Survival, I guess they are done with us?

The key difference is that Hunters were always worse off in melee; including Survival. Survival was just able to be less worse-off because the idea was that in PvP other people would try to keep you in melee range so it was helpful to be able to do a little more damage when stuck there.

If you did see how SV worked in Classic you would have also noticed it primarily used a ranged weapon and was given good capabilities to escape melee and get back to range.

This is a very stark difference to modern SV which wants to be in melee as much as possible unless it’s too dangerous, and lacks a ranged weapon outside of some animations. So trying to look to Classic to justify modern SV doesn’t make a lot of sense.

You’re just describing a worse Hunter.

It doesn’t make sense anyway. You’re going up against the same powerful bosses and getting unique and strong equipment like the other specs, not surviving in the wild with no resources. Also, how does a literal grenade Wildfire Bomb fit in with that? The word you’re probably looking for is “resourceful” but of course it doesn’t make much sense for the “resourceful” spec to be arbitrarily avoiding the most powerful resource a Hunter has i.e. the ranged weapon.

This is mostly revisionist history. SV and MM had appreciably different playstyles for a long time and ranged Survival was a pretty good spec most of the time. Like many others even those in favour of ranged SV you’re remembering its last patch (6.2) with how badly it was gutted then and assuming it was always that bad.

SV actually played much more similarly to BM than MM. People who don’t know the class that well focus on the MM comparison because they don’t know how they played so they focus on the immediately obvious thematic distinction i.e. BM depended on a pet while both MM and SV didn’t. Yes that includes the class developers themselves.

So I appreciate the attempt to actually go into depth and look at each era but you’re still making a lot of mistakes. The main theme is that you’re assuming in each patch that if a spec is not the best then it must be “troll garbage”. Did it ever occur to you that there’s such a thing as multiple specs in a pure DPS class being viable at the same time? If you go through all those patches you can make the same argument about BM or MM always being bad. Because the best meta option changes often. It’s unusual for only one spec to be viable.

In Classic it wasn’t so useful in PvE, true. That’s because back then they envisioned pure DPS spec design very differently. All the specs had the same general playstyle and toolkit with mostly passive additive changes to fit different roles e.g. BM being the solo spec, MM being the raid spec, SV being the PvP spec.

In BC Expose Weakness was in fact very useful and it was common to bring one SV Hunter to a raid with it. This isn’t just misremembered history. You can verify this with BC classic logs.

In any case when most people think of ranged SV they’re thinking of the version from WotLK onwards with Explosive Shot because that’s when it got an appreciably unique playstyle and identity.

P.S. For Classic MM was best for raiding but in BC it was BM.

Yes MM outscaled it with armour penetration but SV was not “pretty bad” even by the end. It was a capable DPS spec. MM outscaled it only by TOC and early ICC and even then SV was a fine option. There were still many SV players in patch 3.3. This is one of those instances I was talking about where there’s a clear “meta” option but also a viable alternative.

IIRC it was MM that was the best in Firelands, but again there were plenty of SV players because the difference wasn’t too great.

MM lagged a fair bit behind. SV was generally the most popular in this xpac so it sounds like you’re either making this part up or remembering it wrong. Go look at some logs for MoP private servers. SV is far and away the most popular. Back in actual MoP the gap wasn’t so large and it changed a bit throughout the expansion but SV was in fact usually the most popular option even in Siege of Orgrimmar.

You seem to be remembering the Blackrock Foundry meta. BM ws good because it got a good set bonus. Before the set bonus SV was actually a very capable spec before then and in fact for much of Highmaul it was by far the most popular spec in the game (not just in the class). Even the world first Blackhand kill included 2 SV Hunters although to be fair I think it was because of problems with pet pathing on that fight.

