Player & Guild Housing - Why, How, Do's and Don'ts

The community have been pining for player housing more or less since the inception of the game. Other MMOs have already made great strides in player housing, and it remains conspicuously absent from WoW - garrisons don’t really count. In this thread I’d like to start a conversation about what we really want from player housing, starting with my own views!

Why Player Housing?
Aside from the garrisons, there are no real places in WoW that we can truly say are our own, and the garrisons aren’t offering us a particularly good way of expressing who we are. You might wonder what purpose player housing is meant to serve, and the answer is: practically none. You’re not meant to visit your house in order to prepare for your raid, m+ or PvP, you don’t need to stop by to collect your daily quests, you don’t need to visit it at all if you don’t want to!.. so what’s the point?

From a roleplayer’s perspective, the answer is easy: player characters have homes in-character, and we’d like to actually use them to RP in. But there are reasons to use player housing even if you aren’t a roleplayer. Maybe you just like building houses and you want to show them off to your friends! Maybe you have collected some rare and prestigious rewards and want to put them on display. And maybe you don’t want anyone to see your stuff, but you really love collecting furniture just for the sake of it! The reasons are endless.

Does player housing have to serve a purpose in current gameplay to be worth investing in? I don’t think so - but simply by adding another layer of expression and collection would already greatly improve a lot of players’ experience.

How should player housing work?
This is a little tricker to answer, but I will try my best. The three most important aspects of player housing, imo, are collection, building and display.

Collection! Furniture and other cosmetic rewards for your house should be added as rewards from various types of gameplay - quests, achievements, raid/dungeon drops, vendors (including PvP), treasures, secrets, the list goes on - and some of these rewards should come from old content, giving us yet another reason to revisit the past. Most of the assets we could use already exist in-game, and I’m sure someone on the art team would love to come up with more ideas.

Building is more complicated, as I’m not sure what the technical difficulties would be. I think to start off with you should be able to choose a location for your house - perhaps at a few select predetermined areas, such as the various cities - and then choose from a selection of different sizes. Some people might want a small house, others might want a big mansion. Maybe even allow us to add more rooms to the house as we go. Furniture and the rest should be possible to place wherever we want, much like how we place certain toys such as the pillows - except that they would stay in place permanently, until removed. Maybe we should be able to resize, rotate and recolour some elements as well!

Display! You need to be able to show off your house, and I have some conflicting ideas about this. I love the idea of houses being open to view by the public - but I think that forcing players to show their houses off wouldn’t be great either. Perhaps the option to toggle between opening it for everyone and keeping it closed off and private. But if it is public, how would one visit it, you might ask? Should we have neighbourhoods with limited real estate space?.. No! That would be horrible, everyone should have access to this feature, and gatekeeping it behind a first-come-first-serve system like that would be awful. But - neighbourhoods are a good idea. What if you could connect your house with other players to create instanced neighbourhoods? You can walk through a street, see all the houses in it, and then move on to another neighbourhood to check that out. As long as it is an optional feature, I think this would be great. There surely are people who just want to be in their house, all alone, without anyone else coming by to prod at them - and we should respect that.

So - I haven’t talked much about guild housing yet. I think guild housing should not be the first iteration of player housing, because I know that in the RP community, this will be abused by everyone so that they can all have their own houses, and this would break up guilds their associated communities. If we are to get guild houses, I would rather have them function more like class halls and garrisons than player housing - it’s less about expression, collection and such, and more of a place you and your friends gather to do cool guild stuff!

Do’s and Don’ts

• Make player housing optional, and not required as part of your other game systems. You can have a vendor in there to repair your stuff, but don’t put a bank, auction house, etc. in there. We don’t want to drag everyone away from the cities and the rest of the community, like garrisons did.
  • Bake the collection of player housing items into your reward systems to add another vector of collection into the game - but preferably add them to the pool of other rewards, so they don’t actually displace rewards like mounts, pets, etc.
  • Give people privacy, but also the option to show off their houses without having to invite others into your house. And let us have entire raids visiting if we can somehow fit them in!

These are my initial thoughts! I’m going to sample some ideas from the RP community on this topic as well, and add them later on. What are your thoughts about player housing? Anything you would do differently, any features you’d like to see? And I’d love to hear suggestions of things to put in your houses :>

292 Likes

I think this is the key.

Personally, I would like to see guild housing more than player housing, as I would like a place where I can see just my guildies hanging out, and I think something “similar” to garrisons would be effective here.

