A challenge for Mercy mains

My challenge,

Come up with a wide portfolio of ideas that devs could be intrigued and persuaded for Mercy changes.

The last few changes to Mercy were a bandaid nerf, followed by a bandaid buff. They were simple ways to adjust Mercy’s balance. But didn’t address increasing the interactivity and aesthetic satisfaction of playing the character.

Devs likely did this because they wanted to spend less time on Mercy so they could focus on other heroes. The devs are probably going to focus on bringing all F-tier heroes back into “viable tier” (mostly just fix Bastion and maybe tweak Symm a bit more, QoL, etc), whatever new reveal at blizcon probably a gamemode, and the new character.

After that’s done, I think they are going to circle back and look at Mercy. I would suggest having a whole portfolio of concepts for them to look at by the time that happens.

Are you going to be ready by then?

Why am I making this post?

I was publicly highly in favor of simple changes to Mercy, so we can focus on other heroes.

As a former Roadhog main,
I am about to get to play the new version of Roadhog, and all I can think of is “I am finally getting my character back, after all this time”. Did hog players get their shotgun damage back? No. Did we ask for a revert? You bet. But the combination of changes devs are putting in, means I don’t even miss that it’s not there.

I wish that Mercy mains could feel the same way. If you can find a way around what the devs don’t like, you will get there someday.

P.S. Let’s keep it positive folks.

38 Likes

I’ve been saying this for a long time, they should make a thread with suggestions like those which do not involve mass rez coming back or touching rez as is in any way shape or form except removing it. Devs would ACTUALLY probably respond and listen. Someone in OP could keep count and link to posts in said thread about those specific ideas for easier reading.

1 Like

Resurrection - Mercy resurrects all allied targets who are currently dead in a specific radius.

Resurrection (2) - Mercy resurrects a single allied target in a specific radius. Much lower charge than the above.

Resurrection (3) - Mercy gains a X health shield and +X% movement speed increase. She can move to an allied soul and resurrect them instantly (melee range). Allies can only be Resurrected once, after which their souls will disappear. Lasts X seconds

Resurrection (4) - Mercy’s staff shines a bright light, after which she goes invisible. After X seconds she can cast Resurrect, causing herself to become stationary but still invisible. After taking X damage, she is revealed. As soon as her allies have control of their characters again, a light similar to being Resurrected occurs around her but blinds nearby enemies.

Resurrection (4) (2) - Mercy’s staff shines a bright light, after which she goes invisible. She can then target allies up to 5 meters and through walls, chaining them together for the final button press. After X seconds she can cast Resurrect, causing herself to become stationary but still invisible. As soon as her allies have control of their characters again, a light similar to being Resurrected occurs around her but blinds nearby enemies. After taking X damage, she is revealed, but the effect can still occur if she survives. If Mercy dies prior to the final activation, nothing will happen.

Preemptive care - Mercy places a buff on all allied heroes who are currently alive. If they die within X seconds, they are instantly revived.

Valkyrie (2) - Mercy dashes to a team-mate through walls, placing a preemptive resurrection charge on them. If they die within X seconds, they are resurrected instantly.

Valkyrie (3) - Mercy gains 5 charges of Resurrection. Her Valkyrie suit activates but it does not chain to any nearby allies and her pistol ammunition stays the same. Her regeneration can be interrupted by damage, but only after a damage threshold of 10. She can instantly resurrect a targeted ally at melee range. Mercy gains free flight over X seconds, but GA speed is not increased. Resurrection can only be used on a single allied target once, after which if they die again their soul disappears.

Stored power - Mercy can grant herself the ability to Resurrect a single target. Stores one charge up to a maximum of five. Upon pressing E; the allied target closest to her is revived. Cooldown of 5 seconds between each use. Alternatively, Mercy can begin channeling, and for every X seconds channeled she can resurrect an additional target.

The following are ideas that remove Resurrection completely from the ultimate slot.