As for HFC: It’s not just that MM got instant aimed shot. It’s that the entire borrowed power reality of that patch favoured MM and wrecked SV. Everything mainly revolved around priority add burst and 2-target cleave which were MM’s specialties. The main thing was the legendary ring which intensely favoured specs with 2 minute cooldowns that lined up with it; MM had that, SV had none. Then, as you say, on top of this SV was gutted because they removed the initial tick of SS, which was an extremely suspicious move given it was just a month before Legion’s announcement.

Here’s my anecdotal experience from that patch: all the Hunters in my guild preferred BM and SV over MM but it was just not at all viable to play them. MM was just too crucial to a raid’s success. Our guild didn’t even attempt Gorefiend mythic when I wasn’t there that day because my priority add burst was so utterly necessary to kill it. There’s not a chance we could have killed the boss if I played SV instead.

Honestly, as someone who played mostly SV between WotLK launch and WoD, 6.2 was the only patch where I felt I couldn’t play it. In every other patch I could bring it into raid and not be too bad. In fact I did just that for most of them.

Like I said at the start it’s not right to just assume that because it wasn’t meta in that patch it’s “troll tier garbage”. Strictly speaking BM outperformed SV in Siege of Orgrimmar yet there were quite a lot more SV players. Hell, look at BM and SV right now: both are viable and MM’s actually better in a lot of the fights yet by far most are playing BM. It’s not always like HFC where there’s one clear best and the other two are garbage. In fact usually it’s not like that.

I do agree that SV wasn’t as good in BGs as a lot of people remember. It tended to be good in battlegrounds and when there was a skill gap but in cutting edge rated arena it wasn’t great (when you think about it this describes MM right now). The main barrier is that its DoTs especially Black Arrow could be dispelled, ruining its damage. This is why it suddenly got very good in WoD (and it fact it remained very popular right up until the 7.0 patch in PvP); Black Arrow got dispel protection and Serpent Sting was auto-applied by Arcane Shot.

Obviously this is a bad take because the premise is false. SV has not always been a poorly-performing, unpopular spec. You’re used to the post-Legion reality (+ 6.2 immediately following it) and you assume it was always like that. But it wasn’t.

This isn’t just some “Survival curse”. Ranged SV and melee SV were totally different specs with little in common so it doesn’t make sense to say that it’s just a “Survival issue”. Yes it’s hard to make a 3rd spec consistently relevant in a pure DPS class. But that’s what we had for quite a few years.

That’s why people like me are so upset with melee Survival. Because in fact they took something that was formerly pretty popular and widely-enjoyed and turned it into a largely unwelcome niche spec that just acts as a black hole for time and attention while generating mostly just controversy and bitterness. It’s not about “refusing change”. I was supportive of just about every change to the Hunter class up until WoD. It’s just refusing bad changes. Because as a matter of fact, while changes aren’t automatically bad, they aren’t automatically good either.

“Weakest thematic” is subjective. I would say MM is much more bare thematically and has been for most of its life. SV had a really cool theme of resourcefulness and opportunism with exotic munitions and utility.

In any case I don’t like this defense of the decision with “taking a chance”. Blizzard likes this sort of “don’t knock it 'till you try it” attitude but the tough reality is that some ideas are so obviously bad they aren’t worth trying and this was one of them.

This would be a bad decision IMO. It would detract from Hunter’s uniqueness, potentially upset a lot of existing Rogues who came to the class for melee combat, and it would cause tremendous balancing issues in that class. In all likelihood that ranged spec would be the best by default simply for being ranged unless they tuned the melee specs a lot higher. So the most likely outcomes for Rogues are either a) finding their formerly melee class suddenly dominated by a ranged spec or b) having that ranged spec be tuned down hard most of the time just to prevent the first outcome.

We already saw with Druids and Shamans that mixing melee and ranged in one class is a huge design and tuning challenge. It was very foolish to entertain bringing that situation into any other class in addition.

Not sure if you’re including ranged SV here so I have to add: this wasn’t true for ranged SV. It was true for some specific patches but the other specs also had times where they were in the dumps. SV wasn’t usually unpopular until melee SV.

