Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

Fixed - Randomly Updated to hi-res texture pack last night and made no difference to my experience… however… have been playing WoW all day, logged over to D4 tonight and everything is buttery smooth! There were no updates that I know of so not sure what it was exactly that fixed it.

Hi everyone, since the beta weekends and now with launch, I keep having the game lock up for upwards of 30 seconds whenever I try to open my inventory, the menu or shops. The game doesn’t crash but cpu/gpu usage go to zero and then it all goes smoothly again.

It makes it so difficult to really get into it.

Asus G15 Advantage Edition
5900HX
6800M
32gb ram
1tb + 1 tb ssd

Game runs beautifully otherwise - locked to 120fps at 1440p with nearly everything maxed out. Updated drivers for everything.

Any ideas?
Cheers

15 Likes

I was reading on reddit that apparently if you don’t have the High res assets downloaded ( even if you don’t use them) This bug appears I’m updating my install now and will let you know how it goes

1 Like

Thanks! I should’ve mentioned I have not downloaded the high res assets.

Just finished downloading it and can confirm it resolved the issue for me. How this wasn’t fixed since the beta weekend blows my mind.

3 Likes

Oh no, its worse than you think. I had this same issue in the beta even WITH the assets installed, and then the game fixed with the removal of the assets/a driver update.

They somehow rebroke things.

How do you check if you’ve installed them or not?
Nevermind, I found it, I have them installed and applied, still have the issue. Nothing seems to fix it.

3 Likes

Same thing happened to me too. At one point, the game just froze and it never unfroze. I had to kill the game and relaunch it again!

2 Likes

I’m also having this issue.

The only specs we have in common are the 32gb of RAM.

I do also have a 1TB NVME SSD but that’s my only internal storage.

I’m currently redownloading the game, if that doesn’t fix it, I’ll try the high res textures.

Edit: I downloaded the High Res textures and that fixed it. No idea why.

Same issue. Using Nvidia latest drivers. Didn’t have the problem on beta, but have now. Maybe I sholdn’t have updated my drivers.

If it keeps up, I will try the high tex as well. Pains me to spend that much space for something I won’t even use though.

2 Likes

I’m having this issue too. it seems to be random for me, sometimes the game will load and freeze as soon as I open the character screen, other times the character screen will open just fine but will freeze if I use the escape menu, other times it will freeze on the character screen, when it unfreezes it will be fine when I press escape but then freeze if I go to the social menu.

I’ve tried the following based on forum posts I’ve seen with issues to do with freezing for any reason

1: Moved the game to a slower SSD - I had it installed on a gen 4 NVME drive, moved it to a sata SSD to see if that helped, it did not.
2: Tried to decrease the graphics settings - this also did not make a difference
3: turned on HAGS (Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling) - this was a stab in the dark from me but also did not help
4: Disabled Exploit protection settings in Windows Defender - again not a solution but tried it based on it being an issue with other games where Control flow guard would cause stuttering in games like battlefield.

my build is 32GB Ram - RTX 3060Ti - Ryzen 5 3600X on Windows 11 running off of a 1TB Gen 4 NVME SSD

just thought I’d leave this information here in case its helpful in pinpointing what the issue is

I will also try the high resolution textures as I believe redownloading the game is not going to be a solution either. I also did not have these issues during the beta on this same machine so I am not sure why its doing this now. Hopefully Blizzard can use any of the info in this post to come up with a solution for a future patch though. and of course, if anything solves the issue for me in the meantime I will come back and let everyone know what my solution was in case it helps anyone else.

2 Likes

Also happening for me. Game will freeze for 10-30s every time I open a menu or UI component for the first time in a session. Then everytime I try to fast travel the game freezes for up to 2 mins at a time, often game stops responding before eventually loading. Nearly unplayable.

Interestingly when it happens, CPU, GPU and disk usage all drop to near 0%, until it unfreezes then everything jumps back up to a normal amount.

2 Likes

I have the same problems to but my game crashes to desktop.

1 Like

Had this same issue. Installing the high res asset pack fixed everything for me

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue since the first open beta it’s nice to see there’s finally posts about it with suggestions to fix it, i will try to install high res pack and see how it goes

2 Likes

Yup same here. Its particularly bad when loading UI aspects and sometimes loadng new instances. It can hang for several minutes sometimes.

2 Likes

Also hve this Issue. Trying to install the highres assets now.

1 Like

update, it seems for now at least the issue has been fixed for me after downloading the high resolution textures. will report back again if it starts freezing again however to correct this

Having the same issue here. Longest pause has been around 3 minutes.

Running a 3080, 10th gen i9, 1440p 144hz,

Will install the hi res assets and see if it’s fixed.

This issue is an absolute killer for motivation to play this game.

7 Likes

Update: i’ve installed the high res pack and now all freezing is completely gone, @Wolfy910 you’re a godsend cheers man

Hey everyone,

For those who experienced this issue and it was resolved by installing the High Res Textures, could you please report this specific issue on the Bug Report Forums to help our Dev teams investigate the issue.

If you have updated to the high res assets and it did not help the issue, and your symptoms match what is being described here, please follow the steps here and reply back if further assistance is needed. (Be sure to include the information requested in the linked post.)

1 Like