Some also include added functionality to the “soul mechanic”, which is unique to Mercy

Invincibility - After X seconds, Mercy and her allies gain invulnerability for X seconds.

Invincibility (2) - Mercy’s staff slams into the ground. Mercy and her allies become CC immune for X seconds and gain a damage reduction buff of X% for the same length of time.

Pacified - Mercy targets an enemy hero. Outgoing damage is reduced by -X%. Any allies who have had their health reduced by 50% in the last 5 seconds (prior to using the ultimate or during the activation period) have it instantly restored.

Emergency care - Allies who have had their health reduced by X% in the last X seconds have it restored by +100% of their maximum HP. Any overheal permanently stays on the target up to a maximum of +200 HP until Mercy dies. This can occur multiple times over X seconds or until Mercy dies. Mercy is affected by this, though she can not overheal herself.

Valkyrie - Mercy gains the ability to fly for X seconds. Her beam turns purple in colour, granting primary beam targets +90 HP/S and +30% damage amplification. Nearby allies are granted +45 HP/S and +15% damage amplification. Her guardian angel speed is increased by 2x.

Valkyrie (4) - Mercy gains the ability to fly for X seconds. Her primary beam heals its target for 50 HP and splits off to nearby allies. Her secondary beam boosts the primary target’s damage by 30%, and splits off to nearby allies. Her regeneration is unstoppable. Guardian Angel’s maximum distance is increased by 2x and its speed is also increased by 2x.

• New passive - Angelic slipstream - After using Guardian Angel while using Valkyrie, Angelic Dust emanates from her wings passing to the ground and laying there. Allies that walk past it begin to heal themselves.

Ethereal - Mercy’s staff slams into the ground, granting 10 powerful waves of healing which each knock enemies back.

Life Insurance - Mercy places a buff on all allied heroes. If they die within X seconds, their soul becomes supercharged and attacks nearby enemy heroes, dealing 0 damage but applying a slow of -X% and decreasing their respawn timer by 1 second per attack. Allied heroes can teleport to these globes after death, teleporting them to their position so long as Mercy is still alive.

False Icon - A ghostly statue of Mercy is summoned in front of the player, which after 2 seconds creates sacred ground in an oval shape behind it. Allies cannot drop below 1 HP while in this zone, and Mercy is invulnerable to damage from all sources while standing in it. Projectiles that impact the front section of the statue are neutralized. 8 second duration.

Guided - Mercy automatically targets an enemy hero, in order of; Most damage dealt - Most damage blocked - Most healing done (priority). All allied attacks against that hero are boosted by +X% for X seconds. If they die, the ultimate charge cost is refunded by 33%.

On borrowed time - Target an ally. For X seconds, any damage dealt to them instead heals them.

On borrowed time (2) - Create a Xm zone around you. Any damage dealt to allies instead heals them for 100% of the amount it would deal.

Angelic Throne - Target an area, after which an Angel begins projecting a beam onto it. All instances of damage which take place in the zone are negated, and all enemies cannot be healed while standing in it. Damage can move out of the zone and is unaffected.

Sphere of Life - Project a 10 meter dome around you. If an ally would die, they are placed in stasis for a maximum of 10 seconds. Every 10 points of healing done to them reduces the duration of the stasis by X seconds.

The following are ultimate ideas centralized around some of Mercy’s skins.

(Devil/Imp) Deal with the Devil - Mercy reduces the health of an ally to 1, but grants them immunity from incoming damage and incoming healing for X seconds. - This would pretty much define Mercy as a pocketing support, able to work well with ultimates that leave heroes vulnerable, but placing the receiving hero in a cautious position after they have dealt their damage.

(Valkyrie/Sigrun) Divine Intervention - Mercy calls upon an otherworldly spirit. For 5 seconds, the target currently attached to her beam takes 90% less damage. Mercy gains this benefit if she is not attached to a target. - Yep, very similar to ubercharge. Again, would define her as a pocketing hero, which seems to be where Blizzard wants her to go.