5 Likes

Something else to consider is percentage difference between all ranged and then two range/one melee. It’s pretty stark.

Absolutely.

As someone who enjoys the thematic space added in the Outlaw rework, that’s of course going to be a hard sell for me, but more than that, as with melee Survival before, I have to think that so severe a rework isn’t going to cost much, if any, less than a 4th spec, in which case… why not just position such as a 4th spec? With the changes to Sub (into shadowninjaboi) and Assassination (coating whole rooms in blood because that’s somehow the most efficient way to kill people?) in Legion, it wouldn’t have taken much for Combat to have differentiated itself. A Deadeye spec for Rogue could easily have been added later, much like a Pursuit spec for Hunter then or a Munitions spec now, to increase thematic range later if they thought player-favorite class aesthetics were nonetheless missing out potential player-favorite spec play.

P.S. When Outlaw was first announced, before I had seen any of its new abilities or that it was PirateRogueArr, my mind did jump very quickly to Torchlight II’s Outlander, which would have been kind of a Survival / Spec Ops Rogue hybrid.

The sample domain there was BC to WoD (i.e., specifically RSV and ignoring the far too wasteful/fledgling state that was Classic SV). And you’ll note I never said that it was an unpopular spec relative to every spec in the game. I merely pointed out that it was, over time…

When asked why DHs only have 2 specs, Blizzard went on the record to say, they wish they didnt make some classes 3 DPS specs (mostly hinting at hunters and rogues, maybe even warlocks/mage) and if they was created today they would be similiar to DHs with only 2.

Im not saying i agree with that, but because this is their reasoning weather its for balancing purposes or thematic consistency or whatever, this is the stance they have taken. It continues with evokers only having 2 specs despite the black dragonflight being an obvious under-utilized aspect of the class and a tank spec is what everyone is begging blizzard for.

If blizzard had to make hunters today, going by their modern new class design philosophy, survival or MM probably would of been scrapped entirely and not even exist. Outlaw/combat would be in a similiar situation. Its not a wide stretch to say these specs exist for legacy reasons today.

So being realistic, I dont think we will ever see another new class that features 2+ dps specs, and we for sure wont see a class that ever has 4 dps specs.

Man, you and me both. I don’t think it’s necessarily the best choice, but it could have worked. Like a Special Ops kinda deal? The elimination of simultaneous ranged and melee weapon slots is killing possibilities, imho. I also would love love love a pistols akimbo, or one-pistol-one-sword setup.

Ultimately, though, that warrant breaks down with even just the addition of any new classes, as specs on new classes will add just as much (more, really, pound for pound) stress to balancing. Moreover, a first spec of any given new class is of course going to be vastly, vastly more expensive to develop than an additional spec of an already existent role of an already existent class.

The point of interest to me is the efficiency in meeting a particular strike zone. If someone loves the aesthetic of a Hunter but just doesn’t care for BM’s pet focus or zookeeping or Frenzy upkeep (or just finds there to be little that can be layered atop that) and doesn’t care for the hard casts on MM and doesn’t want to go melee, that’s a much easier fix than “I’ve got a need for speed that only a low-cooldown damaging dash can fix, and only if it comes with wings!”

Now, the second may add an enjoyable experience for a larger group of otherwise unsatisfied players than the first, but it’s also far more costly.

If not for the excuse to wag about additional customization options and “new class” and “new race” (though one and the same in this case) each being so much easier a sales soundbite than “new specs,” I have to wonder if we’d have gotten Evoker at all over, say, a 4th spec each for Warlock (as once fabled to be in consideration, iirc), Hunter, and maybe Rogue, which would collectively still have cost probably far less than those two specs of Evoker even if they hadn’t involved a new race or new tech.

