My friend just had his 3080ti fried by this friggin game

This guy is the biggest Diablo nerd, he even plays Immortal he loves the franchise so much. But he just finished a world tier 3 boss, nothing crazy, and the game hard crashed, pc started freaking out, and its donezo. He did a clean install with the up to date drivers. Nothing. This game is costing him $1200+ and I’m raising hell about it. It’s terrible enough this sort of thing happened in betas the fact this happened NOW is unacceptable, brutal, and pathetic. I have a 3080ti myself, you know I’m not touching the game anymore. So buyer beware. You might just lose one of your most expensive pc parts if you play. I’m still just… actually speechless.

12 Likes

I’ve seen a couple of these now. I’m guessing this game just runs really hot and people just don’t have as good ventilation in a case.

10 Likes

The game itself doesn’t really have anything to do with it.

Tell him to get the card changed through its warranty because when this happens, it means the hardware itself had a problem.

And if he doesn’t want the full power of the card used, he can set a maximum framerate ingame or in Nvidia control panel.

15 Likes

Obviously reports like this are anecdotal in nature, but he isn’t an idiot when it comes to making a PC. And looking into it, others have also stated their ventilation was totally fine and it happened to them.

The fault being the game would be extremely unlikely, your time is better spent investigating the warranty on the GPU and seeing what can be done there. If the computer was overheating like Mythos mentioned, you should have been able to hear the sound of the fans at max speed and the computer working hard, if it’s in a constant state like this it could be numerous reasons outside of the game itself.

It’s a terrible situation for your friend and I do sympathize, but I would encourage the warranty check path on the GPU, even if its expired I would see what can be done. Despite being a quality pc builder, parts can still faulter regardless of skill of the builder.

5 Likes

So he has video when the gpu is fried?

1 Like

The game didn’t kill his hardware, his hardware had defects. The game isn’t controlling his fans(heat) or voltage, which are the two things that can kill hardware. The game could be the most unoptimized garbage and it still wouldn’t kill a graphics card. Even if somehow the game did control the fan or voltage, the firmware/hardware has failsafes to shutdown at certain temps and voltage limits to protect the hardware.

Hopefully the card is still in warranty. Also is it a Gigabyte card? Those are known to have bad components on them and they fail pretty often.

10 Likes

Pretty sure this 3080ti was a used (mining) card.

2 Likes

Tell your buddy to learn how to take care of his system :skull::skull: diablo immortal player? Deserved

5 Likes

I’m running 3060ti and haven’t had any issues. Not running on max settings either as I don’t see the point, graphics aren’t exactly ground breaking in this game.

3 Likes

Yup. Lost a 4090 playing D4.

2 Likes

EVGA. And only half a yes to the bit about the game… it sounds like this is not new territory for D4 specifically… which smells all kinds of rotten

1 Like

Nekrage? I expected better my man…

Cap your FPS in the game, just like multiple other games I’ve purchased in the last 3 years because a lot of games come out of the box with no cap on FPS and all of them run hot. One of the first things I do in my settings with every game, including customizing my UI and audio, graphics settings, etc.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super and after capping my FPS I have had 0 issues with even the game running hot, much less capping my GPU/CPU.

2 Likes

I play on an $800 pc from Amazon with a RTX 2060 12gig vram. Max settings and have around 80fps with no problems. Nothing overheats and runs smooth. I am guessing anyone that is frying high end video cards has some other issues going on in the first place.

4 Likes

All these people saying “the card had a fault” probably aren’t wrong, but this game isn’t NEARLY visually intensive enough to push people’s cards beyond the breaking point.

There’s clearly something going on with this game in particular.

3 Likes

I mean if it wasnt D4 it could have just as easily been a benchmark test or just some other random program… The fault was ultimately with the cards safeguards

3 Likes

it’s not the game. it’s the user. An experienced pc gamer, builder’s PC would have never gotten toasted. i have never ever gotten any of my PC parts toasted because of a game in my 20+ yrs of gaming and building computers…

only parts that got toasted where those i flashed with a different bios or did some serious OC lol

5 Likes

It was funny seeing all the bugs in Skyrim while playing on a high end card before realising that the FPS should be capped.

Did your friend play with uncapped framerate?
Did his pc not turn itself off from heat protection?
Was there any overclocking involved?

2 Likes

To all those saying ‘the card has a fault’ ‘its not the game its the user’
The first of those statements seem obviously true. A 3080ti SHOULDNT be fried by D4. The second statement is dumb as hell though. A game shouldnt be a ticking time bomb because you run it on its automatic, or even high settings with a device THAT CAN EASILY HANDLE THOSE SETTINGS.

2 Likes