[Main Thread] Weather Effects Causing Performance Issues since Patch 51.0 (June 23 2020)

I’ve never had an issue with Heroes before. I’ve always had it set to max settings with no lag, but this latest patch has really messed up my framerate in game. Can we have a setting to turn the effects off or reduce the quality of effects so I don’t have to adjust my graphics settings down?

14 Likes

I know I’m having a lot more lag. I’m getting major lag spikes in game, especially when there are weather effects happening. But the game also seems a lot more laggy in general. It took a long time to exit my last game, for example. But yes, an option to disable or decrease the weather visuals would be very appreciated.

7 Likes

My frame rate is dropping to where the game’s unplayable about 10% of a match. really bad frame rate for almost the rest of the match. Geforce 970M never had troubles before.

3 Likes

i have the same problem, specialy during the storm…
fow snow it’s just constant drop of fps…
i’m not even playing at ultra, and i have gtx1070

3 Likes

same here i can run new games but i got fps on this lol

2 Likes

I lost my first ranked match to the snow lag. :frowning:

2 Likes

you’re not the only one :smiley:
this is the reason of my first post on forum …

3 Likes

only came to the forums to complain about the weather particles
game’s running smooth until the effects start, at which point performance tanks, so bad it’s a slideshow at points. fog’s the only one that is fine for me.

4 Likes

I experience the same. I never had lags before the latest patch. The game runs very slow since the latest patch. Even the exit screen is slow.

3 Likes

I’ve never had issues before. I can play Battlefield 5 with no problems. I had my settings on Ultra for Heroes of the Storm. I now experience I dropped two ridiculously low levels whenever these new effects come into play. Also, the game takes forever to exit the 5 best player screen. I even tried reducing my settings from Ultra to low on everything and experienced the exact same problems.

2 Likes

Lunar year patch problem all over again. I quit this game for two years because of this problem. Blizzard never answered to complaints. If they did answer, they made you do useless tests just like Microsoft employees. And, if I recall correctly, the reason why it wasn’t solved was that this problem didn’t affect all players (so it was basically not important enough).
Now the latency problem is back. And, yes, weather effects are the culprit. Ping goes from 15ms to 100+ the moment thunderstorm kicks in. Game becomes a slideshow even with high-end machine and a decent network connection.
Please, Blizzard, remove this Nexus anomaly as soon as possible.

5 Likes

I’m also getting frame rate and lag issues whenever the Weather Anomaly activates and lasting until the Weather effect ends. The fog one is especially bad. I didn’t have any problems with these frame rate drops or increased lag until the Mei patch. It happens every single time the Weather starts.

1 Like

Joining the lag train. The game is quite tough to play with these framerate drops.

3 Likes

Same, game is literally unplayable.

1 Like

Hey folks,

Usually when we see issues with a graphical update causing issues with a game, it’s a driver issue or something like that. Can you ensure that your operating system and drivers are completely up to date? There have also been some reports of permission issues with security programs since the patch, so you might uninstall those for good measure temporarily. If this works, report the problem to the support team for your security application. They probably need to update a definition.

Edited: The troubleshooting above is staying so that it can fix the small number of issues it fixes. However, we’ve identified some issues that we are working on now. In the mean time, we no longer need files. Thanks for the help!

I have now tested it. Updated everything. Everytime the snow starts ingame I start to lag. Can you fix this Blizzard?
Thanks

4 Likes

Please fix the latest Nexus Anomaly. The anomaly serves to lag my game to unplayable. Played for 5 years and never had this issue until this patch. Quitting until fixed.

3 Likes

Honestly i don’t know if i should post this here or in bug report. So i’ll post this in both.
As many of us in this patch, i’ve experienced a drastic fps drop because of the new implemented anomaly.
I’ve tried anything from low graphic settings to nvidia parameters, firewall permissions, closing a lot of background processes or cache clearing. All these settings did nothing for the anomaly problem itself, also if these should be done IMO constantly.
I thought that simply my PC can’t handle weather effects because old, but then i discovered that this problem occurred also on recent and more powerful graphic cards.
So i decided to play a bit enabling and disabling (one at a time) my graphic card, and then re-enable both simultaneously, since that in my case seems HOTS first tries to use my nvidia graphic card and even renders couple of frames with it, but then the game decides that it doesn’t want the GPU and tries to use my slower integrated Intel graphics card instead.

So these are the results:
Both graphic cards (before):
During weather effect: Between 5 and 25 fps
No weather effect: Between 30 and 55 fps

Only nvidia graphic card:
During weather effect: Stable 11 fps
No weather effect: Stable 11 fps

Both graphic cards (after):
During weather effect: Between 30 and 55 fps
No weather effect: Between 45 and 60 fps

So unless these are not coincidences it seems that the game goes smoother.

This is how i did to have better fps:
ALERT: be AWARE to NOT disable BOTH graphic cards! Otherwise you will see nothing anymore and be forced to intervene by your BIOS to solve.
0) I suggest to do this with closed client

1. Right click on your computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Display adapters
  2. You should see two graphic adapters, one for your integrated (processor) graphic card, and one for your NVidia/AMD graphic card
  3. Right click on integrated graphic card -> disable device
  4. Again, right click on integrated graphic card -> enable device
  5. you can open the client and play
  6. repeat this process everytime you restart or turn on your PC.

Hope this will work for at least someone else, and that this could be a hint to devs for a client-fix.

i have no integrated only amd

I’ve managed to fix stuttering issues I had with this update aswell, I had to restore hosts file in windows to default, I’ve also stopped all razer services and turned discord off. With that game started to work well again