:: Full Disclosure: I was also a fan of the original DK design paradigm in which each spec could do everything, just with different perks and niches. I’d have loved to see a BM Hunter be able to tank mild to moderate content, for instance, with an appropriate selection of talents, or for a Combat Rogue to co-tank/ghost-tank (in place of the frequent CC utility so available to Subtlety CheapShotDance and Assassination Mass-Garrote, etc.), or for Outlaw to be able to go dual-swords with zero pistol use or sword-and-gun or akimbo.

Ill be more specific. ALL 3 specs played almost exactly the same even at the height of survivals glory days in cata.

You pressed SS once and had it auto refresh either cobra shot (bm/surv) or chimera shot (MM)
You pressed your spec primary off cd. Chimera shot, Explosive Shot,Focus Fire
You pressed your spec filler off cd. Kill command, Black arrow, aimed shot(if instant pref)
You pressed your class filler if the above are on cd/not available. Steadyshot/Cobra shot, and Arcane shot.

Yes each spec has small nuances overtime (like staggering explosive shots or not clipping focus fire with BW) but the general gameplay pattern idea was pretty much the same. This isnt revistion history at all. Hunters specs didnt get wildly different until WoD where it was pretty much disliked.

No im not making this assumption that its bad, Im saying when its bad, its bad. Survival was garbage all of classic, C tier-support niche garbage in TBC, hard outscaled in Wotlk past naxx which was the majority of the expansion. When its not garbage and actually decently balance against the other specs, such as in MoP/early WoD, I said as much.

People only played survival on fights where there was pet pathing issues, BM was the most popular consistently through mop. MM lacked cleave making it the least popular but ST wise they was pretty close all expansion.

I went off memory at first, but unless theres an error the warcraft logs for highmaul show this isnt true. Survival was popular in PvP by a large margin at the time due to being overpowered as hell, but in raiding it was the least popular hunter spec for normal, heroic, and mythic. Again Im not entirely sure if this is accurate since I thought WW monks was way better at the time, but I could be wrong.

No but its right to assume when a spec is only being played when its overpowered, its not a very popular spec in terms of fun. BM has seen its ups and down, but its consistently the most popular spec for hunters

Antorus is the best ancedote for this. BM was one of the worst performing specs dps wise in the entire game at the time but it was still top 3 for most played even when MM significantly outperformed it. Same was true for ToS. In nighthold when it still did respectable damage, it was only played less than havoc DH which was the new kid on the block. People love BM.

And this was the same for expansions prior to legion. BM even when it isnt the best spec or even when its an objectively terrible spec, is still extremely popular from low end content players to competitive ones regardless of its current patch strength.

Thats not true for survival. When survival is in the dumps, or even when on even playing field, those who are not its diehard enthusiast are not clamoring to play survival as a main or even as an alt. Only when its the absolute best spec like most of cata, or when pet pathing issues on certain fights prevent them from playing BM.

On PvP, MM was consistnetly the competitive hunter spec due to silencing shot until MoP where BM was giga OP with stampede meta, and once that was nerfed, MM went back to being the primary PvP spec. Survival was never “the” spec until WoD S1.

People like you are are the reason it generates mostly controvery and bitterness because you, the small subsection of RSV fans,cant let the current MSV fans just be happy.

This is me speaking as someone who liked RSV. I enjoy pet classes and played HLS back in mop with an IRL friend to get my first 2200 rating and elite set as survival only. Survival has always been unpopular. If it wasnt due to pre wotlk it was actually terrible dps, its because people just generally didnt like it. Making it melee didnt change that positively or negatively.

The first iteration of MSV was objectively bad because because it was actually badly designed. The spec has terrible cohesion and the mastery actively made it worse. It was a bunch of plate spinning buff maintence stuff and tight windows that made it generally unfun.

