To subvert or not to subvert

And the Alliance player was never shamed for picking their faction by the developers in game.

2 Likes

No, they were shamed for that in public, in front of Blizzcon, which is much worse.

Or are we going to pretend like the Devs didn’t say in front of the Blizzcon crowd that the Alliance’s battle cry should be “Please have mercy”?

“Alliance players were never shamed by the Devs for picking Alliance” :clown_face:

World of Dresscraft and Begging for mercy from the Horde…Blizzcon 2010 (youtube.com)

For a big bad MHP who wants bloody vengeance on everything you sure do get your fee fees hurt by every little thing.

Again “in game”

3 Likes

If you don’t understand that being shamed in public at a big convention is much worse and more humiliating than being “shamed” in-game privately, you’re blocked.

“They made a mild joke about us!”

Also weren’t you giving me a hard time about explaining to someone about how cata’s rework was based on vanilla’s time crunch because it happened so long ago and you drag up that ancient grudge?

Stuff like this, this right here, is why I cannot stand the Horde.

Why do you make fun of My shame? I don’t make fun of yours. Why do you people have 0 sympathy whatsoever?

Whatever. Have fun taking quests from Jaina and Alleria while every character you grew up with except for Thrall is either dead or banished.

Well, this is what I get for biting.

1 Like

Show me a quest whose sole purpose is to make the Horde player feel miserable, powerless, hopeless, and defeated, all four at the same time.

A Display of Power.

Why do you make fun of My shame? I don’t make fun of yours. Why do you people have 0 sympathy whatsoever?

-you don’t make fun of the Horde’s shame.

You do this CONSTANTLY. I’ve seen you in multiple threads making multiple posts making fun of the Horde’s shame time and time again. This is an utter and blatant lie.

5 Likes

The question is irrelevant because it was a whataboutism meant to minimize my dissatisfaction with the story and ability to self-insert to a character by trying to draw a comparison when I wasn’t even trying to say one side or another had it worse.

3 Likes

Sympathy is a two way street. Can’t cry when your own methods are turned against you.

9 Likes

Presented, Varodoc not making fun of the Horde’s shame.

6 Likes

A troll doing trollish things… I’m shocked. Shocked…

So, onto more important matters.

Subversion is neither good nor bad it simple is.

It doesn’t really matter if the random poster on the internet thinks the subversion of the trope was done poorly what matters is… Did the product make money? Did the product cause engagement and by extension make money? If yes, then good enough.

If no, then you failed and need to move onto a different niche until you find that path to money.

1 Like

Not for lack of trying.
Jaina forcefully stopped him.

1 Like

That was also 14 years ago. A few things have happened between then and now in WoW’s story. Most of which have not been kind to either faction or their players who were invested in the lore. I apologize if this comes across as harsh, but you may want to move on.

3 Likes

I think Subversion is also way overused in this case.

The kindly orphan raising priest being secretly a slaving horrific villain is a subversion (or not, at this point looking at some anime)

The Crusader or Inquisitor types being cruel and vicious, but legitimately devout isn’t subverting anything, thats a basic dynamic backed by actual history.

If anything, the Argent Dawn being a legitimately benevolent crusade is the big subversion when it comes to religious tropes.

5 Likes

You Bobby Kotick?

1 Like

Truth.
/10characters

A lot of subversive story beats have ceased being so because frankly, at the point where everyone’s expecting it, it isn’t really subversive any more.

Even if the old tropey way of doing something is hundreds of years old, after even a single year of everyone subverting it the same way because they all think they’re being clever and new, it’s not really legitimately subversive (let alone clever) any more. It’s just the way it’s done now.

Which still doesn’t stop people from continuing to think they’re subverting old tired tropes, even once their subversion has itself quickly and clearly just become the new tired trope.

5 Likes