Hero Concept Showcase #2: Talon Tank

Hello! I’ve actually never really posted on these forums much, since there was not really a dedicated hero suggestion subforum, and I didn’t see much interest in the prospect, but I come from the Heroes of the Storm forum where I am quite active. I have a concept for the contest, but it’s not entirely done yet. I just wanted to reserve my spot here; I’ll post my concept in the coming days. I have before the 7th, right?

1 Like

Yes you are correct. Can’t wait to see it! Although it is not truly a contest.

1 Like

Okay here is my contribution to the Showcase. El Cerbero
http s://docs.google.com/document/d/1tdyBo0ZjkYPAzFBO7pTqhiB8mFEFyc-tgtC7R0m6udg/edit?usp=sharing
Hopefully one day I will be able to post the actual link here.
Also you know I never asked but is it permissible to keep adding elements to it after submission up till the day?

1 Like

Here is my D.mon concept.Not sure if its eligible though.

2 Likes

Yeah you can keep adding some elements and changes. So long as it isn’t a drastic rework of everything.

So this is your Talon Tank with the Latin name?

Yes indeed it is. Hope you like it

More submissions, I see. I’ve talked with Sombra recently, she says she’s impressed by what people can come up these days. Meanwhile, Torbjörn is starting to develop a Tank on his own, using ideas from your Concepts. So far, it looks…formidable, like a Tank should be.

Keep it up, Hero Crafters! You’ve got 5 days left to submit!

Cheers,
~ PyroPanda

3 Likes

Here is my submission. Behold the threat from the sea. Or at least the overall summary.

h
ttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1-yhYuQ3b55RiYhRS_wdNc27MzjmMkXmTUL73koofRH8/edit?usp=sharing

1 Like

Alright, here is what my concept is so far! I would like to add some more before I’m done, like cosmetics and synergies, but I am not sure if I will have the time. Regardless, I hope you enjoy!

h ttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1tlIYy2mkUBkvePq3CpuF72-efPu8Yh2kfOh0ZhaVLlU/edit?usp=sharing

1 Like

I really like your design especially the goal of creating a new type of anchor tank. The inclusion of imagery at the end is very helpful and worthy of imitation. I do have one question though. How does the solar beam go through rooms with ceilings? I guess I could imagine the solar energy burning through it. Just wondered what your take is.

After reading all of your well written critiques, I had no doubt I would be reading an in depth and detailed story. Really enjoyed reading it, so well done!

Curious about why a 7’ 5" 663lb mech would want to hang upside down though.

Fusion Cutter works exactly like an ability I’ve had in mind, for a future as in development character that specializes in sabotage. I really like that.

Both abilities with that are electrical based i also quite enjoyed especially the defensive mechanic. Sorry can’t remember the names.

I kind of wondered why the Sonar, but I see that it is a great aid in lining up your ultimate. Regarding the ultimate I wonder about the strength of it, it could be really powerful, especially with no foreseeable counter play to it. I might be short-sighted myself about that though.

1 Like

No, no, that’s an excellent point about the ultimate. I’ve mentioned before, mechanics aren’t my strong point, so I appreciate any advice in that regard. Thank you for your remarks. Perhaps you only get one shot to line up the thing and go jetting across the battlefield. With a sufficiently narrow damage field, that might be a bit less overpowered.

DF is talon tank but they decided to make him DPS because of the hype.

For if anyone wants a Maximillien Tank iteration…
(I’ve tried to avoid numbers where I am unsure, I am not a game designer xD).

**Maximillien (Anchor Tank/Bruiser)**

HP: 300-400 (150-200 Health, 150-200 Shields)

With possibly the smallest hit-box of any tank, he shouldn’t have a huge health pool, but with how he will largely be implementing his abilities, he will need to be able to take some aggression.

Primary Fire: Railgun (3-5 shots per clip?)

Semi-automatic, each shot must be charged (a la Widowmaker/Hanzo).
Instantaneous line projectile, travels through enemies hit, but not shields.
EDIT: Damage per shot between 60-100? Reduced damage to subsequently damaged enemies as coin passes through them?

Maximillien’s love for money & power actualises itself in his choice of weaponry; a magnetic coil contained within his arm that allows him to propel gold coins from his fingertips at several times the speed of sound.
“Money is power. Don’t believe me?”

Alternate Fire: Magnetic Grasp

Hold alternate fire to create a magnetic field from Maximillien’s hand that catches incoming projectiles, condensing them into a projectile for Max to shoot back at them with primary fire.
(Think the Return to Sender Vigor from Bioshock Infinite.)

Must be at least big enough to fully protect Maximillien, could be made bigger so as to enable anchor-tanking. Does not project forward like Defence Matrix.
Resource-based a la Defence Matrix/Moira’s Healing.
Will only block certain projectiles/bullets etc.
Say around 3-4 seconds of available charge to catch projectiles, firing them back at enemies doesn’t consume any of the meter. Maybe have the option to fire the projectile linger a second after the magnetic shield has run out. Or make it have a cooldown & a set duration.

Everything falls under Maximillien’s influence, even those who would dare to harm him are destined to only hurt themselves.
“The house always wins.”

Ability 1 (E): Magnetic Jail

Soft-locks onto enemies at a range (a la Zen’s Discord Orb) in order to be triggered. 8-12 second CD?
Encases an enemy in a magnetic sphere for a short duration (max 3 secs), preventing them from influencing the fight or anyone from interacting with them. The “jailed” target can not be damaged or healed, & can not damage or heal, but they can move; while the orb that contains them itself acts as a barrier to both teams.
OR the “jailed” target is rooted in place but can perform all other actions as normal?