(Witch) Desperate bargain - Mercy gains the ability to fly for 15 seconds and increases her healing by +50% (+75 HP/S base) + X for every allied soul currently on the battlefield, which she consumes upon activation. Allies instantly respawn. - To be honest, this is what I imagined Valkyrie in its current state should be. This punishes Mercy by removing potential GA targets, but can allow her to turn the fight in her team favor even if several allies are already dead. The functionality is similar to current Valkyrie but emphasizes getting good timing to get the maximum value out of its ability. The decision to perhaps activate it when 1 or 2 allies are dead adds much needed risk/reward to Mercy’s kit, with riskier plays of removing your mobility allowing your allies to live for longer.

(Zhuque) Phoenix - Mercy’s wings expand in a large AOE around her, applying CC immunity to herself and granting herself a super heal of X HP/S. If an ally dies in this radius, or has died and is touched by the radius, they are resurrected at the end of the duration. Mercy is slowed during this, but enemies take 50 damage every 2 seconds from a spiral of flames emanating from her. - This would probably be the strongest idea out of everything, however it gives a clear indication that Mercy is resurrecting and gives enemy’s an opportunity to burst her down before she gets an opportunity to resurrect her allies.

(Winged Victory) Chooser of the Victorious - Mercy throws a projectile out. The first ally that picks this up cannot fall below 1 HP for 5 seconds. - This would likely have a low charge cost and would be used quite frequently. Might require a stronger base kit?

(Combat Medic Ziegler) Non-Combatant Immunity - Mercy immediately grants herself immunity for at least 2.25 seconds. If Mercy then takes damage after this, the damage is negated and the target that dealt this damage is disarmed or silenced for 4 seconds depending on how they damaged Mercy - This would probably require Mercy’s base kit to be substantially stronger and might even justify a nerf to her passive due to increasing her survivability by quite a bit.

• Disarm - The target is unable to use their primary method of attack (LMB/RMB)

• Silence - The target is unable to use any of their abilities.

The following are ability ideas which Rework Resurrect as a basic ability, either by tweaking its current reactive format or placing it on a more proactive role.

Resurrection (1) -

NEW RESOURCE: Soul Charge. Mercy gains Soul Charge by damaging enemies, or by healing and boosting allies. By expending 100 soul charge, Mercy can resurrect an ally. (Assumes current restrictions)

Resurrection (2) - Mercy targets an allied soul. For up to 6 seconds she can begin healing it, and if the target reaches 100 HP they are revived.

Resurrection (3) - Mercy marks an allied soul on the ground. If she can stay alive for 5 seconds after marking the target, they are instantly revived. (No restrictions apart from surviving.) - This removes the difficulty that Mercy 2.0 had at the beginning where it was possible to just walk out and revive someone and die instantly. This emphasises the need to survive as Mercy to get value off.

Stabilize - Mercy quickly stabilizes a targeted ally, reviving them at 1 HP. (No restrictions, given the critical state your ally is revived in.)

• Replaced with Resurrect during Valkyrie, assuming current ultimate
  • Also may justify a longer invulnerability time or boosted healing on the single target during invulnerability.

Pre-emptive care - Place a visible buff on a targeted ally. If they would die, they are instantly revived.

The following ability ideas are ones which remove Resurrect as a basic ability by replacing it with an entirely new ability.

I have reworded these to be simplistic, as they shouldn’t have much nuance to them. I have left the statistics generally vague as some of these are completely new reinventions that I would not be comfortable placing hard numbers on.

Valkyrie - Mercy gains the ability to freely fly for X seconds.

Pacify - Mercy throws a projectile which disarms an enemy target.

Biotic Overcharge - Mercy overcharges her beams, causing them to split off to nearby allied targets.

Manual Restorative Charge - Mercy immediately grants herself X health, but her passive is disabled until this ability is off-cooldown again.