BFA rework #2 fixed most of the glaring issues and made it a much more fun spec. Does it still have issues? ofc. They took flanking strike which was thematically super cool and replaced it with kill command. Giant L. They removed a ton of fun abilities like caltrops and throwing axe but kept steel trap. Talent balance in SL+ BFA is extremely poor with really only one choice between BoP and WFI.

It wasnt bad because its melee. Thats what you dont understand. RSV for most of its life suffered this same fate. It was legitimately poorly designed, especially pre wotlk.

Truth is not a democracy and the truth is combat lacked an identity and defining playstyle. Which is why they went so heavy on the pirate theme. Some people were incredibly upset at just that aswell. The spec was still melee but they heavily disliked the change from something super boring and lame to something distinct and different because they hated pirates or whatever

People will cry no matter what and letting it be an inhibiting factor to make changes is silly.

Its really not a huge design and tunning challenge. Blizzard secured enh’s special bonus niche in shadowlands with WFT. Ele and Enh have seen almost equal performance all of shadowlands, and equal representation as far as raids are concerned.

You can apply this same change to feral and survival, give them a small bonus, and have them be closely balance the same way enh/ele are.

6 Likes

Honestly this is a huge stretch but my mind immediately thought a perfect chance to implement a red mage-like from FFXIV.

I envisioned a pirate/swashbuckler who uses primarily a gun/crossbow at range, then grappling hooks into the fray to finish enemies off in melee with its cutlass/dagger like as a dps cooldown , then jumps back to range

Raiders/pvper/m+ have never made up more than 40% of max level character participation. The entire reason why bm is consistently a top played spec is because people who don’t do high end content love it. Rsv used to also have a good chunk of players playing regardless of tuning (6.2 being the exception because if my memory serves, rsv was competing with tanks on the damage charts for that patch). The last time we were able as players to look up the accurate spec population info was s1 of shadowlands, and msv had a whopping 6% of all hunters at max level with a covenant selected. Rsv never saw rep numbers this low outside of 6.2 and maybe prior to wotlk when they didn’t have the explosive shot lnl gameplay loop.

1 Like

It’s a similar template, but these are not identical playstyles.

The common elements were a casted focus generator, Multi-Shot (buffed in different ways by each spec), Kill Shot, a signature, and then a spec-specific mechanic. So there was a general mould for each Hunter spec but they absolutely created appreciably different playstyles. On top of that each spec had passive effects that changed how they were approached. For example Survival had many powerful bonuses to trapping while MM had Careful Aim for sniping high-health targets.

No they weren’t as different as they were after Legion. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s part of being the same class. In fact you could argue that BM and MM are working in a similar way now; they have a similar template they’re building on. Specs aren’t meant to be totally separate micro-classes with little in common. They’re also not meant to be identical. Hunters from Cata and MoP were actually a pretty good middle ground. Could it have been improved? Sure, and they were working towards that in WoD. Serpent Sting, for example, was Survival specific in WoD. But the class design of Cata and MoP was much preferable to Legion and afterwards. This is a big part of why there’s so much reminiscing of class design from that era and so much dissatisfaction with class design now to the point where they explicitly undid a lot of Legion’s prunings in Shadowlands.

You say that in X patch BM was a head therefore everyone played BM and hardly anyone continued with SV. That’s just not how it usually worked. You’re applying your understanding of patch 6.2, an unusual situation where one of the specs was far ahead of the others, and assuming every patch was like that. In fact usually there’s a couple specs close to one another with the 3rd falling behind, or sometimes all 3 were serviceable.

For example, here again you say SV was “hard outscaled” by MM in ICC. Do you actually know the margin? Because it’s really not huge. SV was a popular choice in ICC. Not as popular as MM, but certainly a lot more represented by BM which was actually pretty bad at the time. SV remains a popular choice in WotLK private servers to this day, and it will undoubtedly be a popular choice in the last phase of WotLK classic. Because as it turns out there are appreciable differences in the playstyle and identity even that early on and some people just prefer Survival.

