The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from The new Guild UI and Permissions...yikes (Part 1) - #5626 by Brahmina-khadgar.

Previous discussions:

6 Likes

Whose bright idea was to lump all these permissions under a single check box?

> New Permissions UI: https://i.imgur.com/v7WlrcH.png
> Old Permissions UI: https://i.imgur.com/Fi55wGh.png

Now to give someone access to officer chat, or give them the ability to set their own public note, I have to give them the ability to delete people’s messages, calendar events, notes, gmotd, kick people from voice chat, etc.

Thanks for taking more control away from the players…in favor for watered down solutions.

Edit: Copy of the OP from the original thread.

6 Likes

Well, we finally reached the max post limit of 5549, we are here still wanting Ion to follow up and fix something that was broken with the launch of communities.

3 Likes

Heh.

Just when I made a post about being optimistic, they closed the original thread. Figures. Now Fumel is going to have to go through and do his quoting thing again.

2 Likes

Testing how to copy from one thread to another (because I wasn’t happy with my first try).
This at least seems to have the original poster’s name in it.

2 Likes

Just a repost of a detailed post.

2 Likes

I just realized that by making this thread into a part 2, Blizzard effectively has hidden the fact that the problem dates from 2018.

7 Likes

Except they include a link to the original thread right there in the OP.

2 Likes

Yes, yes they do. But this thread looks like a brand new one in GD. Doesn’t have all the posts and views of the original, so it doesn’t stand out at all.

But all that really matters is if they fix the permissions. After that, both these threads can retire to oblivion.

2 Likes

Just have to fill this one up telling them to keep their promise and stop dragging it out for half a decade.

1 Like

Pretty much. I still think there was a lot of good advice and ideas in the old thread. I’m on the fence about dredging them up and reposting here. As Snefnug said, the link to the original thread is right there at the top of this one.

And maybe we don’t need to repost them because Blizz has already taken note and implemented those ideas in the new guild updates.

(Yeah, okay. That’s a tough one to swallow, I admit.)

1 Like

Here’s a nice post from early in the original thread:

2 Likes

I guess it’s nice they continued this thread instead of just closing it, but now I wonder why the system said it was continued after 5000 replies when it clearly had more. My last post in it says it’s #5549. Even weirder, the system’s OP here says my post is #5626. What’s up with that? Is it just the general wonkiness of the forums?

Regardless, we still need the permissions broken up again. Yes, we’ve gotten by without them for six years now, but is “getting by” really what Blizzard wants in their games? There have been some good things happening in these last few patches, so I’m hopeful that things are looking up for our concerns with guilds.

1 Like

(Just posting visuals vs. links)

New Permissions UI:

Old Permissions UI:

7 Likes

Awesome! Thanks. (I lost my ability to post those a while ago.)

2 Likes

You bet. Now that I’ve been actually looking at that which I posted, I’m a bit confused: why did blizzard change the permissions from a more a la carte style to a pre-packaged one?

3 Likes

In July 2018 Bliz introduced communities; an unintended result of this launch guild granular permissions controls were consolidated to just two ranks, essentially guild officer or not guild officer.

4 Likes

Interesting. I was going to ask if communities played a part.

3 Likes

Looking at the old guild permissions UI really makes me wonder what’s so hard about putting all that in an advanced settings tab? Of course, I don’t know why the communities broke guild permissions in the first place, and I’m not a programmer. But it still seems like making an advanced settings tab is the best solution. That would let people who like things as they are have their simple all-in-one permissions, while anyone who wants granular permissions can parcel them out as they see fit. Win-win.

4 Likes

Here’s another good post from the old thread that’s worth repeating:

Edit: It’s sad that this player clearly no longer plays WoW. One has to wonder which straw was one too many.

1 Like