Mechanical retrofit (Middle Mouse Button) - Mercy gains the ability to target allied turrets with her primary and secondary fire. Additionally, healing a tank that has a deployable barrier will simultaneously heal the barrier along with the primary target.

Lay to rest - Target an ally’s soul within melee range. The soul disappears and they immediately respawn with increased movement speed.

Gone but not forgotten - Target an ally’s soul. The soul attacks nearby enemies and persists until the ally has respawned + X seconds. If a soul deals X damage, the ally gains an option to teleport to it.

Code 3 - For several seconds you gain increased movement speed when walking towards injured allies. Guardian Angel is also enhanced if used on an injured target.

Patient Zero - Target an ally. For several seconds, any healing that you (Mercy) directly do to them will also heal in an AOE around them.

Self-Care - Target an ally. They gain a lifesteal of 25% on their attacks for X seconds.

Prescribed Medicine - Target an ally. They gain a new ability, which when pressed heals them for 75 HP. Expires when this ability is off cooldown.

Sterile Environment - Mercy projects a field around her which prevents crowd control from affecting her allies.

Seraphim: Mercy unveils an additional 2 pairs of wings. For 4 seconds afterwards, any use of Guardian Angel creates a slipstream in which allies are healed for 20 HP/s for 4 seconds. Additionally, each wing causes her to move +5% faster, and has 50 health, covering Mercy’s hitbox. Destroying a wing only destroys that wing segment. The wings will remain on Mercy’s character until the ability ends.

Oh also this is my favourite rework idea if I could personally rework her

https ://www.reddit. com/r/OverwatchHeroConcepts/comments/9g2m8k/mercy_30/

38 Likes

60 HPS, source: developers comments when they switched them… and the partial revert. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Did I win? Or am I ineligible because I do not play Mercy? :crazy_face:

I unintentionally did.

I can write out all my ideas as well if you’d like.
Edit: Accidentally linked to the last post… fixed now

1 Like

Here is one of my ideas that I posted about potential rework to Mercy that makes her into a more MMORPG healer. I’ll add it down below the section because I think it can add a lot to this discussion.

I feel that this is DIRECTLY related to this thread because you’re asking for rework ideas… well here is mine described in long form:

I give context below but I am getting to the point right away for people.

Make her the primary healer like in MMORPG games like World of Warcraft. People often bring up the argument that revive would “undo hard work put in and break the game cycle loop”. I’m not here to argue this (I could, have and may eventually argue it again. But that’s not for this post.).

So I propose bringing revive into the rest of her kit and making her the literal embodiment of the main healer. Preventing death outright instead of needing to reverse it through revive.

I will trade in revive TO BE THE PRIMARY HEALER OF THIS GAME, and I do NOT mean adding more hp/s to our healing beam.

We are talking about Blizzard, the company that created WORLD OF WARCRAFT ITSELF. The game with healing classes like holy priest, restoration shaman, restoration druid, mistweaver monks and the like.

For me, I see Mercy as being most like a Holy Priest from WoW. A dedicated healer that doesn’t mix in shields or CC or the like. So I’ll be linking Holy Priest skills beside EACH skill suggestion.

Make Mercy the primary healer of this game by incorporating the elements of the holy priest from WoW into her kit.

1. Keep the healing beam exactly how it is now (or sure maybe add 10hp/s more because tbqh 50hp/s is a joke).

This beam is most similar to the priest elementary ability “Heal”.

1. Give her a “torbjorn armor” like mechanic where she can earn a SINGLE TARGET BURST HEAL. This is similar to MMORPG healers that have a high cost heal on a large cooldown. Difference is, Mercy needs to EARN this heal and it may not be spammed.

The similar Holy Priest skill is “Holy Word: Serenity”.

1. Give her an AOE burst heal to heal all allies. AoE healing is something Mercy dreadfully lacks. For a primary healer who is dedicated to healing, this is pretty shocking she lacks any real form of AoE healing on her own outside of ult.

