9.1 FPS drops, stutters, choppy

Me and 1 other in my guild get these drops. We are both running gtx 1080s but these issues started around 9.0 during 8.3 it was fine but ever since 9.0 we both lock up in raid fights and some dungeon bosses. Drops from over 100 fps to literal 1 or less for a solid 5-10 seconds until it slowly builds back up. Denathrius was bad for this but it’s happened on most Sanctum bosses now as well. I don’t know what to do anymore.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is helpful or not but I had this same issue. Tried everything I could with graphics settings bottomed out and no addons. I got rid of deadly boss mods and started using bigwigs and haven’t had a problem since. I’m not sure why. All I know is I’m not getting hiccups anymore.

1 Like

Glad to hear I’m not the only one with this issue. I just came back within the last few weeks for 9.1 and started noticing huge FPS drops within dungeons once the boss was pulled. I thought maybe it was my imagination but when I did SoD last night my FPS dropped to 10~20 when the first boss was pulled.

Went through disabling all WAs, addons, dropping raid settings down to 1/2/3/4. DirectX 11, manually setting main GPU, monitor, pretty much everything that was already suggested here.

I did a clean install of my GPU drivers (DDU in safe mode then latest driver), re-installed WoW and still having the drops.

Main specs:
CPU: 9700K
RAM: 32GB
GPU: RTX 3800

2 Likes

Interesting post.

Have you tried to install a certified video driver by WHQL?
No worries if the driver is updated.

For anyone still having this problem, if you use Overwolf/Curseforge, try closing it out after you download/update your addons for the day. It’s unnecessary bloatware that bogs down your computer with multiple processes even if you’re not using it.

1 Like

Been getting stutters lately, most notably when trying to scroll through a list of instances in the group finder.

EDIT: Disabling raider IO addon fixed this.

Edit: Updated Addon works again.

1 Like

I was having an issue with my 6800XT where I couldn’t upgrade the drivers or I’d get a grey screen.

I fixed this by updating the vbios (video bios) through MSI’s Live Update utility. After that I was able to update drivers to current, and a great deal of the stuttering has gone away.

Keep in mind that any overlay will cause this game to stutter now including and especially discord overlay.

RTSS overlay as useful as it is will also cause it.

Having any web browser open in the background, regardless of if you have hardware acceleration turned off will cause it.

1 Like

I’ve also been having fps issues in game recently.

When doing sanctum of domination, my fps drops on most bosses from ~50-60 to ~10-25. A couple of bosses where it does not lag nearly that bad and seems fairly smooth are Eye of the Jailer and Painsmith Raznal.

I had little to no issues in Castle Nathria with the same or better settings.

I have tried:
-Setting everything to lowest settings
-Disabling Addons
-Scanning and repairing game
-Clearing cache
-Making sure drivers are up to date (they are)
-Switching to DX11
-Undoing every overclock I had on my PC (made it slightly worse in the world but no change in raid)

Nothing seems to affect the fps in the raid.

Computer specs:
CPU - Ryzen 7 1700
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 1080
RAM - 16GB 2133mhz
OS - Windows 10

2 Likes

Sounds like your CPU is getting choked out then. I think WoW will use up to four cores. The R7 1700 has 16 threads, so in your task manager, if you ever see 20-25% overall usage, while playing WoW, that means your client is pretty much 100% saturated. This can lead to delays in telling the GPU to render the frame and can produce stuttering and FPS drops.

There are also some special effects that are pretty hard on GPUs as well, which might be the case with your issues.

This solved a lot questionable performance and crashing issues that I’ve been having since 9.0.

Mostly crashes with media running in firefox ( listening to podcast ) and loading into an area.

Firefox hardware acceleration and WoW definitely do not play nice with each other.

Nice to be able to have podcasts playing in the BG again.

to all the people trying to troubleshoot this still…
Again, they have fixed this issue and then it came back after a new patch, and even have addressed this on the forums

“Update: Our engineers confirmed the bug is back and are working on fixing it again. I don’t know exactly why the previous fix was taken out - but usually when that sort of thing happens it’s because it caused an unforeseen issue and we have to temporarily remove it to tinker with it some more.”

2 Likes

So, this is on their end? Everyone is having this issue?

They really need to fix this. It is highly frustrating.

1 Like

need this fixed 2080 ti with i9 9900k cpu and getting 30 or less fps in raid with few addons is pathetic

2 Likes

I was able to turn off “Compute Effects” for volumetric fog. This doesn’t look like it had any hit on visuals and was able to significantly increase my fps in places where it normally gets low.
I also found out that you can have vsync off in game and through the control panel, and only need to limit the frames in order for tearing to stop. One caveat with that: if you have freesync or gsync, must frame limit to 2 below the refresh of your monitor.

Anything after that is the fault of the game (if you’ve checked with no addons).

1 Like

tldr: When you reset the UI per the instructions, do not copy your addons/config back in to the newly created folders from a backup or from the old folders.

Had this problem. Ended up being addons. Was experiencing the symptoms described in this thread.

Disabling addons in the interface does not remove relevant config entries so you will still experience the problem with all addons disabled.

The UI reset instructions will have you rename WTF, Interface, and Cache folders which eliminates the bad config entries.

BUT if you then restore the addons in the newly created Interface folder by copying them in from the old folder, or a backup, then it’s possible you are recreating the problem over and over again.

For years I extracted addon updates overtop of the existing, replacing the files. Doing this does not do is remove files that are no longer relevant to the addon/game and was responsible for the bad config entries causing the problems described here in this thread.

I was losing my mind on this issue. Was getting pricing new systems because I thought that some new code was switched on that rendered my old setup (i5 2500K / GTX 970) obsolete.

Hope this helps someone.

4 Likes

This is a great idea. For troubleshooting, you may need to add them back in one at a time to find which one caused an issue.

For me, I just cleaned out what I wasn’t using from my add-on manager, and then the folders the manager couldn’t see. It got rid of a whole lot I’ve accumulated over the years.

The game runs even smoother than before!

Aha! I don’t use an addon mgr. Thought I was doing a fine job, ha! For those who don’t use an addon mgr, I would get fresh download for peace of mind.

edit for comment: so glad it is running smoother for you! It does for me as well, but I didn’t want to get hopes up.

Count me in the club if random stutters. It seems to delay for at least 3-5 seconds but at random times.

I’ve got two systems, the laptop seems to do it but the desktop hasn’t done it that I know of, but I don’t use it as much as the laptop lately.

I’ve also tried updating graphics, both systems are Amd, one 3950 and 5900, with 3080 graphics in both.

I also recently reformatted the laptop thinking that might help, didn’t change anything.

So far I ha e seen it happen in dungeons, outside inside worlds. It’s so random it’s hard to pinpoint down.

There was a period last week when it started to run a bit more smoothly, but now its back to the bad stuttering and ALOT of lag (especially in Korthia/Maw and the new raid)

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten to test it out yet, but there’s a new preview build KB5004296 for Windows10 that says:

“Updates an issue that prevents power plans and Game Mode from working as expected. This results in lower frame rates and reduced performance while gaming”

Might be worth checking out.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/july-29-2021-kb5004296-os-builds-19041-1151-19042-1151-and-19043-1151-preview-6aba536a-6ed2-41cb-bc3d-3980e8693cc4