The Arugal Problem

Hi CS,

After multiple attempts and different platforms, we’ve still received no communication on the extreme negative impact the removal of layers has had - especially on the Arugal Server. There is a summary of that here;

We believe that the data used looked at peak US times, not Oceanic US times (Which when you account for all countries represented on our server is about 2pm - 2am Australian Eastern Standard Time).

Since layering has been removed, our peak time has been hitting 5+ hour queues. This makes the game unplayable on weekdays and even some weekends for day workers. In addition to this, transfers are enabled TO Arugal despite these queues, as well as character creation for accounts which are new to the realm.

This presents a very large problem. A number of factors are making this very bad;

• Arugal is the only server on Oceania with the AQ gates open - players from other realms are transferring to us as a result.
  • There are no free transfers off the server
  • Even if we could transfer, we’d need to do the war effort all over again AND be disqualified from Scarab Lord because of the 90 day rule.
  • Much of Australia and New Zealand (Two major countries on the server) are experiencing COVID-19 restrictions meaning we’re all locked in the house most times of the day, leading to more online time.
  • Since the start of Phase 5 the server community has become much more closer. People leaving creates significant disruptions.
  • A significant increase of Bots and Multiboxers has occurred since allowing transfers and new character creation leading to more logged in accounts and bigger queues.

There’s no way your data analysts considered all of the above and felt that switching off layering was the correct call for Arugal. In my heart, I really want to think someone just read the wrong data and lumped Arugal in with US east and west time zones, not considering our peak hour is different. But part of me has this sinking feeling that this is by design to make increased money from transfers.

We have created a topic with over 900 replies, and countless other threads on the General Forums, and no one has engaged with us to give us insight or solutions to this problem. Wowhead and Icyveins have even covered our plight. The fact that these two news sites have and we have had no official response from you as an organization is upsetting.

We’re hemorrhaging community members and subsequently subscriptions for you. We can’t fill raids because we lose more than half to queues. We have to do dumb things to stay logged in to dodge the queues - a problem that is solved simply by having a 2nd layer which 99% of Arugal is completely fine with.

Please give us some sort of response or solution here - It’s ~11:15pm on Tuesday night as I make this post. In about 15 hours, Arugal is going to start getting backed up with a massive queue because Wednesday is a major raid night, and the queues will continue all week. The only non queue nights will be Tuesdays.

My recommendation is to keep the 2nd layer on Arugal until deep, deep into Phase 6 or we will keep running into the same issues.

1 Like

Best thing you can do is stick to one of the major threads in the Classic forums to continue to voice your concerns.

The blues that post here are not liaison to the development team that would make a decision on this but the blue Community Managers in Classic General forums are.

6 Likes

Thanks Perl

We’ve been trying - and I’d like to think I’m being one of the reasonable ones, even if some of our upside down brethren are not. From a PR and Customer experience perspective, to have not yet acknowledged or addressed a 900 post thread after a weekend of complaints is extremely poor.

I’ll try as many avenues as possible to try and get this message up the chain to SOMEONE who can assist us with this.

Looks like this got moved to tech support…interesting.

In any event, from what I’ve seen historically with Blizz, is that when they’re silent like this, it usually means that they’re talking it all in and trying to determine a solution. Having read through some of those threads, it seems like they’ve probably got a lot to weigh before making a decision.

Hopefully they can come up with something to make everyone happy!

6 Likes

What a complete cop out - does customer service mean nothing to your organization? Does customer experience complaints have no avenue to be escalated through the business? Do your teams literally have no way of escalating customer experience issues through to the development team for resolution?
It seems to me, from your direct comments, that Blizzard are putting the customer that pays your bills LAST and ‘Customer Service’ and community liason is simply just a sham - there is no interest in even attempting to progress the voice of the customer through your business.

Shame on you, Blizzard.

This evasive brush off should not be accepted…

Not “my” organization. I’m a player just like you.

What customer experience complaints? Do you mean people who are trying to log into a full server? That’s really not something that CS would have been able to help with anyway. You pay for access to the games/servers and not a specific server.

As I explained, the Community Managers handle that via the non-support related forums.

It actually sounds like you’re reading much too far into my comments as they are my own and not Blizz comments.

8 Likes

Show me where I said that exactly? I get that you’re upset about one of the servers being overpopulated. As a player myself, I don’t speak for Blizz. I use my own voice when I speak.

Again, I don’t know that Blizz is ignoring you. Perhaps re-read my second reply above. I’m actually saying that it’s my belief that they are listening.

But clearly you have already made your mind up by placing your own views as mine.

Best of luck to you.

8 Likes

You literally said that there is no avenue to escalate customer issues to the development team. Whether this is because these blues dont want to or cant via business mechanisms doesn’t matter - it shows that Blizzard doesnt value the voice of the customer enough to allow escalation from front-line staff.

Oh, so you have no actual proof - we should take your word that they arent ignoring us - when they clearly have been because they havent responded for 4 days or even acknowleged the issue. Paying customers being unable to access a product or service would be a high priority incident in any self respecting incident management model. I suppose they are happy to have people like you take the heat for their non-action.

Best of luck to you - but really, what you are saying is a ‘token effort’ response at trying to make blizzard look good in a horrible situation caused by their own mismangement and disregard for the OCE community at launch.

No, I said that Community Managers do that and that this is not a customer service issue.

Yes, that definitely does matter. People have jobs and those jobs have duties. Not everyone in the company does everyone else’s jobs. CMs pass along concerns from the threads in the General forums. Support Forum Agents don’t have that as part of their role.

You assuming it’s not, is just that. An assumption. As mentioned, you don’t pay for access to a single server. It’s been this way since Blizz launched.

And there you are again trying to tell me what I’m saying instead of simply reading it.

Unfortunately, the Tech Support forums (where this got moved to) aren’t the right place for this sort of feedback from you so hopefully this gets locked up soon.

8 Likes

So it got moved here to silence the thread. Isn’t there a trend here?

All I’m reading here is a lot of excuses for blizzard and no action by anyone. Why was this thread moved here to be ignored and die? Why won’t blizzard acknowledge the issue with Arugal? Why was the OCE situation managed so poorly to begin with? You don’t seem to have any answers so throwing out excuses is the best you can do.

Did it? Or because a mod thought it might be a tech issue. Again, with the assumptions.

Who exactly “manages” the people who chose that server? Did Blizz tell you that you had to play on that server and no others? Are you suggesting that Blizz should have chosen your server for you to make sure that all servers were properly balanced and too bad if you’re not with your friends or on the faction you wanted to choose?

Nobody is forcing you to post here. Nobody is preventing you from posting in one of the ongoing threads over in the Classic Gen forums. Best to take your comments there where they’ll be seen by the people you want them to be seen by.

7 Likes

Apologies for the confusion caused by the move. I understand you intended this to be feedback regarding the layering on Arugal and it was misinterpreted as a technical issue.

That being said, this is not a matter that Customer Support is involved in. For feedback regarding the game - including systems like layering - it’s best to keep those discussions in one place. The Classic forums, or the Arugal realm forums would be most appropriate for this discussion.

9 Likes