9.1 FPS drops, stutters, choppy

I go from 85-100FPS to 12-15 FPS when pulling bosses in Sanctum.
Ryzen 7 3700x
RX 5700 XT
32G Mem
wow on PCI 4.0 NVME

3 Likes

I have this exact same issue since the end of BfA, and SL 9.0. I’m currently playing 9.1 and my loading screen is now taking more than usual. It freezes in 20% -25% and once it finish after a long time, area/enviroment textures are taking too long to load, also sometimes it freezes and it send me to the reconnect screen when my internet connection is fine. There’s also a big delay when opening my in game mail because it doesn’t show the icons of every item. I’ve observed that is impossible for me to play on early mornings and on weekends because of the constant stuttering in the main cities as well and my fps drop from 90fps to 1fps or 90fps to 15fps. I’ve disabled addons, disabled vsync, triple buffering, etc, I’m playing with the lowest settings and still nothing. Hope we can hear about a solution for this issue ASAP :frowning:

3 Likes

I have issues in major cities too like oribos when i get invited to another server my frames drop from 75 to 20-10s… :frowning:

2 Likes

I have a completely new gaming system, fresh install of wow, fresh install of addons, and I still freeze when someone breaks an urn in Torghast or in the new raid. I have an RTX 3060 for a video card. I’ve dropped the graphics down to 1 and it still does it. I’m kinda floored that a serious gaming system freezes like this when breaking a damn jar. Playing on a beast of a machine and can’t see the beauty of the game because my graphics are turned down to nothing.

1 Like

Did you try without the addons first? Perhaps one of them is not suited for the patch, since they are created and maintained by third-party sources, not Blizzard.

I was able to get rid of much of the stuttering by unchecking the option “Lock cursor to window” (since I only have one monitor).

Hope this helps someone!

Also, if you haven’t tried with all addons off before posting: it’s very possible an addon is causing your issue. That being said, it’s equally possible addons are NOT causing the issue but you need to do your due diligence to make sure its not addons.

I know that hitting “disable all addons” is a pain because you have to manually go back through the list to re-enable them. There is a quick way around this if you go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\_retail_\WTF\Account\%accountname%\%realm%\%playernmame%\addons.txt

This has a list of what’s disabled and not. Before you disable all the addons, you can make a copy of this file to desktop and copy it back when you want to turn everything back on.

2 Likes

From all the forums I’ve thumbed through WoW reinstalls, beefy computers, removing add-ons, and disableing all kinds of features have no effect.

Blizz says they know what the problem is and are working on it. Those kind of statements are usually followed by dramatic drops in Support responses. Hopefully they are working on it.

Thank God there is a post about this. I was starting to think it was my computer. Tried a lot of what many of you here have tried as well, including reinstalling/updating all my addons, disabling them, putting all graphics settings to bare minimum, adjusting my monitor settings, restarting my computer, clearing my computer cache, got rid of my foreground FPS cap, checking for sufficient free HDD space, ensured my GPU drivers are the most updated, tried turning addons on/off with multiple WoW/Blizzard/PC resets, and probably some more, but no luck.

I have a pretty high-end gaming desktop. This issue just randomly began for me this morning and I’ve been playing a little bit pretty much daily since 9.1 dropped 2 weeks ago.

2 Likes

Possible Fix found or work around depending on your view point.

:thinking: Switch to DirectX 11 :thinking:

Still testing but so far the issues are gone.

1 Like

Im still experiencing some choppy game play. Its a fractional amount compared to what it was before

1 Like

I can’t even run instances because of the frequent freezes. I went through all of my hardware and add-ons. Outside of instances, my latency and FPS are fantastic on a relatively new computer. But if I zone into an instance, it’s Freeze City. So it’s not just dungeons and raids that are unplayable, but Torghast too.
If I can’t do those things, then . . . . back to being a Sims-playing-housewife for me, I reckon. :unamused:

3 Likes

I’ve found that if I’m listening to youtube (music) on another monitor I get the choppyness. If I pause the video, the issue disappears entirely. If I minimize it, or go to another tab I get significantly less but it’s still there.

Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox fixes it.

I’m guessing that Blizzard’s having issues with DX12 and contention/prioritization. In the meantime, making WoW the only thing using the graphics card, or removing hardware acceleration, seems to be a highly effective fix - for me at least.

i9 7980 XE @ 4.2GHZ, 64GB DDR4, Optane 905 primary disk (wow installed there), Win10 20H2, 1080TI x2 in SLI. Latest GeForce drivers.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say same issue here, it’s absurdly annoying, already tried disabling addons or lowering graphics, reinstalling stuff, nothing works. It seems to happen when a lot of stuff is being loaded in ram, such as when you pull a raid boss for the first time, open your map, macros or any other sort of menus, etc. Previously the game ran just fine.

GTX 1050, i5 7th gen, DDR4 RAM and M2 EVO PRO SSD.

2 Likes

Today, for me in Spires of Ascension was nearly unplayable, I’m having once again massive fps drops moving the camera in certain angles, lowered my graphics settings to (1) and still I’m having the same 30-20s fps drops from constantly (75), people in the dungeon also called that they were lagging maybe was the fps drop.
After the reset this was fixed, I’ve been having this issue since the start of Shadowlands first was only the entrance after the first boss, now is the whole dungeon. First the open map stutter bug, next was western Korthia skybox fps drop and now this again. Whats going on?

1 Like

Same here. I’m so glad I found this thread. I tried everything and couldn’t figure it out

1 Like

Found a temporary fix in the forums that helped me, hope this helps anyone too with the dungeon and some random fps drops :slight_smile: Blizz please fix this.

1 Like

Something simple…Go to System. Go to Advanced. Under Graphics API - change it to Direct 11 Legacy. See if it helps. I was having choppy graphics in raid and it fixed it.

I have a subpar laptop but i’ve never had problems with doing content, even Castle Nathria I had 60 fps. Spires i’d have like 40 but was doable. I did the Terragrue boss and I dropped to like 6 fps and that’s obviously unplayable because I cant even rotate or click my screen to move, see where to run etc. Also have problems during world bosses but those aren’t as important, i’m just concerned about SoD. Torghast is completely fine for me but i guess raiding is out of the question for me.

I don’t think that’s the case. I guess I could write a fake addon that hogs a big chunk of memory and runs a heavy CPU load on tick to test it for sure.

I think where a lot of people mess up is they forget there’s an “All” and “Per character” set of enable/disables for them.

2 Likes

My issue is when I mouse over things or move abilities around on my action bars, it causes micro stutters.

I have deleted the cache folders, deleted the WTF folders, disabled all addons, switched to DirectX Legacy 11… nothing gets rid of the issue.

I am beyond frustrated.

5 Likes