My friend just had his 3080ti fried by this friggin game

I will take stuff that did not happen for 100$ alex.

I’ve mentioned this a few times in other threads, but in case you missed it, I recommend running MSI Afterburner with your NVidia GPU’s to better control their temps and power consumption. I currently down-volt my RTX2080ti OC to 85% of default power, 80c max temp, and always-on 60% fan max RPM (100% = hair drier noise levels). This is sufficient to keep the GPU fans relatively quiet, yet squeeze out 165fps @ 2k resolution on my current set-up. GPU temp maxes around 70c (usually mid 60’s), so it’s a good 10c below throttling temps.

I just gave a general advice that might keep your hardware alive bit longer when running hardware intensive software, but it will die eventually regardless.

Games or otherwise using a lot of ressources just point you toward the problem, they are not the primary cause.

I do wonder how many of the failing GPU’s had been used for Crypto-mining before becoming D4 work horses. Crypto-mining absolutely abused GPU’s 24/7 for many weeks or months at a time, then made their way into the secondary market after the big crypto-crash.

2 Likes

Maybe, but trying to find the original reason the hardware was weak is a waste of time.

If it’s new, they can contact manufacturer to change it. If it’s second hand, they accepted the risk this might happen in exchange for cheaper hardware.

Either way, it is not for Blizzard to save them. At best Blizzard could cap framerate to 120 by default, but the cards would still die down the line or on the next game.

Capping your framerate does not solve the issues this game causes as some are suggesting. There are serious bugs causing major problems. Even capping it in NVIDIA software does nothing to stop the heat ramp some people experience when doing things like opening their inventory or talking to certain NPCs.

I have this issue myself to a degree. My GPU will jump 10-20 degrees from certain UI elements being open even for less than a minute. Not combat. Not anything that should actually be doing anything at all. Certain UI elements stress the GPU more than combat in the densest dungeon while just standing in town. My in-game frame rate is capped at 100 currently, in NVIDIA control panel it’s capped higher at my monitors refresh rate. It shouldn’t even have to be that low but I was trying to keep the heat from jumping so high for no reason. The heat isn’t a problem until you talk to certain NPCs or for some people open the inventory.

Someone mentioned above NVIDIA reflex being a possible cause and I think that may be a factor. I have it on atm and I think I turned it off at one point, but my settings were reset either after the recent patch or updating my driver. After randomly turning various settings down I had significantly reduced the problem for awhile (temp would still spike from talking to certain NPCs, but not as much as before) and it came back recently so I think that may have been it.

And yes, we can say the actual hardware failures aren’t directly caused by the game, but we can simultaneously acknowledge that this game is an unoptimized buggy POS that’s causing stress on hardware that it shouldn’t be and that’s exasperating existing hardware problems for some people.

You shouldn’t have to “Check your temperatures” when you play a game.

Do you do this on console?

Computers and video games aren’t made to “Check your temperatures when used”

It doens’t work like that.

It is good to check them once and a while to ensure your stuff is clean but we shouldn’t have to do that.

Have you tried my MSI Afterburner suggestion? The recommended steps drop the GPU’s voltage while setting the fan speeds to always-on instead of periodic / reactive acceleration.

It does and it doesnt. It depends on how you wanted your equipment last. Also, in todays technology, GPU’s should have a safety net to avoid this kind of issue. But one thing I am sure of, technology specially machines like computers is like a LOTTERY, you either get the best or the worst one.

You dont overclock in console so you dont.

Interesting that there was this other game called New World, and people there were talking about that game frying their cards.

Now we are talking about Diablo 4 frying cards.

It’s clear the common denominator is the cards, not the games…

1 Like

I actually followed a guide on undervolting my GPU in aferburner to just keep the temps lower and while I think it worked most of the time, it doesn’t stop the vendor/UI bug. Also tried setting up a custom fan curve and I guess that lowered the average temperatures the rest of the time, but it doesn’t really prevent the vendor/UI issue. That drives my GPU temps up to 80c even if I undervolt it. I have no idea what it’s doing or how but there’s something weird going on with certain UI elements, possibly only when combined with certain other settings and factors, but it’s pretty weird. Thankfully it doesn’t kill my GPU or hasn’t yet, but I find it abnormal/concerning. Based on those tech support threads it also seems to affect a decent chunk of people, causing more serious problems for some.

When I play later I’ll turn reflex off again and see if that stops it from happening.

I’m do not recall seeing the same thing happen on my RTX2080ti OC at the vendor UI, but I will validate once I get home.

I would lock at 5 fps higher than your monitor refresh rate. Most are 60 or 120. There’s really no reason to go to a higher refresh than your display can support.

I think maybe some VR takes 240 (?) but I don’t VR.

Same, with a PNY built RTX 2070S card.

You guys who dont recognize as a hardware failure crack me up

I have no idea if this is an accurate description, but one person in the tech support thread (Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023 - #410 by Ordack-1181) wrote:

As people have pointed out, the most likely scenario is the vendor windows and main menu are being rendered on their own ignoring all options and likely FPS cap, which is resulting in the card not only double rendering, which is already very bad and stupid, but also the card being overcalled due to this runaway threading, this is similar to what happened with new world with its main menu overcalling the card to the point it was trying to hard render thousands upon thousands of FPS directly.

This behavior is near the point of being a power virus furmark kind of load causing this out of control load hit on cards that shouldn’t happen in any way for a properly coded game. Regardless of hardware faults being uncovered by this, it doesn’t matter, this behavior SHOULDN’T happen and yeah, needs to be 100% fixed by the games coders. Nvidia cannot fix this with drivers, AMD cannot fix this with drivers, Windows cannot fix this with an update, only the games coders themselves can fix this and are the ones that need to get a handle on this.

I’m running 165hz on my 2k display with an RTX2080ti OC. My previous main game was OW2, but I’m taking a break to do D4 dungeon crawl.

Psst … the quality in the nvdia power managmemt has been lacking lately with nvidia and its partners .

That is whats going on .

You do understand that the reason it happened is because there was a material fault with his equipment, right? Please tell me you arent clueless enough to think a video game actually caused it to break, lol.

i mean if everyone that use their 3080ti daily without issues posted you might be relieved but people without issues dont tend to post about that stuff :wink:

my 3080ti’s been running d4 12 hours a day since launch she’s still just as happy as she was day 1 <3