The similar Holy Priest skill is: “Holy Word: Sanctify”

(Where Moira and Ana have fantastic options for AOE healing with other effects. Such as Moira’s adds a HoT ontop of the healing and is accessible at any times as her secondary fire. Ana’s adds an anti-healing debuff. Mercy’s would be RAW HEALING..)

4: Give her a single target HoT that would be able to be stacked with her healing beam if necessary or let her give an ally some healing from afar. This would allow skilled Mercy players to mitigate some damage (but clearly any form of burst > HoT) from distant allies or to stack this with her healing beam to get a tank through a massive chunk of damage.

The similar Holy Priest skill is “Renew”

So there. People want to remove revive? Let’s Make Mercy THE defacto primary healer.

I think that revive does have a place in this game, but so frequently do I see people disagree and think it has no place in this game to have an ability that happens “after a fight”.

Fine. If that’s the case and this revive is too hard to balance then let’s shift our attention to Mercy 3.0.

I want her to be THE DEFACTO PRIMARY HEALER WITHOUT PEER.

We can’t deal damage and heal, we can’t boost damage and heal. We are literally focused onto a heal beam and it’s not cutting it healing wise. Give us the full primary Holy Priest heal kit then.

I’d trade revive in for this ability set.

Contexts:

So a lot of people don’t want mass revive to return in spite of many threads showing it was balanced, rarely talked about and hide-and-res was one of the worst strategies one could employ.

But I digress above. This thread is WHAT ABOUT REMOVING REVIVE.

Blizzard’s statement: Mercy is the main healer of this game. So she is the primary healer in Overwatch. Some have even speculated that she can be looked at as being similar to a holy priest in WoW.

So what about removing revive? Yes. I said it. What about removing revive outright from her kit? Mercy 3.0. Me as someone who has been VERY ADAMANT about how we should return to mass revive, why or what would cause me to go back and say to perhaps outright remove revive as a mechanic.

a. She is not the main healer of this game at present. At all. I don’t care if people come in saying she supposedly is. She is by far outdone by Moira and Ana in that category and even Lucio now with his increased AOE area can easily overtake Mercy for gold healing. Yes really.

b. She is dedicated to healing and needs to literally completely focus her ENTIRE attention to healing. To do ANYTHING else requires her to completely swap out modes. She literally puts her staff away to draw out her pistol and NEEDS to swap back to go back to healing or damage boosting.

c. Her current playstyle is literally latching a healing beam onto a party member. (Crickets) Yes. That’s about it right now. You latch your single target healing beam onto one target party member and heal them.

She isn’t shooting at the same time. She isn’t adding CC at the same time. She isn’t adding debuffs at the same time. She isn’t adding buffs at the same time. She is literally ONLY HEALING WITH THE BEAM.

That’s all.

And that’s not fulfilling, that’s not skillful, that’s not interesting. That’s oversimplified and many people widely criticize her as being boring for it. And I can’t disagree.

Source of my post:

5 Likes

In truth that thread was supposed to be more trying to find small ways to change Mercy to keep her current fans happy while making her more fun for people who liked old Mercy

It… did not go as planned but I’m not unhappy with how it did go.

Idea 1
Simple revert. Mercy would be reverted to her state pre Sept 19, 2017 (no E ability, Rez on Q). Her invulnerability while Rez was active would also be removed.

Idea 2
Valkyrie is now on E, and Rez is on Q. Rez is now once again multitarget with a short cast time. The cast time gets longer the more being rezzed. (0.25 for 1, 0.5 for 2, 0.75 for 3, 1.00 for 4, and 1.25 for 5). Mercy now gains an effect similar to Orisa’s Fortify where she takes reduced damage instead of the previous Mass Rez’s invulnerability, adding counterplay to her ultimate. Valk on E acts similarly to how Overload on E for Torb. 5 second duration, no longer gives chain healing beams, but instead has a more powerful beam (like 70hps). Free flight and increased beam and GA ranges. 15 second cooldown.

