My friend just had his 3080ti fried by this friggin game

I have no idea if this is an accurate description, but one person in the tech support thread (Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023 - #410 by Ordack-1181) wrote:

As people have pointed out, the most likely scenario is the vendor windows and main menu are being rendered on their own ignoring all options and likely FPS cap, which is resulting in the card not only double rendering, which is already very bad and stupid, but also the card being overcalled due to this runaway threading, this is similar to what happened with new world with its main menu overcalling the card to the point it was trying to hard render thousands upon thousands of FPS directly.

This behavior is near the point of being a power virus furmark kind of load causing this out of control load hit on cards that shouldnā€™t happen in any way for a properly coded game. Regardless of hardware faults being uncovered by this, it doesnā€™t matter, this behavior SHOULDNā€™T happen and yeah, needs to be 100% fixed by the games coders. Nvidia cannot fix this with drivers, AMD cannot fix this with drivers, Windows cannot fix this with an update, only the games coders themselves can fix this and are the ones that need to get a handle on this.

Iā€™m running 165hz on my 2k display with an RTX2080ti OC. My previous main game was OW2, but Iā€™m taking a break to do D4 dungeon crawl.

Psst ā€¦ the quality in the nvdia power managmemt has been lacking lately with nvidia and its partners .

That is whats going on .

You do understand that the reason it happened is because there was a material fault with his equipment, right? Please tell me you arent clueless enough to think a video game actually caused it to break, lol.

i mean if everyone that use their 3080ti daily without issues posted you might be relieved but people without issues dont tend to post about that stuff :wink:

my 3080tiā€™s been running d4 12 hours a day since launch sheā€™s still just as happy as she was day 1 <3

So I suggest you donā€™t use your 3080ti on anything too strenuous because your friends fried while playing this game because the card was flawed not the game.

The game puts the card through its paces, particularly if you donā€™t put a sensible limit on the frame rate.

Because of a flaw some 3080s are prone to failure if put under stress.

Not the games fault, a fault with the card if your friends card is still under warranty he should talk to the manufacturer.

Instead of undervolting, slide the power limit to 75%.

I have a 3080 at 70% power limit, 165 FPS maxed out all quality settings at UW1440P and my air cooled card reaches 58 Celsius maximum, with a maximum power draw of 220 watts.

Have no crashes, heat issues, stuttering or anything like that.

Less than a 100 people posting about that on a game with more than 10million sold is basically a rounding error. Not even remotely ā€˜enoughā€™

1 Like

Blame Nvidia, not Blizzard.

You donā€™t know the real number of people, but you affirm it.
You do not know the actual number of sales, but you affirm it.
Not even remotely ā€˜enoughā€™ to know what the problem is, but here it continues.

Just tested briefly in a town at an occultist. Leaving menu open for a minute or so, got to 78c just standing in town at this NPC.

Turned NVIDIA reflex off and did the same thing and it only got to 58c, so that seems to be a huge factor for some reason.

I was under the impression that limiting the GPU power was undervolting, but I guess I was wrong lol. I run 85% max power since my RTX2080ti is OCā€™d by factory defaults, but keeping the fan at 60% always-on was another key adjustment to keep them relatively quiet all the time.

I know what Blizzard, the only ones that actually know, have given us. Which is exactly what I said.
Unless you think Blizzard are giving out false financial information to their investors.

YES , it runs hot like most big games. most people dont keep an eye on it. i kept mine nice and steady at 36 celcius. ( 98.6 f )

I donā€™t think this game needs the enhanced input speed that Reflex grants, and this seems to impact the RTX3000ā€™s more than the previous generation.

Undervolting means you adjust the voltage curve for the GPU, either by an offset or by frequency curve steps using the auto tune wizard for 3000 and higher series cards.

Limiting the GPU power limits the amount of power the card is allowed to draw. It mostly has limited effects on the frame rate, but great effects on heat output as you bring the card down from 330 Watts to 220 Watts power draw, mostly without performance loss that would be a deal breaker.

there are so many different specs its bound to happen eventually to somebody. it can be anything from big to miniscule. quit blaming the company. i run with some pretty low pc specs and nothign ever fries up or overheats here. Something about those high end gpus that seem to always be busting.

sounds like nvidia got THEIR money worth.

very likely your friends PC is poorly configured/optimized and playing a recent demanding release taxed it, highlighting existing issues.

if heā€™s not equipped to repair his build then a local PC repair shop can help.

I only help friends & family, but its very common for custom builds to have:

• Incorrect BIOS settings, including XMP/DOCP
  • Poorly tuned fan curves
  • Improperly installed components
  • Excess temps for a variety of reasons

Free software such as OCCT, HWinfo64. CPUID, GPU-Z can help diagnose failing components, high temps, hardware errors.

1 Like

There are so many things that could lead to a GPU dying. The game isnā€™t necessarily out of the question, but if they overclock it that could be an issue. Could also be a defect in the GPU itself.

Iā€™ve been playing this on a Gigabyte 3070ti and it hasnā€™t blown up on me. But I left it stock and itā€™s only on PCIe3 as I have to upgrade my MB and want to change out the CPU as well (ended up looking at $1000 to get a current gen CPU, cooler, MB and DDR5). I also have 9 70+ CFM case fans using PWM based on temp sensor readings to run 100% around 70 C

2 Likes

Incorrect, Blizzard does not give, nor has it given numbers. (like the rest of your claims)

In my toaster it goes great at 30fps, stop blaming my beloved Blizzard.