Hello everyone! The 1.30 patch is now online! You can find the patch notes for this new release by clicking here. As previously mentioned by Blizzard this patch will do a full reinstall of the Overwatch game client. As such there are important things you need to be made aware as you work to install this game.
PREPARE FOR THE INSTALLATION
- Please make sure your Windows Operating System and all device drivers (including your graphics card) are fully up to date.
- If you have the PTR patch installed or if you downloaded the prepatch released earlier this week, the patching processed will be expedited and your download will not be nearly as big.
INSTALLATION TROUBLESHOOTING AND TIPS
- This is a very large patch and unless you already have the PTR installed, you will very likely download up to 20 GB of data onto your system. Please keep this in mind if you have a metered internet connection.
- You do NOT need to uninstall Overwatch prior to installing. The BattleNet App Launcher or your console installer will handle everything. However, if you are a console user and you are encountering “insufficient storage space” errors, you may need to manually uninstall Overwatch in order to make enough room for the new game client.
- During the installation, you may see your download speed on the installation meter drop all the way to 0/kb for several seconds. If this happens do NOT stop the installation. This happens because the client needs to take the time to actually install and arrange files before it downloads any more. This is normal and your speed should return to normal within a few minutes.
- If at any time you are having problems installing the new client, please check this starting troubleshooting guide for common steps to resolve most common installation issues.
- If you have more complicated problems be sure to post in the technical support forum where players like me or Blizzard Support Agents can lend a hand. Remember to provide any error messages or a description of the system behaviors so that we can provide more specific troubleshooting.
ONCE THE INSTALLATION IS COMPLETE
- It is not uncommon for there to be a queue to log onto Overwatch. If this happens, please be patient as it will eventually resolve itself.
- I strongly recommend avoiding Competitive Play for a little while. It is not uncommon for there to be a rush of players trying to log in, this can cause problems with the game servers or network providers. Leaver Penalties cannot be reversed even in situations like these.
- If there are any issues affecting multiple players, please don’t shout “BOB, DO SOMETHING!” at your computer, instead be sure to follow @BlizzardCS on Twitter for any important alerts or announcements.
IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT FREEZING AND CRASHES WITH THIS PATCH
UPDATE, Lead Engineer Bill Warnecke has a posted a solution to resolving this symptom.