A source from the time: I can’t say how accurate this is because it’s an ancient fragment from 2010 and it’s also doing it by armoury population of level 80s instead of raid participation but here is a post with data from early ICC (before the whole instance was available) showing SV was still the most played Hunter spec. It’s also very easy to find plentiful SV PoVs from ICC raids from the time.

This really isn’t true. SV was a very popular spec. BM was definitely ahead at times numerically and according to a source I found it was at least ahead of SV a bit in terms of representation, but for most of that expansion SV was the spec of choice.

Sources:

• Worldofwargraphs still had some data from the time when it was running, from around patch 5.3’s release onwards, so it gets all of patch 5.4 (Siege of Orgrimmar). BM was ahead early on, SV for the rest of the patch which lasted a whole year.
  • Cynwise blog which includes some older Worldofwargraphs data (back to 4.3). I think it’s only including 1 data point per patch which sucks because it doesn’t tell us how it changed throughout a tier, but we can see SV had high popularity earlier in MoP too. BM was ahead in 5.2 but SV was ahead for the other patches.
  • Stormforge logs. This is a current private server so the numbers can be skewed by a few factors. It’s up to 5.2 content but with 5.4 patch balancing. Survival is by far the most represented spec, however I suspect Survival’s popularity is elevated by people specifically wanting to experience a spec that you can’t any more.

Hint: check the date range on Warcraftlogs.

By default it shows the last 2 weeks, and Highmaul is considered in the same tier as Blackrock Foundry. So you’re looking at data for Highmaul that’s from months after the raid was current, long after everyone has their tier sets and is playing BM, and people are moving to MM on the eve of 6.2.

To see weekly spec data you have to set it to “Going back the entire tier” and then go to the specific spec like this. If you look at the timeline there you can see in January and February SV was by far the most played spec, not just in the class but actually the entire game. To be fair SV was pretty well off in Highmaul after the December hotfixes. Immediately on WoD launches BM and SV were in pretty bad states due to tuning messups after the number squish but they got hotfix buffs pretty quickly.

SV as a ranged spec saw plenty of play even when it wasn’t overpowered. It only saw little play when it was drastically underpowered like in 6.2.

That’s only true for melee SV. Ranged SV did not need to be overpowered to see play. I know you’re trying hard to argue the contrary but it just isn’t true.

Up until 6.2 no one would have sincerely called SV an unpopular spec. If you look at videos from the time there’s no talk of SV being unpopular until after 6.2, or perhaps all the way back in Classic.

Firstly, do you think it’s really just a few others here and I who have had grievances about SV not being ranged any more?

Secondly, we weren’t allowed to just be happy with ranged SV so I really don’t care for melee SV sensibilities. That’s demanding a level of respect and consideration that wasn’t afforded to us.

Blizzard created the controversy. It’s their fault. Not the people voicing their genuine grievances.

I’ve tried to be more restrained here than usual because you seemed to make a genuine effort to look at how SV faired in each tier in the past but this is a dishonest statement and I think you know that. To pretend that making SV melee did not affect the long-term population of the spec is fantasy. No one saw SV as a niche spec until Legion. Until Legion’s announcement it was a usually popular spec with a short-term blip that was 6.2 (released only about a month before Legion’s announcement, mind you).

Making it melee forever cemented it as a niche spec. Before that this was not the case.

Nope. I’m not going to be gaslit because I played throughout that whole time. RSV was very well designed, and it had wide appeal. Meanwhile MSV is poorly designed; less so after BFA now that it has a half-decent playstyle, but the spec still has glaring issues and most of them have the melee rework as the underlying cause. There’s no polishing this turd and covering over it with excessively high damage tuning is not the answer. The spec shouldn’t have been made melee and it shouldn’t remain melee. It’s nothing but a negative influence.

I don’t pretend to know much about Rogues, but it doesn’t seem like the yearning for Combat is anywhere close to that of ranged SV. Also in this instance do note that they made a supposedly distinct spec without having to change the spec’s role as a melee DPS.

