re 1550? Point is it’s in there some where.

In a “balanced” game of overwatch, where all the players in the lobby are equally matched (as in +/- less than 100 SR) then you should gain or lose somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 SR per match.

So, if you played 8 games, won 5, and lost 3 you can reasonably assume you gained 100 SR for your wins (5x20), and you can assume you lost 60 for your losses (3x20). In total you are positive 40 SR.

So now going back to your silver 5 SR. Let’s assume you were 1550 SR right in the middle of silver 5. Add that 40 SR from your 5 wins out of 8 games. That’s 1590 SR, which is still in the Silver 5, 1500-1599 range, thus no rank up yet!

You might ask well how come some times I rank up multiple tiers, or rank down multiple tiers in only 5 games? Well I can’t give you exact numbers but that works like this.,… Let’s keep using you as silver 5 (1500) as an example.

Let’s say you match into a game and you look at the lobby skill level and it says “gold 5”… But you’re silver 5 right? well if your team is mostly silver 5’s as well and gold 5 is the average of both teams… that means the enemy team is probably all plat 5s.

Team A SR silver 5 (1500), ---- Team B SR 2500 Plat 5 ---- Match AVG SR Gold 5, 2000

This is is probably that maximum swing overwatch should ever throw at you although sure there are lots of horror stories of matchups like bronze against GM’s… but typically the above example is worst case scenario.

Anyways - Assuming you LOSE that game which you probably will, you’d actually lose LESS than 20 SR, maybe only like 8-10. But if you WON that game you’d probably get MUCH more SR, perhaps more than 40.

This is why some times rank ups seem to totally skip tiers. Imagine being let’s say a plate player (2500) but you lost a couple games against silver players (1500) in what you thought were just average gold games… Even if you won 5 but lost only 4 games but those 4 games were against the silver players you’d probably end up ranking DOWN instead of up, maybe even ranking down 2 skill tiers or more.

1 Like

I keep hearing that put is there is a dev post that can be sourced to?

1 Like

Natty IDK if you read my novel of a response but I’m just giving my best educated guess. Since blizz has confirmed stats do not effect rank points and have confirmed that ONLY win / loss effects those points then the only place we can look is at SR points vrs SR points.

The pinned comment at the top of comp forums, the one that says “season 4” etc… well last season for season 3 is when they confirmed it was based on win / loss only if I recall, but that isn’t even the first time they confirmed that.

I don’t wanna spend a bunch of time trying to google it… I did try to google it and can’t find it atm for reference but you’re welcome to look around.

EDIT: damn man I actually spent like the last 20 minutes trying to find it. I even did find the pinned season 3 comment and it wasn’t in there. Maybe it was season 2, or a seperate pinned comment (yes from a Dev) on season 3 but i SWEAR the wording was explicit. It said seriously NO STATS as far as individual performance in a match is a factor in determining SR. The fact that we all know for a fact from OW1 that SR could for sure be more or less than 20, AND that we could clearly see the SR disparity between each team and could estimate the bigger or smaller swings in SR awarded based off that leads me to the educated guess I made above. Hope you can trust me, a random guy on the forums :slight_smile:

“As you compete, your selected role or Open Queue skill division will increase or decrease after you complete 5 wins or 15 losses (whichever comes first) based on your win record, frequency of play, and the skill levels of your opponents.

I’m at work so I only had time to skim. Idk I might be reading too much into it, but I take that to mean that the difference in MMR between you and the enemy team is taken into account in addition to win rate. I thought they said something similar somewhere else but I’m not 100% sure.

1 Like

This is my first season placing for tank role since overwatch 1 and I was plat 3 going into diamond 5 and diamond 3 average games. I won 5 and I lost 1. Also, I’m getting no less than 35 kills a game as tank and I only moved up to plat 2. If I’m going into diamond average games and doing so well how come I’m only moving up slowly.

because this game makes no sense and matchmaking is completely borked

2 Likes

bro i’m sorry if i’m gold 4 and i’m playing in plat 5 games (literally says it when the match starts) and when i win i demote? i’m sorry but this system is beyond faulty i don’t see the point in playing competitive anymore

This is why so many people are boosted to where they don’t belong and now think they’ve suddenly became a GM player overnight… ridiculous and then there’s those which deserve to climb but are stuck at lower ranks because of garbage like this. If you win you should go up, if you lose you go down. Very simple Blizzard. You poor Devs have monkeys for bosses.