Idea 3
Rez is still her ultimate, but instead of being like previous mass rez, or idea 2, Mercy has to individually rez each soul under a 7 second timer. Rez has no cast time, invulnerability, or damage reduction in this version. E ability would be Valk, just like Idea 2

1 Like

There have been a literal TON of ideas tossed around to change up/fix Mercy since the rework. Just look around a bt.

8 Likes

And my challenge to you, is to make a thread for Mercy mains and their ideas, without telling them to first omit mass-rez as an idea, or belittling them because their opinions on resurrect differ from your own. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

8 Likes

To be honest, it’s better if each idea has it’s own separate discussion thread.

Workshop down some of the rough edges. See if the idea can stand up by itself.

Also if the devs can’t grasp the majority of the details about the concept in about 15 seconds after they open the thread, you’ve probably lost them.

Walls of Text are really ineffective.

But yeah, dunno if I’m having an impact on the devs or just really perceptive.
But I know I personally influenced a vast majority of changes in PlanetSide 1 dev team. To the point that I had even exchanged a few emails with their executive producer.

From personal experience, that’s what I’ve seen work.

1 Like

That’s actually a fair point. And I will edit the above post.

But I would caution against having those as the only ideas in the portfolio.

That’s what I was trying to do.

The thread ran away from me for the most part.

I wonder if it would make sense to link to Mercy post concepts, then post what you like about it, and how it could be improved.

If it helps as well, there are a plethora of ideas that can be found in the various Mercy Feedback threads as well (and over 80,000+ posts) outside of just removing or including mass-rez itself as a solution. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

2 Likes

I posted this in another thread before but it didnt gain much traction but here, I’ll contribute.

1. Buff Valkyrie
  • Valkyrie’s healing increases to 100hps, its an ult, its supposed to be game changing.
  • Remove chain healing, the best thing about Mercy was her juggling teammates to teammates, chain beams removes that.
  • Damage boost can be upped to like 40% (?)
  • Give her 1 charge of rez and the cast time is reduced to 1s, slow reduction becomes 25%/
  • Valkyries duration reduced to 10s.
  • (Optional) Combine Her healing beam and damage boost into 1 beam making it do 90hps and 30% damage
  1. Rework. Give her the Torb/ Sym treatment
  • Valkyrie is now Mercy’s her E while Ressurection is on her Ultimate again.
  • Valkyrie’s chain beam and higher self regen is removed, everything else is kept; infinite ammo and flight.
  • Valkyries healing increases to about 65hps
    -Valkyrie lasts for 5s for a 15scd.
  • Ressurection (Ultimate) (Option A); LoS, Cast time 0.8s and damage reduction replaces invulenrability.
  • Ressurection (Ultimate) (Option B); Similar to A but on the chance that its a pre-emptive ult, like Zilean from LoL. Once casts, she emits an aura like Zens, teammates who die within a certain amount of time, gets revived. Once the rez buff wears off, teammates wont get revived.
2 Likes

I think someone has already done this. :sweat_smile:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19jlYKIjvp3Hyi5yUFqeO5dqYnlav64DlvmfteAJpl2I/edit?usp=sharing

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

:shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

Spreading positivity and ice cream, one Mercy at a time.

It’s definitely puzzled me why the people who wrote that document don’t post ideas like that as standalone discussion threads on the forums.

It’s a lot more variety of ideas than usual.

Because they made a poll and the one that got the most votes was the one highlighted in Titanium’s thread. :slight_smile:

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

:shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

Spreading positivity and ice cream, one Mercy at a time.

Well, do whatever tactics you think will work best. Me personally I’ve seen success by taking advantage of short attention spans, a bit of theming, and figuring out dozens design paths to get to a loosely defined goal.

Aka, spitballing ideas and seeing what sticks.

Putting all your eggs in one basket, and walls of text, is kinda the opposite of my experience of how to grab a developers attention and appreciation.

1 Like