Player created War Mode fun? Anyone want to take the faction war to next level?

War Mode has seen a recent surge in Alliance world pvp interest. As such, I wanted to ask if anyone was starting to think about kicking anything into high gear lately with player created world pvp content.

It might be a foreign concept to many, but I cut my MMO teeth in 2003’s Star Wars Galaxies Bria, which was a sandbox pvp server. Everything was pretty much player created. Here’s two examples directed by officers from an ally guild named FOE from those days. I was at these player made engagements:

My guild kept up with that tradition, in other games as well. As I can’t post most screenshot page links, so I’ll just post a few youtube videos so you understand what I’m talking about. Two of which are from our guild officer and resident director, Nymph.

Here’s the Public Enemies war we were a part of in DCUO:

Here’s the GW2 Blackgate server, where we were a small guild, that worked with a war council. That sever became the first place NA champs of season one and three.

First, my guild on Blackgate :

Here’s the Blackgate server in season one, against all the other gold tier servers (Realm versus Realm versus Realm):

My point is that players can often organize to create things, as good as, or even better than what the developers can. On the older wow forums, I have seen players recently trying to recreate Southshore versus Tarren Mill from vanilla or the old TBC Halaa fights in Nagrand.

Heck, we used to do so weekly in TBC. We even had two Alliance pvp guilds hosted in our Vent to help keep up the health of world pvp on our server.

I’m also seeing player driven initiative to create player supported pvp groups like one I joined here, which has support for both sides: [⚔️] OFFICIAL Horde PVP Community (Main)

There are also new tools to make things like this easier with the new cross speech factional potion: https://www.wowhead.com/item=2460/elixir-of-tongues

I figured with all the negativity from one side or another this expansion, it might be neat to have a thread devoted to posting ideas for what to do collectively with the brand new life breathed into WOW’s World PVP. So, here goes.

What are you and your guild looking to do? What would you guys and girls like to see? Do you have any ideas for things not organized before?

Some of you have already run player created world events, so I must ask. Was War Mode server sharding helpful or did it complicate anything? Do you have any tips for those thinking about running anything?

Also, if anyone has any world pvp videos from large scale fights or events, please share below. Seeing something is often the best inspiration for people to act and organize on their own ideas.

/salute

4 Likes

The biggest problem with these is how unstable the servers have gotten, which limits group size or sacrifices playability. Trying to get something like 20v20 is impossible as trickery and sabotage is basically guaranteed. Lots of fun to go back and do the world pvp zones though, like the towers in HFP and Halaa.

3 Likes

World War Emerald Dream 2019 This is what we are up to on Emerald Dream. We are having an all server Alterac Valley wargame as well as constant wpvp and planned battles.

I agree player created content is awesome!

5 Likes

Definitely server issues once you get more than 20 people together to fight another 20

1 Like

Can WRA guilds get in on these festivities??

2 Likes

I have seen some evidence of that myself, even in instanced brawls. We had some lag issues while shooting this one:

Large groups causing lag spikes isn’t too unusual across games, Star Wars Galaxies could have rubber banding or could slow to the point of being like a slideshow of paintings at some points. You’d have massive Rebel attacks that were large enough that they’d run through the sandbox placed Imperial walls of buildings that they lagged out.

This sometimes caused large scale crashing on SWG’s Bria. I’m aware that this is something that Blizzard has been known to ban over.

City of Heroes and Villains could also lag out in Recluse’s Victory with large scale groups. SWTOR did so with large scale Illum fights.

I ran across this 200 Alliance versus 300 Horde video. This would break down to 5 forty person Alliance raid groups against more than 7 forty person Horde raid groups. I would have expected this to lag out in vanilla’s lower resolution days.

With the higher possible resolution does there seem to be a new optimal size for groups? Is it something that gets more buggy above 40 vs 40? Since 8.1, I have seen groups that size in the new events without too much issue.

The new zones might have more issues due to resolution requirements. Do the older zones have less issues than the latest ones?

/salute

1 Like

I’m sorry but right now we are trying to reestablish our old in server rivalries but I’m sure if you a friend in one these guilds they can bring you along. We’ve had problems with server crashes due to off realm guilds crashing our open world 20v20s and 40v40s

2 Likes

That’s totally cool Jimirra. The positive is that we already have something listed that a server is doing. Further, it presents positive proof that communities are already doing what many might doubt.

With a little luck, more people might post server events like yours here. It might help to get the information to more members of their server that don’t read the realm forums or other areas World PVP events might be posted.

If we all put our heads together, we can get events going all over the various servers. We even might be able to arrange some custom BGs for those that might not be able to even out things on there own servers easily.

Players can find a way to make things work. No matter the issue.

/salute

1 Like

The following story may be true but I can’t attest to it as I, unfortunately, was not there. However, I saw some videos.

Many years ago, there was an alliance player named Swifty who did youtube videos. From what I understand, he arranged to have hundreds of alliance invade Orgrimmar all at the same time. I heard it was fun but Blizzard didn’t like it that the servers crashed, so they banned Swifty. Later, he was able to get an account again after a letter writing campaign by players.

Note: I was in Drustvar tonight when there were many horde doing an assault south of Arom Stand. The lag started to get bad.

It was about 4,000 to 5,000 people. That’s far more than the 200 Alliance versus 300 Horde video above.

I can confirm he’s unbanned.

Arnidan of the “World War Emerald Dream 2019” thread stated that the problems appear to currently occur around groups larger than 40 versus 40.

/salute

World War Emerald Dream

1 Like