Unable to retrieve character list/character with that name exists

Update

Hey all,

Looks like they are restarting realms in a few minutes to help resolve the various issues you are all experiencing. Sorry for the short notice but hopefully this resolves the issue once the realms come back.

Going to create a thread so we can keep information and updates in one spot.

We’re aware of an issue where some folks are either unable to retrieve the character list, character with that name exists or getting world down and similar messsages.

It is being looked into. I’ll try to provide an update as soon as I hear anything new.

21 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

thanks!!!

1 Like

Thanks Vrak

1 Like

I had issues updating. Restarted my computer and it worked. Now its telling me there’s an error retrieving my characters. I’ve tried multiple times. I’ve closed the battle net app and restarted it and I still get the same error message. Is this happening to anyone else?

3 Likes

Same here…I was just on earlier and came back and now can’t find any of my toons. WTF?!

1 Like

yes, but i had the update done already, no issues. i was in game playing, got DC’d. logged back in, and no characters, error loading them. clicked reload and it showed all my characters as deleted. rebooted, and back to the error loading them.

Same, I was questing on Whisperwind when it logged me out, now when I log back in I get error retrieving characters and have none on the server (because they won’t load)

1 Like

i have had no problems until patch 8.3 launched
The Main issue right now is i cant even play, it says Error Receiving Character list and my screen is black in the background and i can see the character selection interface screen such as create character, log in is greyed out and so is the back button. Here are some other issues happening.

1. Constant Freezing
  2. Disconnects
  3. Stuck everytime i zone in and out of a vision
  4. Game crashes when i port from the boat

The Main issue right now is i cant even play

8 Likes

I just had the “world server down” after 20 min of error: unable to get character list" and very quick DCs

Same. I was fine for about 45 minutes when I first logged on. Game disconnected when I opened an Amathet Reliquary. I tried relogging and was fine for about 10 minutes then it disconnected again. On relog, it said Character Not Found so I tried another toon. Tried to hearth and disconnected.

Same issue, only now I’m getting “A character with that name already exists”.

I mean, it’s not wrong, but…

2 Likes

World server is down. Booted from game as though I lost a connection. Can not get back in - World Server is Down. Character list shows up; however, I get about 75% about in and then drops to World server down.

Noooo, same :frowning:

I’m also having the same problem; away for three months and this…

1 Like

thanks a buch blizz

That’s literally in the blue post at the top of the thread

1 Like

I have been disconnected all the time plus my main character now is froze, I cant login and just don’t go through the load page

Yeah it still isn’t letting me either, I restarted and character list came up and I go to long into my main on Dalaran server and it says world server is down now so idk what the heck is going on