Micro-Stuttering

Micro-stuttering in-game occurring when playing. Usually in highly populated areas of BGs. Happens multiple times and is super frustrating.

System is a 9700k
RTX 3070
16GB RAM

No issues on temps, typically in the 40-50c range for GPU/CPU tops. Memory usage sits around 70%. Charts never show dips in FPS when checking logs. No spikes anywhere, pretty sure it’s the client.

Hey there,

Make sure that you’re using DirectX 12, in System → Advanced → Graphics API. DX11 and DX11 Legacy may cause performance issues with newer hardware.

Sometimes stuttering can be addon related if you have any addons installed. Try resetting the UI and test again without any addons, that should help rule out any issues with the client itself.

I have tried and this occurs with DX11 this occurs with DX12. I have tried with and without addons.

It is the client.

1 Like

Side note, resetting the UI does nothing also during this. Restarting the game temporarily fixes the problem. It usually occurs after being in-game for a a couple minutes.

1 Like

Ah ok, gotcha! Thanks for the info.

If you suspect there may be a bug or something with the client go ahead and report it over on the #support:bug-report forums. Technical Support forums are here for troubleshooting issues and we can’t address bugs. Although I will say that I haven’t seen any widespread reports of stuttering with the WoW client, so if you have details (programs running, specific settings, ways to get the stutter to happen) that info would be useful for the bug report in order to try and reproduce the issue.

That has to be the dumbest use of a technical support forum then.

Side note:

This entire post?

Dude what?

Not a bug?

Yeah that’s what I’m trying to figure out…

I would suggest reading through that entire thread.

In addition to the original poster saying their issue was resolved, there are dozens of reported fixes for “stuttering” in that thread. Disabling hardware acceleration in the browser. Preventing Windows from auto changing wallpaper every X seconds. Resetting the UI. Etc.

This isn’t a one-size fits all issue, and generally when there’s outside influences that can cause problems (operating system, drivers, other programs, etc) this indicates it’s not the client itself causing the problem.

If you suspect that the client is the problem does that mean you aren’t interested in troubleshooting?

1 Like

Didn’t work

Did this

Was initially in DX11

Not applicable

Still occurs without having any browser open.

Hardware acceleration has been off since long ago when I had a 60hz monitor and a 144hz monitor (not the case now I have 2 144hz monitors)

I don’t

I don’t use this addon

^done everything in this list. Hell I even overclocked my GPU to see if that’d fix it.

Given that my computer has been the result of a lot of time and effort to build it, it’s fairly high end, and I spent a lot of money on it, yeah I’d like to find a fix. Please don’t ask me to report a bug when I’m literally describing a technical support issue. I’ve spent hours trying to figure it out.

Ok that’s good info. My apologies then, I thought you were not interested in troubleshooting. So if that’s not the case we can try getting to the bottom of what is causing the stuttering in your specific case.

Since you mentioned the problem does not happen initially when the game is loaded, but starts happening after a few minutes, that could indicate it’s a memory or VRAM issue, possibly a conflict with a program or service that is running in the background.

Try rebooting using Selective Startup and then test only starting WoW.

1. Press Windows Key+R.
  2. Type msconfig and press Enter.
  3. Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
  4. Select the Services tab.
  5. Check Hide all Microsoft services.
    *Note: Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.
  6. Click Disable all.
  7. Click Apply then click OK.
  8. Click Restart.

If that doesn’t help narrow down the issue lets take a look at the DXDIAG from your system.

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the direct link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

Sorry I should have came back and updated.

Hey there. So instead of turning off addons I went in to all the addons I currently did not use and deleted off all of them from the interface folder rather than disabling. Perhaps I misunderstood other posts referencing that disabling addons in game was not sufficient. In doing so I was able to resolve my problem and have not had this issue happen since.

2 Likes

Also want to apologize I for my tone. I had been rather frustrated trying to pin point this issue and lost my cool.

I am not sure which addon was causing it. I had deleted about 15 addons I wasn’t currently using.

3 Likes

has anyone found a solution because im having the same issue its mainly in 2v2 arenas i stutter hard and yet i dont in battlegrounds which is absurd to me

1 Like

ah ok so delete all my addons got it

1 Like

This will sound crazy but posting in case this helps someone. tldr; I replaced my Bluetooth mouse with a cabled version and it cleared up all my stuttering problems.

Just bought a new PC (Beelink SER7 AMD 7840HX + Radeon 780M) more than capable of running at moderate-to-high settings. But even at lowest settings I was getting crazy stuttering. Tried everything - lowest settings, downgraded to lower DirectX, redownloaded all drivers, disabled all video-driver enhancements, low-res, windowed mode, everything. Nothing worked. Task manager showed < 8% utilization, which seemed insane because the game was clearly being blocked by something. This went on for a few days. My wife said “could it be the mouse?” and I was like “no way that’s stilly, but what have I got to lose”.

Turns out my new PC doesn’t like the Bluetooth mouse I was using. There must be an incompatibility with the old version of BT that my mouse and it’s USB thumb-receiver use and the BT versions supported by the pc’s motherboard. Removed the BT thumb stick, plugged in a regular cabled mouse, and boom everything started running perfectly. No stutter, high frames on high settings.

1 Like