I propose removing revive to rework Mercy into an MMORPG styled main healer

I give context below but I am getting to the point right away for people.

Make her the primary healer like in MMORPG games like World of Warcraft. People often bring up the argument that revive would “undo hard work put in and break the game cycle loop”. I’m not here to argue this (I could, have and may eventually argue it again. But that’s not for this post.).

So I propose bringing revive into the rest of her kit and making her the literal embodiment of the main healer. Preventing death outright instead of needing to reverse it through revive.

I will trade in revive TO BE THE PRIMARY HEALER OF THIS GAME, and I do NOT mean adding more hp/s to our healing beam.

We are talking about Blizzard, the company that created WORLD OF WARCRAFT ITSELF. The game with healing classes like holy priest, restoration shaman, restoration druid, mistweaver monks and the like.

For me, I see Mercy as being most like a Holy Priest from WoW. A dedicated healer that doesn’t mix in shields or CC or the like. So I’ll be linking Holy Priest skills beside EACH skill suggestion.

Make Mercy the primary healer of this game by incorporating the elements of the holy priest from WoW into her kit.

1. Keep the healing beam exactly how it is now (or sure maybe add 10hp/s more because tbqh 50hp/s is a joke).

This beam is most similar to the priest elementary ability “Heal”.

1. Give her a “torbjorn armor” like mechanic where she can earn a SINGLE TARGET BURST HEAL. This is similar to MMORPG healers that have a high cost heal on a large cooldown. Difference is, Mercy needs to EARN this heal and it may not be spammed.

The similar Holy Priest skill is “Holy Word: Serenity”.

1. Give her an AOE burst heal to heal all allies. AoE healing is something Mercy dreadfully lacks. For a primary healer who is dedicated to healing, this is pretty shocking she lacks any real form of AoE healing on her own outside of ult.

The similar Holy Priest skill is: “Holy Word: Sanctify”

(Where Moira and Ana have fantastic options for AOE healing with other effects. Such as Moira’s adds a HoT ontop of the healing and is accessible at any times as her secondary fire. Ana’s adds an anti-healing debuff. Mercy’s would be RAW HEALING..)

4: Give her a single target HoT that would be able to be stacked with her healing beam if necessary or let her give an ally some healing from afar. This would allow skilled Mercy players to mitigate some damage (but clearly any form of burst > HoT) from distant allies or to stack this with her healing beam to get a tank through a massive chunk of damage.

The similar Holy Priest skill is “Renew”

So there. People want to remove revive? Let’s Make Mercy THE defacto primary healer.

I think that revive does have a place in this game, but so frequently do I see people disagree and think it has no place in this game to have an ability that happens “after a fight”.

Fine. If that’s the case and this revive is too hard to balance then let’s shift our attention to Mercy 3.0.

I want her to be THE DEFACTO PRIMARY HEALER WITHOUT PEER.

We can’t deal damage and heal, we can’t boost damage and heal. We are literally focused onto a heal beam and it’s not cutting it healing wise. Give us the full primary Holy Priest heal kit then.

I’d trade revive in for this ability set.

Contexts:

So a lot of people don’t want mass revive to return in spite of many threads showing it was balanced, rarely talked about and hide-and-res was one of the worst strategies one could employ.

But I digress above. This thread is WHAT ABOUT REMOVING REVIVE.

Blizzard’s statement: Mercy is the main healer of this game. So she is the primary healer in Overwatch. Some have even speculated that she can be looked at as being similar to a holy priest in WoW.

So what about removing revive? Yes. I said it. What about removing revive outright from her kit? Mercy 3.0. Me as someone who has been VERY ADAMANT about how we should return to mass revive, why or what would cause me to go back and say to perhaps outright remove revive as a mechanic.

a. She is not the main healer of this game at present. At all. I don’t care if people come in saying she supposedly is. She is by far outdone by Moira and Ana in that category and even Lucio now with his increased AOE area can easily overtake Mercy for gold healing. Yes really.

b. She is dedicated to healing and needs to literally completely focus her ENTIRE attention to healing. To do ANYTHING else requires her to completely swap out modes. She literally puts her staff away to draw out her pistol and NEEDS to swap back to go back to healing or damage boosting.

c. Her current playstyle is literally latching a healing beam onto a party member. (Crickets) Yes. That’s about it right now. You latch your single target healing beam onto one target party member and heal them.

She isn’t shooting at the same time. She isn’t adding CC at the same time. She isn’t adding debuffs at the same time. She isn’t adding buffs at the same time. She is literally ONLY HEALING WITH THE BEAM.

