Renown catchup?

So, i noticed last week, when I hit level 60 on a character, that callings rewarded the Renown i had missed the first week. Essentially, despite th at character not earning any renown week 1, the week 2 callings gave me renown until i was caught up.

But now, I’ve hit 60 on another character, and callings are no longer giving me renown, leaving me behind.

Does anyone know what is causing this? A m I missing some quest or requirement to trigger it?

There have been posts about this on both the bug forum and in general discussion (I’ve been following this issue since I do a lot of alt stuff). Without a blue answer (not the kind we can get here, most likely need a dev) we don’t know if this is a bug or if the catchup mechanism is supposed to have some RNG to it. Hopefully they’ll either fix it or issue a statement at some point.

The best I can do is point you to some resources. This is from Wowhead:

This was posted on our site:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23463732/shadowlands-preview-a-look-at-covenant-systems

Specifically:

Note: If you fall behind or are leveling an alternate character, you’ll be able to earn additional Renown from endgame activities such as dungeons, raids, PvP, and Callings until you’ve reached the current maximum.

1 Like

OP, this right here is the part that we don’t know about. Rewards from these activities seem inconsistent for folks who have fallen behind. I’ve seen reports of drops from PVP victories, end dungeon bosses, and calling caches, but none of it with any certainty. Some people run two dungeons and get it, some run ten and never see it, same with the other ways of ‘catch up’.

1 Like

That’s the annoying thing, just not knowing.

1 Like

I have not yet seen this in effect yet either. I am still at renown 6 so far this week. I changed covenants on Sunday, so didn’t catch up completely from last week either.

I have done a couple M+, BGs/Skirmishes, and raid bosses and have not earned any further renown from the content.

1 Like

Oddly enough I logged in today and was at 7 renown. No notification of an increase or anything. So not sure what happened. (This is Frej. Forum defaulted to some alt instead of my main)

I have leveled 3 alts through the cov questline without problems and 1 alt which is now stuck at renown 15 nothing I do will get him renown. It appears that the weekly anima and souls quests from the cov are the culprit. If you complete those quests you wont receive renown from callings or dungeons etc. I watched as my cov calling quest (which was complete and offered renown ) change and offer no renown right as i picked up the last bit of anima i needed for my weekly.

My suggestion if you are trying to do the cov questline on an alt … pick up the weekly anima and souls quests but DO NOT complete them. Do the cov questline till it tells you to progress to higher renown AND THEN do a calling or dungeon etc just for the renown you need for next part of story. Save your weekly anima and souls quests for the very last … in fact … once you complete the cov story you can then abandon the souls quest and retake it and it will offer 10 instead of 5.

1 Like

Ive leveled two alts and have had similar experience, As long as I did not complete anima and soul weekly quests i was picking up random renown from other sources including killing the weekly world boss. At which point id finish the other two weekly renown quests. I’m not sure if this is an intended method to be locked out of extra renown once you complete those 2 quests or not but it was frustrating, I just found it easier not to turn those in until close to weekly reset as to maximize renown chances to catch up. That is whats worked for me anyways.

1 Like

If you think you have found a bug, then you need to post it on the Bug Report Forum.

Well they’re ignoring this issue on every forum. So I’ll post here too, as I have in other sections of the forum. RENOWN IS BUGGED. 3 days of doing activities almost all day and getting 0 renown after switching covenants. Just stuck. Was 24 with main covenant, can’t get past 6 after the switch…

Not sure how you can tell when someone has read a post and started looking into it internally? The posts in the Bug Report forums are rarely responded to unless more details are needed as they’re working on resolving said bugs.

Proof that they’re not ignoring issues with Renown would be that they did identify an issue and pushed out a hotfix recently. But that doesn’t mean that there couldn’t still be lingering issues.

That’s why it is so important to post in the Bug Report forums with any specifics you can so that they can find and squash bugs like this :wink:

2 Likes

An issue was discovered where some characters weren’t be given the proper catch up rewards.

Clearly not. Just because you say you hotfixed it, doesn’t mean anything is fixed.

You know how I can tell no one cares about this bug? Because it has been around for weeks. People switched covenants and can’t play their character for weeks because of renown. It’s something that should be fixed immediately because it is game breaking. It should be acknowledged and people should be warned before switching covenants that they may end up 20+ renown behind. Do you think I would have switched if I knew this was going to happen? No. We are told there are ‘catchup systems’ in place that are fairly easy.

They’re not working on anything. This has been the laziest xpac launch ever. There have been bugs in the game for months that are not being ‘squashed’ (like in AWC today, you could see the wonderful MC bug on full display). It’s completely unprofessional. People have been making tickets about bugs and these types of issues for weeks. Posting on forums about it. Maybe Blizzard just doesn’t care, and you don’t need to tell me where to post about it because it doesn’t actually resolve anything :wink:

1 Like

So explain all the bug fixes that have already gone in? Your hyperbole isn’t actually going to get you anywhere here.

I don’t know about “game breaking”. Inconvenient, absolutely…and does it suck? Sure! But you can still play the game, so it’s not “game breaking”.

Tickets are not required in order to report bugs and only bog-down GMs with things that they can’t help with. People should be putting in Bug Reports so that the right people are being made aware of the issues.

/sigh
So you want them to fix bugs but you don’t want to post in the right place to provide further feedback about what seems to be a clearly on-going issue. Okay. Why post at all then?

9 Likes

I did post in the right place, it just gets ignored. Other people have too. They straight up lied when they said it was fixed.

Game breaking? Yes. I can’t play high rated arena without conduits / soulbinds. That’s the game to me, so no I can’t ‘still play the game’.

Sigh all you want. I already said I posted in every possible place about this. Many have said they complained about it when they ran into the issue weeks ago. But sure condescend me and tell me what to do and where to post because you’re so confident in Blizzards ability to do things right. I didn’t really ask you in the first place.

1 Like

Well… you did post in a public, player help player forum.

Just a little tip about bugs - often an issue that is the same as what you’re experiencing can be caused by different bugs. This is why we sometimes see an issue that pops up, gets hot fixed, but suddenly the issue happens again but it’s caused by some other bug. But it seems like nothing was fixed, especially from a players point of view.

3 Likes

Often game breaking refers to those times when the game is completely unplayable, unable to load, or run.

I get what you’re saying, but my character is unplayable. To me, the game might as well not load. Maybe it would be better if it didn’t load because I wouldn’t have wasted many hours of my life farming content for renown (which apparently is impossible for my character to get).

This is true but the catch up renown is few and far between. I switched covenants and am stuck at 14 currently after much work. Was awarded one when turning in a calling one day and another day one from the last boss of a regular dungeon.

This really hasn’t been my experience. When I get an alt to 60, I’m loaded down with renown and breeze through every chapter. However…

Every time I see someone say they aren’t getting the rewards, this is the case. Switching covenants may definitely be what’s causing the catch up system to fail.

This should be added to the Bug Report Forum. The more information they have, the better they can track it down.

3 Likes