Suspensions going out for cache abuse

haha yeah, during Vanilla I was very deep affliction with some destro and ruled BGs.

In TBC that plan didn’t work and I stopped doing BGs on the lock because every time I stepped into a BG, I got swarmed before I could get an insta-cast off. I may have made an enemy or two in Vanilla (snicker).

I just played my hunter and rogue more in TBC. However… when TBC launches… I’mma try SL/SL I can see how that would be killer. And I don’t see myself raiding on my lock (may give my priest a shot) so my current SM/Ruin build is disposable. Thanks fro the tip.

PS team up with a shadow priest…shadow weaving is INSANE. My spouse and I used to kill it in BGs with that combo. Again Vanilla :smiley:

a) No it doesn’t. That blue post doesn’t actually say they found any true offenders. Anywhere.

b) Now that they’ve unbanned people for simply opening the chest more than once or even aggressively farming it as the repeatable grind it looked like and that we’ve had before, this means it is not abuse. The only remaining behaviors I can think of that would constitute abuse would be unrelated to the chest itself, such as outright botting for the fragments – in which case you’re not banning for the chest, you’re banning for botting.

c) Even if we were to disregard both of those things and assume that there was some number of people whose bans stuck…we haven’t heard about any of them. We’ve heard of several dozen now that got unbanned, and zero who stayed banned. This is a presumed accuracy rate of, at best, zero percent.

They assumed the chest could only reset by an exploit, when it was in fact a bug that made it reset for everyone every time. It didn’t despawn at all and the mobs kept dropping fragments forever, for anyone. Now it correctly shuts off after first loot.

They also didn’t say they left any.

This is lawyer speak to defuse anger about an extreme knee-jerk reaction. Zero is a subset of “not always”.

^

1 Like

None of those logs have to do with 8.3 stuff. People just started hardcore stacking Loyal to the End (AEP azerite trait) and suiciding shamans to get like 1000 secondaries across the raid.

I wonder if this is why the servers went down, they are fixing it?

advertisement, same as most “betas” these days

5 Likes

No, that’s a whole separate issue with many players getting DC’d and then unable to log back in getting the “character with that name already exists” message:

1 Like

Are these the boxes in Uldum? I was wondering what the rationale was for them opening. Some of them opened, others said they needed a key. Really didn’t notice if they were big or small. I fly around in between looking for quest items looking for boxes to open and rares to kill. What’s wrong with that? This is not an exploit and no one should be suspended at all. My two cents.

I would not have assumed this was unintended since the hard capped the number of upgrades per week.

Next topic: ‘Suspensions going out for repeating daily quests’.

3 Likes

I mean to be fair you were trying to convince me that I was in the wrong

Read more carefully. Their initial analysis suggested an exploit. Further investigation revealed this was “not always” the case. That’s all it says.

In times of better good will and trust I’d have taken that at the implied face value you’re taking for granted: that there was an exploit in parallel with normal people just farming stuff that erroneously forgot to stop dropping.

But the thing is when exploits like that get banwaved and patched…we don’t just hear about those from Blizzard themselves. Usually people who get banned over that stuff are pretty open about communicating through other channels (reddit, discord, signal boosting through guildies, etc). There hasn’t been any. Total crickets. I can’t even find anyone whose ban stuck. My overwhelmingly strong suspicion is that “not always” is technically true lawyerspeak for “there wasn’t one”. PR goons do this all the time to diffuse anger when they screw up by implying they were partially justified but leaving wiggle room in case they’re called on it – not just in WoW but pretty much all business.

2 Likes

Hey Nobully. Didn’t I some years ago tell you I wanted to speak to you in voice chat and you never showed up? Don’t type anything online unless you can back it up verbally.

3 Likes

Let me know if Blizzard nerfed your way of getting the relics and chests. Right or wrong it wasn’t something that was intended this was easy to determine with some common sense.

It’s to test things and fix problems that usually end up in the live version regardless of what players say because Blizzard has their own internal team they actually listen to.

For real, like what?! Haven’t even gotten to that content yet, now I’m not even gonna open ONE of those because I don’t wanna get banned for looting a damn chest…

Why still arguing? Blizzard said suspensions reversed.

Solved! :wink:

1 Like

Been hotfixed. Probably best to close this thread down, not sure why they haven’t.

elune give me patience.

yes, there was an exploit.
yes, it was listed on “that website”.
yes, it was reported via bug report forum.

just because some people weren’t exploiting, doesn’t mean nobody was exploiting.
k?

1 Like

Read the Blue post so basically. There was bug letting players get more chests then intented, players did not realize it. While at the same time a few number of players found a way to force spawn more chests. In short it looked like a large number of people exploiting but in reality it was small number and the rest were victims of a bug they were unaware of.

4 Likes

That would be incorrect. The Black Empire coffers and Uldum reliquaries are the chests that you need a key for. Caches don’t need a key.