It’s also important to not dismiss any and all criticism and walk into obvious design mistakes because “people will cry no matter what”. Sometimes the complaints are fully valid.

That’s just Shamans, and that’s just Shadowlands. Keeping the melee specs relevant while not invalidating the ranged option is an ever-present challenge.

It’s even worse for Hunters because there SV is up against 2 ranged specs in a playerbase full of people expecting ranged playstyles.

Even this isn’t true. Viewing SV as always being the least popular option is a post-Legion reality.

Picture patch 6.1, around February and March 2015. The game was just 11 years old. SV had been pretty consistently popular since WotLK prepatch, about 6 and a half years before that point. That’s over half the game’s lifespan. There wasn’t any knowledge of SV being gutted later that year or SV being remade into a melee spec (even though Blizzard was certainly working on it at that time).

No one saw SV as an unpopular spec. Even after 6.2’s release which screwed the spec over on many fronts, that didn’t change the fact that up until that point it had seen fairly consistent popularity. In fact MM was arguably the more consistently unpopular one.

Now because of melee SV (and yes it really is because of the melee) people see it as consistently unpopular and they erroneously project that understanding into the past. But that’s just hindsight.

1 Like

Im not interested honestly in writing severeal long post back and forth knowing your viewpoint isnt going to change because of it. Everyone whos ever been read these forums knows how you feel about survival because you make it known every chance you get.

So lets just say the past performance and popularity is irrelevant for a second and address the big boy point.

Do you honestly, fully, and soundly believe RSV will ever return?

Do you honestly, fully, and soundly believe blizzard will create a 4th dps spec in a class that has 3 dps specs?

Do you honestly, fully, and soundly believe any amount of complaining and campaigning, is going to change blizzards mind on this?

If you truly answer yes to any of these questions, then you are on an unhealthy amount of copium. If you answer no, whats the point dude?

4 Likes

Do you think it was a sound business decision to delete a popular spec to replace it with a spec they knew was going to have low representation? FFXIV did a rework to machinist and bard, then undid those changes because they were massively unpopular with the players of those classes. Msv will continue to have less than 10% of the hunter as long as it remains melee, not even having the highest aoe damage of any melee in the game was enough to get sv to have more players than either bm or mm.

1 Like

Literally everyone and their mom was Survival. Seeing MM was like encountering Bigfoot. And lets be real, people typically like playing BM for the pokemon aspect of the spec, and its usually casual hunter alts

2 Likes

My opinion does not matter. The fact is that it happened.

I think it goes without saying, but blzzard is not SE. Ion is not YoshiP. This is a pointless comparison because they operate their games very differently.

Answer my question please.

yes to the first question, no to the second question, yes to the 3rd. I think its much more likely that blizzard will simply be ok with telling msv players to take a hike since they were willing to do it to rsv players, and it’s un-debatable that rsv had more players than msv. I think wotlk will show, especially in the later tiers when mm outscales rsv, that rsv doesn’t need to be grossly overtuned in order to have decent representation. (edit because i had my answers to 2 and 3 backwards)

1 Like

I will say this again, because its already coming true. When HUNTERS are release, and ALL 3 SPECS are a hot mess, and do not play well, come back to threads like this. In Beta forum and here. Threads that derail from issues, gameplay and instead go back to a decision made by BLIZZARD 7 years ago, and yet still go on because the FEW here in the forums ae not happy.

Instead of reading about fixes, the dev’s get a chance to look at you tube vids of people who basically live off clicks. Like they are industry experts. Wow I guess though that is the way of things now days. So when our CLASS does not compete, remember what was discussed in the BETA and ALPHA and PTR about our class. then quit or play, its your choice.

3 Likes

I dunno, I’ve never found what’s said on these forums to be overly influential to the devs. They’re going to do what they’re going to do reguardless.