That’s all.

And that’s not fulfilling, that’s not skillful, that’s not interesting. That’s oversimplified and many people widely criticize her as being boring for it. And I can’t disagree.

37 Likes

Damn

I think I like this more than Titanium’s rework(revert) proposal.

Good post!

6 Likes

Regardless of the fact that two of those are pseudo-healing cooldowns, you want to give her a HoT, a burst heal, an AoE burst heal, and retain the simplicity of her beams?

Besides the fact that this healing has no holes (such as Moira’s range and resource limitations) besides one skill having a gathering mechanic(?), we all know how well a healer without utility does.

Not well.
Moira has the niche on non-utility healing. Let’s not take her niche away from her even if it isn’t the best.

Edit: Unless you want to give Moira utility, too.

Why does Mercy HAS to be the main healer of the game? why can’t she be the support with a revive and let someone else like Moira be the main healer?

cough cough
cough

Sorry, flu season is just starting up. Can’t really help it.

Anyways, making her the undeniable best would probably be a bit overkill. Sure, she can be pretty good, but there needs to be situations where she isn’t prefered. All this would just make a Season 3 Ana 2.0, but with less skill.

Interesting idea though. A few pieces of this might work out well, just not all of it at once.

3 Likes

Bro they’re literally telling you the want her to be the only healer of this game.

Jack of all trades Master of Everything. Why not just revert all the Valkyrie nerfs and let her do all again? She can’t be oppressive if she’s meant to be the best at everything, might as well ask Blizzard to delete moira at this point

2 Likes

I NEED justice for Moira this is so depressing

It’s interesting you explicitly set that filter to this past week at that particular rank (which for the record is AFTER Mercy’s nearly 20% healing nerf).

But let’s go off the math I did earlier. Showing Mercy is actually currently in a pretty abysmal state and her total contributions are actually pitiful compared to other supports.

All percentages is showing HOW MUCH THE HERO TO THE LEFT (row) DOES COMPARED TO MERCY. Areas that the opposing hero does MORE than Mercy will be marked by a (+) and areas the opposing hero does LESS than Mercy will be marked by a (-).

Eg: Moira does 1395% MORE ELIMINATIONS THAN MERCY. (Yes, you read that right! ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE!)

HERO NAME------ ELIMS ----- OBJECTIVE ELIMS ----- DAMAGE% ----- HEALING%

Moira ---------------(+) 1395%----(+) 1406%---------------(+) 1455%-------(+) 5.5%

Zenyatta -----------(+) 1027%----(+) 871%-----------------(+) 2108%-------(-) 53%

Bridgette^1 -------(+) 1072%----(+) 931%-----------------(+) 1379%-------(-) 45%

Lucio^2 -------------(+) 940%------(+) 949%-----------------(+) 1438%-------(-) 19%

Ana -----------------(+) 717%------(+) 608%-----------------(+) 954%---------(-) 16.5%

^1 [If you look into the Bridgette vs. Mercy analysis below, you actually can see mathematical backing for the concept that Bridgette contributes more to “team sustain” than Mercy through her armor generation and healing.]

^2 [Lucio may offer “only” 19% less healing than Mercy. But this isn’t taking into account his shield barrier in any capacity. I couldn’t find average damage shielded by Lucio so I left this out because I wanted to keep this as mathematically relevant as possible. I’m quite sure it’s non-trivial.]

Note: Table does NOT account for armor, shield, healing increase or other utility

2 Likes

you forgot to write how much % does other supports have when rezzing people

Ana (-) 154613364834843%
Moira (-) 15136586461864%
Lucio (-) 1586186418561586%
Brigitte (-) 15631863483184%
Zennyatta (-) 1561836483648364%

1 Like

I made a post saying to just replace rez with holy priests gaurdian angel.

but thats a column!

Anyways, the “this month” column is irrelevant now due to the balance patch including Torb’s rework going live. Even if these changes did not directly occur to Mercy, the “this month” tab is now out of date. “This week” has to be used until the “this month” one only includes data from the current patch.

Couldn’t we just put Rez on this system?

1 Like

So a must pick?

2 Likes

Confirmed and characters.

This will result in either a throw pick or a tank meta. Pure healing/utility has no place in a game where everyone is expected to contribute to the firefight.

If this reasoning was true, then Mercy is already a throw pick or a tank meta pick.