Whether in political strategy, gambling, or combat; Maximillien finds the most pleasure in denying his opponents their agency. To him it is far more enjoyable to watch someone struggle & drown than to simply push them under.
“It matters not that you have the winning hand, if I can prevent you from playing it.”

OR

Ability 1 (E): Magna-Zone

Places a spherical magnetic field that lasts for a sizeable duration (6-8 secs?), slowing enemies in the area (& giving allies a speed boost?).
Re-trigger effect to knock all enemies in area up & away from each other based on their relative position to the centre of the circular effect.
This will also reset the cooldown on the ability early (6-8 secs) OR the cooldown period begins as soon as the ability is placed (12-16 secs?).
(Think Lux’s Lucent Singularity from LOL.)

Maximillien’s web of influence stretches far & wide; those who oppose him find their progress impeded at every turn, almost as if some invisible force were acting against them.
“All in the pot. Time to show my hand.”

Ability 2 (Shift): Husk Clones

From Max’s chest bursts a small container that expands outward to unveil 5 mindless Omnics with the same appearance as Maximillien (Husks), that link arms to form a defensive wall similar to Mei’s (not as tall but around the same width) in a horizontal line only.
The initial opening of the container & release of Omnics deals a small amount of damage & knockback to nearby enemies.
Each Omnic body has its own (300-500HP?) health pool (like Mei’s pillars) & act as physical cover, not as a barrier shield. These Husks should likely only last for a certain amount of time before decaying. There could be gaps between Husks to allow allies to shoot through.

Pressing Shift again while the Husks are active will detonate them for AoE damage & knockback. (Possible)
Husks are drawn towards Magna-Zone or anyone affected with Magnetic Jail, dependant on which ability seems best suited. (If above used)

This ability could function in a different way so that the Husk line always stays in front of Maximillien at a set distance once summoned rather than leaving them in a set position, allowing him to reposition it, but limited to his own positioning & LOS.
The line could stay static on some kind of vector so that they always stay facing the same direction, but the line moves in relation to Max’s general position, rather than the direction he is looking.

EDIT: Crazy addition: Allies can walk behind a Husk & press Interact to gain their own personal bodyguard that travels in front of them at a short distance to act as cover. Maximillien can still detonate these bodyguard Husks.

Maximillien is only too aware of the limitations of his kind; it could even be said that he resents them. But that will not prevent him from exploiting those weaknesses for his own gain. Why get his own hands dirty when he has the ability to choose not to?
“And they say money is the root of all evil. No, consciousness ups the ante on that one.”

Passive: Patryoshka

For every Husk that is destroyed by an enemy (not personally detonated), Max regenerates a small amount of personal shield health.
(Likely not necessary but could be useful.)

“Gotta spend lives to make a living.”

Ultimate: Polarisation

Transformation Ultimate: 6 secs?
Creates a spherical magnetic field around Max that slows & damages enemies in the area (max 50HP/s), ending with a repulsive blast (single instance 50 damage) at the end of the transformation, knocking enemies away. (Max damage 350 HP).
Max could get a speed boost during this time, but unsure. EDIT: Duh, of course he does & he floats too. :smiley: I’m leaning in to the similarities to Transcendence.
However, unlike with Transcendence, Max can use his other abilities as normal.

Magnetic Jail (if chosen) gets drawn towards the field instantly.
Magna-Zone (if chosen) can be reactivated at this time to draw all enemies caught within it towards Maximillien instead of knocking them apart.
Husks caught within the field will circle Max at a distance, knocking enemies around, but detonate when the ultimate ends.
EDIT: Alternatively, Husks automatically detonate upon contact with enemies; possibly triggering Max’s passive (I say possibly due to this being a circumstance where they wouldn’t usually do this, but it could add further strength to the ultimate).

Maximillien keeps his friends close, but draws his enemies in closer & closer until they find their own plans blowing back up in their faces.
“Expedience brings polarity.”
“Reflect on your mistakes & accept the hand you are dealt.”

With a combination of ranged damage & multiple kinds of tanking abilities (damage mitigation, area denial, knockback, sustain) I feel his lack of mobility & potentially smaller health pool work as a nice trade-off, along with his smaller hit-box.

Thoughts? I am unsure which ‘E’ would be best to use with the character.

3 Likes

ok I will make something
I can’t draw well so it wont be very good

You don’t need to draw. You just need a concept for now. Leave art as one of the more final touches.

no dont worry the art is gonna be the best thing
im making it in photoshop with things i found on the internet

1 Like

Damn, there goes my magnet style character. Lol

1 Like

Aw xD don’t sweat, there’s still tons of ideas to play with using magnetism, like setting up two fields that attract or repulse each other for example.
Chuck yours in yo, maybe yours works better than mine :smiley:

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/r9AHfdU.png

Garfielf: my talon tank
Primary: consume food
does 50 damage instantly. Auto lock. 50% chance of missing due to food being dropped.
E ability: fat
Makes everyone else go at 1 speed due to everyone else getting his fat
Shift ability: lazy
puts everyone to sleep
Ultimate: lasganyeet
600 damage to all heroes on the enemy team. Auto lock. 10% chance of missing due to lasagna being consumed.

1 Like