A message to the community about the forums

Hi, I am making this thread by the recent events that have been occurring in the forums, and by “recent” I mean by months.
The forums right now don’t feel like they had been in the past… More toxicity and destructive arguments have been appearing. I remember when the forums where a place where debates were constructive and really productive for the devs.
But as time has passed, the forums had been defined by division, before, the forums were a place where you could make really good debates and actually be a community, but now it feels more like a battlefield of which small group will receive the attention of devs, people insulting each other because one of them thinks that his character requires more skill, denigrating others, and so, dividing the community.
In Mercy threads there have been people that just say that the Mercy community is a “cult” that just want hide and rez back, and have even said that some of the people from this “cult” are part of the infamous political german group. Aria’s video explains it very well:

Even the Bastion megathread has been victim of this, a Sombra main ( I am not generalizing, a lot of Sombras are really great people <3) just came to the thread and say that Bastion doesn’t need buff and started incriminating that Bastion mains were the cause of why Sombra was not getting fixed…
That’s how bad the forums have become, and I am not saying that there are not nice people that have constructive debates. Recently, the Mercy Megathread was open for several hours ( which was quite rare, normally the thread would be locked in a minute or so) and I must say that the people I met there were wonderful, Mercy and non-Mercy mains just started debating like civilized people about Mercy’s problem, jokes were made, and it actually felt like we were a community and not enemies…
I just made this thread to know how you feel right now about the forums, do you feel that they are fine? Do you feel that the long time of waiting for a response might be a cause of this? Just let me know.

With all my Heart <3,

Diego.

22 Likes

Wholesome post. It would be nice if people could discuss things and not be so divided.

15 Likes

Pretty sure you know my opinion by now.
Its Blizzards game and all this frustration with it should be directed at them instead of each other.

10 Likes

Aye the forums have been degrading over the past several months. People have been more dividing than ever. I think people would like responses, but the devs are too scared because they know that several people will disagree with them and start to hate them. It is a big problem here.

We need to come together as a community and be more civil. We can all try to be kinder and to be more understanding, despite it being so rare.

1 Like

Yeah,normally people just try to do everything they can, even attacking people, just to think that they are right.

1 Like

Yea, if I’m being honest I’ve spent way more time than I’d have liked to calling people out for basically resorting to name calling when all it does is dismiss their arguments. Maybe my adult side is showing a little too much these days lol.

Debates are good, slurs just make people look very immature. Who knows maybe the name calling type is their target audience.

5 Likes

this seems like a great post that is needed currently. generalizing people into groups and general toxcity have become rampant in the past few months. although i dont post a whole lot i do like to read a lot of the forums and what people have to say. but recently it has become a little too much for me. but i think this post is very much needed to thank you again so much Diego for posting this and trying to remind people of how to act while on the forums.

5 Likes

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle”
~Plato

7 Likes

The problem I see is that on some level or another everybody want’s to be the one in the right. But the only way we can get to a place were everyone is satisfied is by coming together and have a real discussion on the things that concern all of us fans and consumers of this product. But no one want’s to come and talk, make compromises or even agree to disagree. No we “have” to be right because if we aren’t then we take a huge hit to our ego.

2 Likes

“But taking a hit in your ego isn’t bad, it just lets you reach self improvement.”

1 Like

My thoughts exactly Diego! :grinning: What all of us got to understand is that we are all in the same boat. We all float or we sink together.

2 Likes

A recent thread I was in regarding private profiles devolved into one replier constantly derailing as every response jumped straight into political ranting about how Corporations have too much power and how the constitution protects freedom of speech. All I brought to the table was that Blizzard has been too light on the enforcement of rules, that private profiles aren’t the problem but rather the players who decide toxicity is the appropriate response to them. No matter how many times I tried to reel it back in, just stating that Blizzard should be more active in handing out punishment for bad behavior, every response would throw me into a Corporation loving anti free speech camp and be completely off course.

My only saving grace was the glorious ironic ending as some of his posts were immediately deleted by moderators when the thread was locked, later to be deleted from public access entirely.

2 Likes

It’s because more players are getting fed the %$#@ up.

I think the state of the game is much better than what you see on the forums. I think the state of the forums is largely due to a handful of people who no longer play the game continuing to hang around and do everything they can to poison the well. Some of them are even big forum celebrities around here, with adoring fans hanging on their every word.

I’ve found that the state and tone of the forums is not reflective of the state of and tone of the game.

3 Likes

I think it would be great for everyone to get sub threads for heroes and whatever. So anyone who wants to talk or read about a particular hero can do that in a section and the general forums stays…general.

1 Like

I actually have an idea that I have been developing…

Other areas have been suggested (like one dedicated to OWL), Blizzard seems to be happy to sit on their hands and leave the forums a mess.

aria my goddess, you shall always have my support. may our cult outlast all.

2 Likes

Good thread, it explains the problem well. The thing that bugs me with some of the threads that turn toxic is that they tend to be de-railed by those who hate the hero rather than having a constructive discussion. Of course more official engagement with feedback discussions or such would go a long way to helping reduce the problems that exist on this forum at the moment.

1 Like

Yup, recently in the “Thank you Aria” it became an issue when the two persons that made a n@zi pun with Aria’s name and… you know what happened with that context.