Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

You guys want Blizzard to acknowledge this issue ? Contact the press, pretty sure some gaming news site would be interested to learn about the issue, link this thread, link the numerous reddit thread, say it’s going since launch and that it is a potential rig killer (pretty sure I’ve read someone burn a laptop here…) They will react to this

4 Likes

idk maybe fix this during the 4 different betas, the first 2-3 weeks of live and before you push a season with other broken garbage you sold me for 70 dollars

1 Like

That’s why they buy streamers and the media and that’s why the game is the way it is, I wouldn’t expect help from people who don’t look beyond their own navel.

They can always try to get Jason Schreiers attention. :rofl:

2 Likes

I was actually hoping they would address during the so called “mega” patch but I guess I was wrong, I don’t see any improvement, the issues with the vendors/inventory remains exactly the same. At this point I strongly believe they’re just trying to see if this just dies.

3 Likes

Same here 5700 and when all the vram is consumed my pc freezes completely and I have to hit the button, I already wrote tickets to Blizzard and they say they understand the problem and are working on it, the problem is who knows when it will be 100 percent playable for us after paying a lot of money.

3 Likes

We have already exceeded 400 posts!! :partying_face: :100: :heart_on_fire:

And we still don’t have an official answer, this is a quality customer service. :skull_and_crossbones: :poop: :skull_and_crossbones:

10 Likes

It was very unfortunate to see absolutely ZERO performance fixes in this big patch but yes the core issues still remain. No it’s not things like fur, although those do contribute to increased GPU load but the core big problem is of course the vendor and main menu options screen runaway power draw.

As people have pointed out, the most likely scenario is the vendor windows and main menu are being rendered on their own ignoring all options and likely FPS cap, which is resulting in the card not only double rendering, which is already very bad and stupid, but also the card being overcalled due to this runaway threading, this is similar to what happened with new world with its main menu overcalling the card to the point it was trying to hard render thousands upon thousands of FPS directly.

This behavior is near the point of being a power virus furmark kind of load causing this out of control load hit on cards that shouldn’t happen in any way for a properly coded game. Regardless of hardware faults being uncovered by this, it doesn’t matter, this behavior SHOULDN’T happen and yeah, needs to be 100% fixed by the games coders. Nvidia cannot fix this with drivers, AMD cannot fix this with drivers, Windows cannot fix this with an update, only the games coders themselves can fix this and are the ones that need to get a handle on this.

11 Likes

Well said.

I can’t believe this is not a top prio to fix. Blizzard is known for good optimized games, so the teams are doing really good job.

But, how does this issue get past QA? It affect pretty much EVERYONE at some degree, but some ppl more than others.

5 Likes

If they knew the root cause it would be fixed already and they would ask for details and how to reproduce the game.

Do you know what is the root cause? I don’t dont.

How is this still awaiting response from blizzard. Acknowledged weeks ago and we are still hearing our fans turn into beyblades at vendors/inventory screens.

I’m not going to change my settings to bandaid bad dev work.

3090ti
4K res
32gb ddr5
I9-12900k
120fps capped already
120hz refresh
Everything maxed (reflex off, dlss on quality)

2 Likes

Well I had commented before how bad the vendor spikes were hitting my 3080ti. After the patch my usage and temps were 10c higher just on the character selection screen so back to Xbox Series X I went.

I was having a nice day off playing but the Xbox just bricked clicking on a quest. Nothing but black screen now. Thanks for ignoring this Blizzard.

Update. Did a reset and was able to recover from the “black screen of death” info I found on YouTube. It’s probably running hot on everything we just can’t run Afterburner on consoles. It’s so bizarre. I wonder if it’s because this NPC has a flame lit torch within view.

Running around in huge battles on PC at 4K 120fps I get 62c with DLSS on any setting. Vendors, menus, some NPCs, straight to 80c+ instantly and almost 100 percent usage, fans screaming.

Nobody can test this in all of Blizzard??? It’s real and is probably happening on every device to some extent.

1 Like

just adding to say that I have the same problem. for ages!

2 Likes

I’m not sure what settings I changed over time but before the last patch I think I had mostly gotten rid of or at least seriously reduced the vendor GPU heat spike thing but after the patch (or possibly after updating my GPU driver which reset some of D4’s graphic settings I think) it’s back.

It’s very annoying, I feel like I have to rush at any NPC so I can close the window quickly before the NPC tries to murder my GPU.

6 Likes

Turning NVIDIA reflex off seemed to reduce the heat significantly. Doing a brief test at an NPC, it went up to 78c fairly quickly at an occultist with it on, only 58c with it off.

edit: some npcs are worse than others I think, I actually hit 80c with ozren in kyorshavad open for awhile.

3 Likes

i tried this and its worked

I have this problem as well. I have rtx 4070 ti and have no issues whatsoever at 144 fps cap with ultra 1440p settings everywhere except inventory UI or a vendor like the blacksmith. The GPU utilization, temperature both go up the longer the UI elements are on screeen. I capped fps at 100 which is more acceptable but I would not leave the game at a vendor for a long time. This is a pretty serious bug in a game with tons of inventory management and vendor usage. Please make this a priority problem to fix. I can see this easily burning out high end video card unless the user is paying close attention. I have tried all the adjustments mentioned, but none solve the problem.

6 Likes

I’m on Xbox ps5 players are having the issue too. So this won’t help any of us. It’s a vram issue or a memory leak causing the came to completely crash try reading care bears post.

2 Likes

I’ve got a 4090 with an i9-13900K. I can pull an entire zone and my PC won’t flinch, but if I open a vendor my fans scream for help. I’ve got framerate capped at 144, but no DLSS on, because I want to play the game at max settings, which my hardware should more than support.

update: Watching my GPU performance, it jumps from 25% to 90% and goes from 70 degrees to 85 degress any time I talk to a vendor. This is pretty insane.

4 Likes

0 communication on this issue… well played blizzard :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I noticed that with the UI as well. I’m capped at 144fps and when I open my inventory it goes down to the low 120s. Let’s be honest here, a UI should not have that much of an impact lol

2 Likes