I have my own opinions about what was good and bad about garrisons, but I think that having player housing and guild halls/towns/_____ is the right way to approach this (especially if player housing is an option within these guild areas).

For someone not involved on the RP side of things, and speaking more to the guild areas than player housing in particular, I think your 3 points are still the right idea.

In guild areas I want to see mementos of our accomplishments and achievements as a guild, as well as things that point to individual accomplishments that guild members can use to show off their personal successes to the rest of the guild.

Another thing I think could be really cool for guild areas, if it could be implemented is proximity voice chat within the game. We’ve seen it in other games already, and I want to be clear that I don’t think it should extend out of guild areas, but it would be a really cool and unique system that encourages people to participate and engage in the areas.

A few other things I would like to see in guild housing are:

• Guild vendors
  • Guild bank
  • A guild wide mission table that can be used to put gold/materials in the guild bank
  • Duelling area
  • a few secrets to unlock guild wide cosmetics
  • player housing area
  • customizable area, decorations, structures, and backdrop

And by extension guild areas don’t need to have any power/need tied to them if guilds don’t want to engage in this. It should be purely optional and only if it’s wanted.

This can function alot like garrisons. Its your own area that you can invite people into if you choose to.

57 Likes

Yeah - I think this would be fine. Even if it was something more like FFXIV where it was all instanced/zoned differently and you have housing adjacent in neighborhoods or districts, you could have the ability to open your home to public/friends or not when you log in.

37 Likes

I’ve had someone in the RP community reach out with a pretty thorough document about player housing and I’ve been asked to share it along, so here it is :>

36 Likes

as long as you can burn peoples houses down in warmode it would be interesting

7 Likes

Player and Guild housing would be great for both RPers and Non-Rpers for sure. Implementing this will take a lot of work and testing.

This needs to be optional content, and not repeat the problems with the Garrison (like having too many conveniences in them making people spend most of their time there)

Having the ability to choose from various plots around the world to build your house would be great, as would choosing its theme (Goblin based, Elvish etc). Neutral plots, where Alliance and Horde houses can be built next to each other, would be pretty cool. Obviously, the plot system would need some kind of phasing / instancing in order to work as we cant have 1000s of houses in the same plot (as cool as that would be lol) but it would be great if you could have a neighbour or two.

It would be nice if you could hire guards to protect your house, and in War Mode have the ability to attack someone’s house and steal an item that you can then display with pride in your house… until they steal it back! And for those that don’t want to PVP maybe have it so every now and again a group of bandits attack your house and if you don’t have enough guards they can steal something and you are given a quest to go and get that item back.

Being able to display items of your choosing would be great, like in SWTOR for example where you can place any mount to display anywhere in your house. Displaying your favourite transmog items or sets (like in the order halls, but actually choosing which sets) would be pretty great.

Having different sized houses depending on how much time and resources you put in would also be great, like how we had ranks for the garrisons. So, if you want a basic house to just chill in you can…but if you want a full blown mansion you will need to invest some time and work into it

It will be a lot of work for Blizzard to get this working, but it will make a lot of people happy if this did go ahead. Even if it started small, and with .5 patches more things were added making it a evolving thing rather than a one and done

17 Likes

My guild would absolutely love being able to create and customize a Guild Hall. It would give us a whole new set of cosmetics to farm, and be particularly fun for our more casual players who aren’t super into mythic+ or arenas, but want to contribute in some way. I think they would be super excited to be able to collect cosmetic stuff for benefit of the whole guild.

The one thing I’d like to avoid is having limited housing plots where you have to camp them 24/7 to get a spot. Much better to have it instanced and available to all.

19 Likes

Same with mine. Would be a blast to have mementos of the bosses we’ve killed or achievements we’ve obtained etc, and to have a place we can all meet up

17 Likes

I think having a Guild Hall and player housing would be wonderful additions. My only concern is if there is any chance of falling into the same trap that we did back in Warlords of Draenor with the Garrison. A guild hall and/or player housing should be a place to talk to friends, make some interior (or even exterior) cosmetic changes. It should have optional content to do for players that may need a break from competitive gameplay or for casual players that like to do less competitive gameplay. It doesn’t have to be a catch all for just one player type, it could work for anyone that enjoys World of Warcraft as a whole.

