My friend just had his 3080ti fried by this friggin game

I mean this is a known issue, I use amd so haven’t had any temp problems but I still monitor it because of this and other games doing the same thing, mostly Nvidia tho so go amd is my second recommendation

I had my laptop “fry” while playing. Turns out, the laptop had a bad RAM stick the entire time, but nothing really used enough RAM to trigger the bad memory blocks. It was there all along, just Diablo 4 pointed it out; it wasn’t caused by Diablo 4.

Luckily, $60 later and the laptop is back up and running. Video cards though, aren’t as cheap. Best of luck to your friend!

Let me guess, Gigabyte or EVGA joke hw…

1 Like

Depending on when he bought it, a lot of the Thermal Pads on some of the 3080s and 3080tis are not on their proper position, and can cause some problems. One of my friends just replaced his thermal pads because his GPU was overheating and they werent even remotely in the correct spots.

There’s your first mistake.

There is NO REASON to run ANY game uncapped. Period. All that does is open the floodgates for failure. You are needlessly pushing the card harder than it has to run and wasting electricity, and stressing the card for no other reason than LOOK AT THE FPS.

At BEST, I would cap your FPS to about 5 FPS above the monitor refresh rate. And that would be for a game like CoD or something. For something like Diablo, you don’t need very high FPS anyway.

1 Like

Anyone who doesn’t limit their fps in the nvidia control panel deserves what they get.

There has been a consistent trend for a few months now (since the open betas) of people reporting that this game is frying hardware. Admittedly, I’m not a computer guru but I’ve built my own systems for 20 years.

If 1 person says the issue, it is dismissible. But, hundreds of people have reported it at this point. There is something up with this games code that is causing funkiness. I’ve suspected since launch that there is a VRAM memory leak, at the least.

IDK you’ve argued that there’s no issues; on the other hand, you are saying “do this to prevent issues”. Which is it? LOL

Is there some kind of assumption that people reporting this same issue have only ever played D4 on their system? That’s what it seems like.

I’m using a GTX 970 and the only issue I’ve had was needing to lock the max frame rate on the game options.

All these posts about fried cards is making me anxious every time I play the game with my ancient GPU but it has been fine so far with the appropriate settings.

Before I capped the FPS my card and my CPU were both at 80-100% usage, but now the GPU is 50-60% and the CPU is 25%. So anyone having issues should definitely make sure they cap the max frame rate.

That said I did notice that this game EATS memory.

1 Like

You’ll notice that AMD cards aren’t having this problem. Some of NV’s latest mid-to-high end video cards have problems with a combination of overheating VRAM and wonky power delivery from the VRMs. That was the problem with New World if I recall correctly: the GDDR6 was overheating massively due to insane fps in menus. It wasn’t the GPU itself overheating.

If D4 is having the same problem then Blizzard needs to look into how UI elements are affecting graphics load. NV can’t retroactively correct the problem through drivers since it’s largely a hardware issue that is only exposed under select conditions.

In the meantime run a framerate cap.

2 Likes

no it was similar to “New world problem.”

I think this is a misconception. When a card breaks it isn’t necessarily that the game is so demanding the card can’t keep up. Rather it’s sort of the opposite. In low intensity circumstances, your FPS will skyrocket because your card simply can do it. Your card is going to slam through as many frames as possible unless you limit it.

It’s safe for your GPU to do complicated things where there are intervals where it has to wait on something (thereby lower the FPS). But if it’s just processing something super simple without a cap, it’ll hit like 3000+ FPS and burn itself out.

I’m pretty sure New World had this problem where it exposed a weakness in EVGA cards, the menu and title screen was so simple that the FPS of 3090 cards skyrocketed and the cards themselves didn’t protect against it and fried.

Imagine riding your bike at high speed on highest gear, then it suddenly getting it slammed into the lowest gear possible. You people have bikes … right?

I mean seriously how hard is it to check the temperature on your cpu/gpu when you play a game? To even burn your gpu it means the gpu is probably sounding like an airplane taking off which should be a clear indicator something isn’t right.

Check your temps when running a new game every now and then and get a BASELINE. It should be common sense. If you see your card hitting 90c+ clearly something isn’t right(unless it’s a gtx 470 then it’s normal).

Vsync is another thing that helps immensely. Some games, especially indie ones, love to run uncapped fps in menus/loading screens. It’s just things you need to be mindful of. Listen to your computer.

you all need to watch Jay2cents… the 3080ti has a design flaw that very few games trigger occasionally. (new world, diablo 4, ect)
no other card has this defect, so if you dont have a 3080ti or 3090(same card basically), your 100% safe from said card killing defect

1 Like

Or it’s not sounding like an airplane and that’s also a problem.

You mean dead or dying fans? That would suck! Usually the card will start making weird sounds and vibrate when fans are getting bad. Lubrication will bring them back to life again.

I’m not surprised novice gamers are ignoring sounds from the computer. 10+ year or so ago then I would have understood it. These days not so much, computers are like christmas trees that people have standing out in the open. If something is wrong you’ll hear it and wouldn’t be a good idea to ignore it.

1 Like

That’s what I was getting at yeah. But even in that circumstance, all GPUs should self-protect. Not just go die.

Not surprised at the amount of people quick to blame D4 though.

I had my ASUS 3080ti for mining for a good 10months straight in max possible profit per day in a room temperature without shutting off. I still use it to play game like D4.

This is what happens when you’re a “gamer” and you have a “gaming” pc but you don’t know anything about hardware or software beyond what Highschool teaches you.

To me, max performance means 120 FPS. I think the ppl who’s cards melted just let their FPS run wild and it exposed the faultiness of their card.

1 Like

I have a 3090 and running the game smoothly at highest settings with peak temp of 70c on my gpu. Of all games I’ve played Blizzard games have pretty good optimization.

1 Like