Mercy Brainstorming

Welcome, welcome. Please check any and all toxicity and hate at the door on your way in. Thanks! While here, please do your best to keep an open mind and consider all sides of the argument.

Now, on to why I am writing this thread and possibly more like it. At this point, we’ve almost got 2 different Mercy communities. The one that prefers how she was pre rework and the one that prefers post rework.

So the obvious question we should be asking ourselves is… “What sort of changes can we give Mercy that will make her more agreeable to old Mercy fans without alienating new Mercy fans?”

The first one I’d like to discuss is simple. Instead of buffing all of Valkyrie healing to 60 as the current PTR is, only increase the healing received by the main target to say… 70-80 hps.

New Mercy fans, would you be ok with that, or even like that?
Old Mercy fans, would you like that more than what we’ve currently got?

Again, I’m not trying to add more toxicity to the forums with this, so please don’t attack each other or make sweeping generalizations.

4 Likes

Increase her base healing.
Find something better for an ult. Consider revert with all the solutions mentioned by people in the megathreads to avoid “hide and rez”, send people who have Mass-Rez PTSD to psychologist.

1 Like

I think she needs her gun buffed so she can do more outside of just healing and dmg boosting

I think 60hps was broken it can go back

I think you’re asking for too much here. Given what other threads have turned into.

1 Like

I might be, but I’m going for it anyway.

Copied and pasted from another post I made;

• Removes any necessity of skill. The benefits it provides apart from the base healing buff can already be achieved outside of Valkyrie by a good Mercy.
  • Makes you invulnerable to all but about 3 abilities/weapons in the game. That’s not fun. A large part of the fun for Mercy for me is being in danger and being able to get out if it, Valkyrie encourages me to not be in danger by being 30 meters away from my team mates.
  • Detaches you from a battle. The entire point of Valkyrie is to make it so Mercy is off the screen for the enemies and is just staring at their team the entire time.

I do not like anything about Valkyrie currently, because there’s no incentive to be active while doing it. I just sit still in the air and watch the same result play out even if I was moving.

1 Like

In my case, it FEELS unimpactful. It’s long and doesn’t give the oomf other ults do.

You fly, press LMB or RMB. The only fun part is using GA while on it, which you can use outside of it. Skill isn’t rewarded, it’s easy to use and doesn’t allow much improvement as most is done for you.

2 Likes

Two options

1. Buff Valkyrie
  • Valkyrie’s healing increases to 100hps, its an ult, its supposed to be game changing.
  • Remove chain healing, the best thing about Mercy was her juggling teammates to teammates, chain beams removes that.
  • Damage boost can be upped to like 40% (?)
  • Give her 1 charge of rez and the cast time is reduced to 1s.
  • Valkyries duration reduced to 10s.
  • (Optional) Combine Her healing beam and damage boost into 1 beam making it do 90hps and 30% damage
  1. Rework. Give her the Torb/ Sym treatment
  • Valkyrie is now Mercy’s her E while Ressurection is on her Ultimate again.
  • Valkyrie’s chain beam and higher self regen is removed, everything else is kept; infinite ammo and flight.
  • Valkyries healing increases to about 65hps
    -Valkyrie lasts for 5s for a 15scd.
  • Ressurection (Option A); LoS, Cast time 0.8s and damage reduction replaces invulenrability.
  • Ressurection (Option B); Similar to A but on the chance that its a pre-emptive ult, like Zilean from LoL. Once casts, teammates who die within a certain amount of time, gets revived. Once the rez buff wears off, teammates wont get revived.

And now I wait for people to lynch me on these ideas. :neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face:

1 Like

See that is much more constructive and I can work with that.

From there we can ask people who do like Valkyrie if they like certain pieces and if they don’t care about them we can talk about cutting them out and putting that power somewhere else.

So…
With the main beam being stronger than the chains, beam prioritization can matter again. (which is what this suggestion is going for)

It’s too safe, detatches you from the fight? Ok, does anyone like the perma regen? The extra long beam? If not… we can put that power somewhere else.

This is what I’m trying to get at. There are power shifts we can potentially do to Valkyrie that could make it better for you without destroying what makes it fun for others.

1 Like

sigh Guys, remember what OP said.

I don’t want this thread to turn into a flame war, please stop.

I don’t want Valkyrie to stay. There is nothing in its current state and any other state as being focused around healing that I want near Mercy.

If it changes to being focused on something else apart from Mercy’s main healing beam please go ahead but I ain’t supporting another lazy numbers change.

What about the buff/rework that Crestren posted? Even if that wouldn’t be your first choice, would that make it better?

Which one?

1. Still makes me dislike the ultimate. 100 HP/S isn’t impactful enough compared to its competitors (Coalescence and Nanoboost), and if we’re reducing the cast time it may as well be instant.

2. I don’t particularly care for Mass-Rez either. Valkyrie as an ability regardless makes more sense than as an ultimate, and Revive needs to be on an ultimate, though I’d like to see revive made functionally different to how it used to be to satisfy people that disliked it.

I did say her E and Q get switched.

And I did give an option for either A) back to where we were with LoS and etc or B) Zilean type of Ressurect, from LoL

“100 HPS isn’t impactful”

100HPS with Mercy’s lock on beam would 100% be impactful. You could make a 200HP hero near unkillable

Well then, already off to a good start. …I mean that literally, I’m glad you said this. We need more calm collected and constructive posts.

So coming from someone who doesn’t play mercy because I don’t find her fun, maybe I can offer a perspective as to what may make me want to play her.

I’m not a fan of how little skill ceiling there is to mercy. You heal…and that’s about it. Sure, there’s all the positioning and game sense, and I agree with that. That’s why I don’t assert she’s brain dead/no skill. But what I mean is, you left click to heal, and there’s nothing you can really do to heal better, or damage boost better, other than doing it at the right time. You can’t influence the outcome of a rez. You either do or you don’t. There’s not a way to better rez.

And in a sense, I get it. She’s designed to be the go to accessible healer that people can just pick up and go. But consider Lucio. Much of his healing is strictly passive, but there’s still the times to wallride, amp it up, switch to speed, shoot, boop, drop the beat. He’s got simple mechanics, but still a lot of ways to be better than the next guy over.

Mercy…not so much. I guess you could optimize healing and damage amp. Or when to valk, but once you valk, then what? I truly appreciate the bunny hop from GA. That was a welcome addition and wish they would add more stuff like it: little things that aren’t necessary to pick up the character and go, but can add to how good you can be as them.

1 Like

Nanoboost reduces incoming damage by 50%, essentially nullifying all one-shot abilities.

Coalescence heals each ally for 140 HP/S each and deals damage.

No, Valkyrie is not that strong.

Edit* And if you’re arguing the strength is a lock-on beam, Coalescence is very easy to aim, Nanoboost is auto-targeted.

to be fair, 100 HPS truly isn’t as good as 140 HPS with AoE potential and 70 DPS potential or everything Nano does.

Whether Valk needs to be as impactful as those two is a different debate.

Zilean type of revive seems very weak based on myself playing him, though it certainly dispels the argument of Mass-Rez being easy to pull off which I appreciate.

If I was going to choose any it would be 2b.