Hardcore 40s vs 8s — Delay before disconnected not like Original

Time before being disconnected is 8 seconds in Diablo 2 original vs 40-42 seconds for D2R. Which is absolutely insane. How can a ladder be launched without it being fixed?
I have personally lost characters in the top 10 in D2R and I know it’s not like d2 original which I have played for 20 years.
I know hardcore players who left the game because of “weird” deaths lags since d2R release. Those people used to play d2 original. It should be brought back to 8 seconds.

D2R clients displays “your connection has been interrupted” whit it’s obviously NOT the case. Server has not interrupted the connection.

Blizzard North reduced this Timeout time to 8s in the early 2000’s for reasons. Why disregarding it? Are server/network technicians acquainted with the topic? I was shocked after testing the disconnection time in D2R.
Any connection resets several times in a month or a week. Internet providers need to maintain their network facilities. It’s inevitable and will happen with a road to level 99, people organize their schedule for ladder resets… this should have been fixed before release of the ladder : back to eight seconds.

Furthermore, “Time out” message does not display in D2R although it does in Original. It should be displayed to know if the player purposely leave the game, or if we should wait him to reconnect for questing. It removes a social aspect compared to Original.

13 Likes

The main cause of hardcore death in D2R.

4 Likes

I’m quoting Misscheetah from an other thread (who despite her qualities is not a blizz representative btw). Her comment makes no sense and/or is wrong imo.

1. The game keeps the character more than 40 sec not “up to 10”. Only if the game crashes and drops the 8 players, people are instantly put out of the game.
  2. Part of the reason is to prevent people from forcefully pulling the plug themselves to avoid death consequences in bad situations.” Which is another stupid reason, since death in D2 happen instantly, 1 second to 5 seconds, it’s very quick. Escaping the game with ESC or alt f4 is faster than forcefully pulling the plug. Absolutely ridiculous comment.

I have respect for the amount of effort Misscheetah provides to socially connect the community. But here her comment makes no sense and simply shows her lack of understanding of D2.

Edit : misspelling

7 Likes

This issue is my main complaint about the game as it stands. Dying and losing some xp and gold in SC - whatever. But to lose an entire HC character and potentially months of work for a casual player - can be cause to quit the game. It would seem to me to be a fairly simple fix. Packet loss or a dropout wont last more than 3 seconds (3000 ms) in this day.

Coding the DC around a 10s window is still not great, but Ive witnessed these last as long as 1 minute. Its not a hard thing to fix, as long as youve identified the edge cases and not accidentally booting people.

1 Like

Considering I can make a keyboard macro to instantly quit game, a router Ethernet pull shouldn’t be the concern of Blizz.

I’d love to see a 1s disconnect implemented. If servers fail and I disconnect, I shouldn’t be in game for any amount of time.

Now if the servers hiccup and I lag in game and don’t full dc, I can still die, but I’m willing to accept that fate.

2 Likes

Confirmed, it holds you in game for 42 seconds when u get dc… This is pretty much end of hc for anyone who experiences this nonsense.

3 Likes

There are videos in youtube of hardcore players leaving the game cus of lag but the character stays in the game and dies while the player thinks he is in lobby chat.
These kind of issues have to be fixed or there is no reason to play hardcore.

3 Likes

yeah , Bliz are you listening ?

you were so eager to delete everyone’s Obsession staff which is one month old bug so that you completly didnot have a time to fix 20 years old bug with Baal wave II no exp gain and ppl being wiped out of their exp because of disconect. i personaly know bunch of ppl who are caped at lvl 97 because we just cant progress because of random disconects into lobby.

yah, thats a problem need to be check!

Maybe just don’t try to chicken out. But sure they could reduce the timer to 20 seconds

It’s not chickening out. It has nothing to do with leaving.
Loss of signal happens and characters does not answer. Death is inevitable whether you stay in game or leave. It was not the case in D2 original.

In a game with rapid healing and instant town portals, nobody ever intentionally pull the plug to survive. It makes no sense in a game where death occur sometimes in less than a second. I hope the devs consider why it’s been reduced to 8 seconds in d2 original.

I’m not playing the game although I really want to. Many dead hc friends don’t connect anymore either. You may understand if you play hardcore and grind to level 99, which is a lot of play time.

By the way, was there not following updates evoked along the lobby update ?

1 Like

10 seconds? Fire this employee for spewing this bs, thats such a lie. Ive sat there and watched my char die after like a full minute. Nice try though.

And really? You think people are going to PULL THE PLUG on their modem to avoid death?? What a lazy copout. Thats more work than alt f4 and would take more time.

No logic in these stupid responses.

They’re not an employee and even if they were you don’t fire someone over such a small mistake. Calm down its just a video game.

Also why do both people need to allow loot now?

A “mistake” ? Then why are they not fixing it? This huge delay is nonsense. And the problem is it does not occur only when there’s a connection break. And the character is still stuck dying when people play their character too fast for example. And in this case it has nothing to do with internet connection. It’s the game itself and it was not the case in original d2. The chances to die unfairly are exponentially more, especially if you play well and fast.

I do not understand why this is not reverted to 8 seconds like original.

Since Hardcore is not the majority, it seems they disdain the issue. No wonder their games feel like created for the masses nowadays, instead of old blizzard games where all niche players would all identify to the games.

Please devs, provide an answer to this issue.

It happened to me many times to die because of this. The dev team needs to fix this bug because it is useless. Because of this, I don’t even play that much anymore. That small mistake is my time!!Please fix this crap.

Just died because of the DC, and no, it wasnt problem of my connection, lvl 90 gone, once YOU dropped me from server, I stayed in game for about half a minute or more. With the 8 seconds DC from the original, problem would be solved. Seriously, are you kidding me? Roll me back and compensate, its the right thing to do, blizzard…