Because ATM Mercy does NOT offer much in firefight contribution compared to other supports. Where the lowest elim support (only higher than Mercy) contributes: 940% MORE ELIMS, 608% MORE OBJECTIVE ELIMS AND 954% MORE DAMAGE.

I did the math here:

HERO NAME------ ELIMS ----- OBJECTIVE ELIMS ----- DAMAGE% ----- HEALING%

Moira ---------------(+) 1395%----(+) 1406%---------------(+) 1455%-------(+) 5.5%

Zenyatta -----------(+) 1027%----(+) 871%-----------------(+) 2108%-------(-) 53%

Bridgette^1 -------(+) 1072%----(+) 931%-----------------(+) 1379%-------(-) 45%

Lucio^2 -------------(+) 940%------(+) 949%-----------------(+) 1438%-------(-) 19%

Ana -----------------(+) 717%------(+) 608%-----------------(+) 954%---------(-) 16.5%

^1 [If you look into the Bridgette vs. Mercy analysis below, you actually can see mathematical backing for the concept that Bridgette contributes more to “team sustain” than Mercy through her armor generation and healing.]

^2 [Lucio may offer “only” 19% less healing than Mercy. But this isn’t taking into account his shield barrier in any capacity. I couldn’t find average damage shielded by Lucio so I left this out because I wanted to keep this as mathematically relevant as possible. I’m quite sure it’s non-trivial.]

Note: Table does NOT account for armor, shield, healing increase or other utility

I think the only thing they need to do with mercy is remove revive and replace it and maybe remove Valkyrie a dire replace it.

I like some of these ideas. Making her healing feel like it actually has an impact on the game would go someway to fixing her.

2 Likes

So you’re not here for discussion. She is one of the main healers and, if played well, will out-heal most other healers. I’m a good Lucio and usually get gold healing but a good Mercy can definitely take it from me.

Swapping to damage boost is pretty effortless actually.

Your bias is really showing now.
Her play-style involves healing beam, damage beam, Guardian Angel for positioning, and pulling out her pistol to finish off enemies.

This is quite telling though. If your play-style is like this, then all of these threads make sense. You’re simply not good with her.

You’re right about oversimplified, but that’s about it. Severely oversimplified.
Learning when to pull out the pistol is one thing that really separates good Mercy players from bad Mercy players.

If you swap between healing and damage boosting you can get the effects of both beams, more or less, try not just holding m1.

7 Likes

The interesting part is it’s showing change.

Mercy over the past month fell pretty harshly as people still were getting used to her and/or were too nervous to use her in comp.

But the fact that the week’s numbers show her on top means that people are getting back into the groove of playing her in the newest meta.

Either way, you literally said

Which is objectively false. On average, she is getting gold medals over these heroes simply because, on average, she is out healing them over the course of a game.

The best part is you even prove this in your own post. Even going over the monthly data instead of the weekly, you go over all the numbers and show that Moira is the only one actually out healing Mercy over the course of a match.

Yet somehow, despite you literally showing that almost every hero has a negative healing impact compared to Mercy, you still somehow feel like it’s appropriate to claim that Mercy is constantly getting outhealed by everyone, and that she can’t get golds at all when playing with them.

I don’t get it. I honestly don’t. Your story is contradictory and you’re proving yourself wrong at every turn.

Elims, Objective Elims, and Damage are all irrelevant.

This conversation is about her healing output. As you yourself have said, that’s all Mercy does, so bringing other numbers up is completely pointless.

Even then, you still fail to realize just what the word “context” seems to mean. You keep saying “Oh Moira has 14x more elims than Mercy!!!” as if she isn’t getting those by just throwing a random orb into a crowd and getting free tickle damage.

Likewise, Mercy isn’t a damage dealer, whereas Moira’s entire kit is focused around balancing heals with damage, so of course Moira’s damage is going to be significantly higher. That has always been the case, even when Mercy was an absolutely OP monster. Does that mean that Mercy needed a buff despite having a near 100% pickrate in all ranks simply because Moira out performs her significantly in both damage and elims?

Numbers aren’t the end all, be all. Please, think about what they actually mean instead of just copy pasting them into a post and going “OMG LOOK AT THE BIG NUMBERS MERCY IS SO BAD ATM BLIZZARD PLS BUFF”.

Just like it conveniently doesn’t account for Resing.

If you’re going to bring up the other healer’s non-heal utility, then you need to bring up Mercy’s. Otherwise you show an obvious bias that completely discredits everything you say.

4 Likes