I was reading in the General forum about player housing and I thought someone had a really good idea. You could introduce a new profession, sort of like a Carpenter/Woodcutter to make use of gathering logs and other materials throughout the game world. You could introduce items to the existing other professions to breathe some life back into them.

The thread in question is:

Player housing and Guild Halls has been a requested and wanted feature for as long as I can remember. I’m not sure about how technically difficult it would be to make something like this happen, but I think it could work if done properly.

I just wouldn’t want any sort of player progression tied to player housing/guild hall. It should be a place you want to optionally go, not somewhere you feel like you have to. If that happens, then it will start to feel like a chore. I remember doing the Garrison on numerous alts to farm gold. I burned myself out doing that for a long time. Many will draw similarities in what the Garrison tried to do and equate it to player housing. I don’t feel that way. I feel that player housing should not have any benefits to player progression.

There’s tons of different activities you can add for players to do that is purely cosmetic in nature. You can have them do activities to unlock cosmetic rewards for their home/guild hall.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind to have a new place to hang my hat.

18 Likes

1000%.

The appeal needs to be all cosmetic. Adding an herb garden, mine, or fishing hole would be a huge mistake. Having access to a guild bank, auction, and personal bank would be great thought.

But please, if this is implemented, 100% optional content. 0 player power.

19 Likes

Having access to your guild bank and regular bank access sounds good to me. Even more so if it’s the route of a Guild Hall that they do (if they do) decide to do one over the other.

I’m not sure how I would feel about access to an auction house though. I remember Kaivax stating that Blizzard didn’t want Brutosaur mounts to be as plentiful as the repair mounts we see every where, which was one of the reasons they removed it off the vendors just as Shadowlands released. So, I don’t know if giving more access to an auction house outside of cities is something they’re willing to do.

No player progression should ever be tied to it. I remember getting some raid gear just by doing missions in my Garrison in WoD, took very little effort. So, definitely never again.

There are definitely many avenues that Blizzard could explore for players to do in order to unlock new cosmetics, furniture, trophies and many other things. Completing them isn’t mandatory, as no player power or progression is tied to them, but at the same time, it gives the player (us) something meaningful to do.

I love doing side activities in WoW, personally. I love Battle Pets. It doesn’t make my character stronger, but it’s fun for me. Player housing can easily have that same benefit as many of the other side and optional activities in WoW.

I realize that many people look forward to the new raids, M+ dungeons, arenas, battlegrounds, but casual players want something new to sink their teeth into as well!

16 Likes

I’ve said before in this thread:

Honestly, player housing is not a system I would partake in without some sort of incentive. I did garrisons out of necessity, not because I enjoyed them.

My guild is my WoW family. They’re the people I want to make guild housing with.

Fair points about the Auction, maybe it’s not the best idea. But its just an idea.

Here’s a thought though, what if you gained rested XP at a slightly faster rate when resting in a guild housing area? 0 effect on end game progression, but makes alts / catchup slightly easier. (you could disable the effect for the first month of an expansion if there is concern about abusing it to get to max level too quickly off launch)

Also, hopefully we can bring back more guild achievements and levels. Levelling up a guild was fun, and I’d be happy to see that system come back - again with no player power involved.

11 Likes

Same, I would much prefer a Guild Hall to player housing. It would be nice if the guild hall had personal rooms for each of us that we could decorate and invite our friends into, but what we really want is a Guild Hall that would be a collective guild project to upgrade and decorate and a place for us to hang out together.

8 Likes

If it came down to committing development resources to housing or some other similarly major development initiative I would prefer the resources be spent elsewhere.

I know there is a demographic for this type of feature, personally it doesn’t really float my boat that much.

4 Likes

I think that if we get guild housing before we get player housing, the demographic that wants player housing might start to splinter into a million guilds in order to create a facsimile of ‘player’ housing - depending a bit on how exactly the system is created. If it’s Garrisons 2.0 in terms of layout, then probably not, but if it allows you to get more creative and choose furniture or even style or location, you can bet that players will do that. And I think none of us really want that. Why not add both while they’re first at it.

16 Likes

So player housing has been confirmed to not be in the works for Dragonflight (which I do not think is a big surprise, given that they’ve been working on it for years already) but it has been confirmed that this is something that’s been talked about. I am kind of glad that they’re taking this seriously enough not to rush out a half-baked version of it for Dragonflight, and I am at least optimistic about the future of player housing in WoW :>

4 Likes