Playing with DF Surv, makes me wonder if they’re planning to scrap it though. They gave it an OP moment in the sun and transition to the dumps with the next big change. Wouldn’t be the first time Blizzard has used such a playbook.

1 Like

No, we are all still functioning under that first real rework for each. They have not been reverted despite complaints. Only a single, badly programmed ability was removed for each because the devs couldn’t be bothered to fix how stances with a CD work in that game (by locking you into the stance for the set time instead of putting a cooldown on toggling back into that stance).

Spare us the “it’s possible because somewhere out there the grass is greener” if you’re going to point at a desert.

A single ability that had slightly too long a cooldown and locked in (as per Cleric Stance) instead of restricting re-use (as per Enochian, Blood of the Dragon, or any other cooldown not effectively just bugged by gating a buff’s removal behind its cooldown) does not a rework make. Especially when considering how little damage was actually lost to playing mobilely in “sniper stance” and that optimal play actually weaved both it and “default stance”. It was an “era-defining ability” only to those who did not understand how to use it. If not for a single programming oversight they refused to register and initial ridiculous levels of “Heh, why not?” stupidity like putting a 3-second cast time on damn stance change itself, Heavensward’s Wanderer’s Minuet and Gauss Barrel would have been fine. More importantly, though, never did they make an altogether differently functioning job (class). The reworks made in Shadowbringers for MCH and redesign trends that started earlier but fully completed/cemented themselves only in Endwalker for Bard, however, did.

Changing Physical Ranged’s support from a throughput-cost-of-use to a permanent tax and gating previously always available options behind 2-minute CDs and then removing them completely is a far more significant change. We are still operating under that change. Likewise, removing literally every unique mechanic from Machinist (such as the 50% chance each of unlocking the further empowered shot with those then being bankable, with abilities allowing you to aetherize 1 or many next shots to guarantee proc’s while avoiding use on the non-proccing maintenance skills while ammo is active) with yet another forced 1-2-3 combo and a skill that breaks Haste (“Skill Speed”) scaling to double down on the game’s ping issues is a far more significant change. And we are still functioning under that all-depth removed (just 1-2-3 while hitting CDs as they come up being literally optimal) for Machinist today. Removing all DoT interactions from Bard and setting even its personal gameplay-affecting songs on long (90s) CDs is likewise the actual rework, and we’re still operating under them.

Both had reworks, though you’ve been badly misinformed as to when those were (they were actual overhauls, or prunings of most mechanics from either job). Both jobs were worsened by them. Both reworks remain despite complaints.

:: The public-facing elements of the XIV devs are, btw, no less “We know best,” cherry picking of feedback, dramatic about what few changes they do make expansions after their requests, and frequently passive-aggressive with their playerbase when it comes to combat (as per the response to “‘Healing’ is 90% spamming your filler attack…” being “Go play the 3 hardest fights in the game” (Ultimate, where once optimized, even when solo-healing, you will still spam your basic attack most of the time).

I never have understood the bomb thing. Ive hunted for 45 years now. I never used a bomb, lol.
I agree. Its like they tossed a bunch of unused abilities together and SV is what they called it.

3 Likes

Then you’re entirely delusional. Melee Survival is now 8 years through 4 expansions with Ranged Survival having 10 years through 5 expansions; Classic WoW is completely irrelevant since it was quite literally “anything goes”.

There is a 0% chance Blizzard will revert Melee Survival when their artifact weapon is a melee weapon. You honestly believe Blizzard will throw that away when they’ve put in actual development time to ensure everyone can properly transmog their artifact appearances onto valid weapon types? Just going to delete the entirety of one spec’s artifact weapon appearances?

The “completely revert Survival to ranged” ship sailed in 8.0 when they didn’t do it and again in 9.0 when they added back 2h Frost, SMF Fury, and 2h WW and again didn’t touch Survival.

6 Likes