Experiences: Guradian MT scaling broken (Updated)

The mage tower scaling needs to be hotfixed. This is not your average “Mage tower too hard” post. This is supposed to be challenging and hard. However, what we have received is… something else?

Please post below your experiences, or tricks you have used to help along with the fight.

Orginal Post from launch morning:

Summary

I’ve put hours into the re-release this morning. Trying different armor sets. Using smart macros, targeting macros, interrupting macros, and specifically catering my UI/addons to this fight. I also did a bit of practice on the PTR so I knew what to expect, was able to complete it then. Phase 2 will delete you, almost all others I’ve spoken to have had the same experiences. Ones that didn’t, couldn’t get past phase 1. Those getting to phase 2, are then deleted shortly into the phase.

1st phase:
The first phase is fun and challenging. I would say doable but definitely not by the casual player. The mobs deal a lot of damage, zero forgiveness if you miss the only interrupt you have(to stop those specific mobs). You can try to run, but your defensive won’t help you survive. You must have patience and do the mechanics perfectly to pass the phase, like I said before zero forgiveness. There is no planning to use the orb for an “OMG” moment, no saving the orb to heal when needed. You must use your roar and the orb to interrupt or you will fail the phase. While you can use Typhoon to interrupt Life Drain, Skull Bash only helps 1 target.
2nd phase:
The second phase is flat-out overtuned. Mobs deal too much dmg and have too much hp, and you do not have enough defensive CDs and dmg to match it.

Update; Little over 100 tries in, getting to the end or completing phase 1 regularly

Summary

General tips from my tries:

• Don’t worry about DPS to Variss, keep Moonfire/Sunfire on him and give a trash or two when possible. The dots are enough to bring him down. However, the first phase is very long, 5 minutes or more at times. (It’s a bit ridiculous.)
  • Use a Moonfire when proc’d to 1 shot or pop two Moonfire’s on a Tormenting eye. Then move on, It will die. (Moonfire/Sunfire combo works as well, kills the eye faster)
  • Look directly at the eye and you will not be knocked back.
    *Stay in Moonkin as much as possible to get more damage out.

Interrupting Tips:

• Create a @focus/@target macro to interrupt the Drain Life.
    Here is a macro I have been using, works perfectly.
  • Use typhoon to interrupt Drain Life when possible, staying outside of the black circle to manage Aura of Decay stacks.

Netherspawn:

• Netherspawn dies just fine with Moonfire and swipes with only 1 interrupt.
  • Moonfire each one as they spawn. Thrash then Swipe when they are in a group. Use the orb, Not your roar, to interrupt them.
  • when Variss gets to lower health, you can start to prioritize saving an orb.
    The orbs will spawn every 30 seconds or so. It is helpful to drop a marker on them as they spawn, so you know what one spawns first.

Aura of Decay:

• Do not let Aura of Decay go over 5 stacks, there will be too much damage to mitigate.

Infernals:
*These will die to the dots and swipes they receive overtime.
*Don’t stand near their feet. and Stay moving laterally to them to avoid the knockback.

~~
Staring another batch of tries. I will update again later.

Update; Some Helpful macros to assist you with your attempts:

Summary

Setting Focus:

/target Inquisitor Variss
/focus

Interrupt Macro:

#showtooltip
/cast [@focus,exists,nodead][@target] Skull Bash

Tormenting Eye/Moonfire:

#showtooltip
/target Tormenting Eye
/cast Moonfire
/targetlasttarget

Orbs:
The orbs will spawn every 30 seconds or so. It is helpful to drop a marker on the first one that spawns, so you know what one de-spawn first.

/Worldmarker [@cursor] 1

And the people say!
Bottom line:
We need more dmg output, or we need the mobs to have less HP.

Update: Blizzard seems aware and is reviewing some of the challenges!

Edit: Summary edits, the addition of helpful macros

17 Likes

I think I could do the MM one with enough practice but I hate kiting and the hunter set is super ugly so I’m not interested. I got the main guy to 60% in my one and only attempt and then got one-shot when I forgot slow the stinker. It’s annoying how much you have to kite, wiping in that one would be so frustrating. Also I dislike that we can’t use our covenant stuff, we can’t even use our legion legendary effects. Overall it’s fine but not something I want to wipe to for hours, definitely not worth the reward. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Update: Little over 100 tries in, getting to the end or completing phase 1 regularly, then dying.

General tips from my tries:

• Don’t worry about DPS to Variss, keep Moonfire/Sunfire on him and give a trash or two when possible. The dots are enough to bring him down. However, the first phase is very long, 5 minutes or more at times. (It’s a bit ridiculous.)
  • Use a Moonfire when proc’d to 1 shot or pop two Moonfire’s on a Tormenting eye. Then move on, It will die. (Moonfire/Sunfire combo works as well, kills the eye faster)
  • Look directly at the eye and you will not be knocked back.
    *Stay in Moonkin as much as possible to get more damage out.

Interrupting Tips:

• Create a @focus/@target macro to interrupt the Drain Life.
    Here is a macro I have been using, works perfectly.
  • Use typhoon to interrupt Drain Life when possible, staying outside of the black circle to manage Aura of Decay stacks.

Netherspawn:

• Netherspawn dies just fine with Moonfire and swipes with only 1 interrupt.
  • Moonfire each one as they spawn. Thrash then Swipe when they are in a group. Use the orb, Not your roar, to interrupt them.
    Roar and Bezerk are for an emergency only.

Aura of Decay:

• Do not let Aura of Decay go over 5 stacks, there will be too much damage to mitigate.

Infernals:
*These will die to the dots and swipes they receive overtime.
*Don’t stand near their feet. and Stay moving laterally to them to avoid the knockback.

~~
Staring another batch of tries. I will update again later.

4 Likes

Wait what?? The set ugly? I think its the prettiest set around. I will get that set for sure but its so hard it will take the whole week to pratice.

Go to sleep Jimmy , Tower is not going anywhere tomorrow

1 Like

Ill gladly post my experience after about 30 attempts before taking a break.

I managed to get Xylem to about 30% before I die, and this isn’t a matter of well I messed up a mechanic, no, this is just a matter of this Mother ****er hits like a Uhaul Truck. Xylem is blasting me for 15% of my health per Frostbolt and I have… what is it like 55, 56k HP I think? (at work so idk). Anyway, sometimes I go to interrupt and it just doesn’t interrupt. That’s a thing. Was a thing in Legion too. Havoc Demon Hunters have a total of 4 Interrupts/Stuns to utilize; Fel Eruption, Chaos Nova, Imprison, and obviously our main Interrupt. Now, I can rinse/repeat these when they are up, otherwise I’m getting chunked for each Frostbolt I get smacked by. anyway, my only gripe with this at the moment is Frostbolt is hitting for too much, Arcane Barrage barely does anything. There are times I would die just because of a Frostbolt cast going off and I couldn’t interrupt it.

My only otehr gripe is that this should be a year round thing, like I would be all for going around and building it up like back in Legion if it meant it was always there.

2 Likes

I never got to experience the old mt, but this is not a challenge to enjoy… i come all the way back from vanilla, and back then there was lots of grinding, but now it’s just subs and make it time-consuming, to get another month’s sub…i kinda knew this was goin to happen cause they(blizz) never give any enjoyment without mess u first and leave u hungry for more this is no game…they don’t have gamers designe etc in their staff, they have marketing ppl who play with u, leave u hungry “oh we will fix it try again in 4 month” i have not read a single happy comment, someone happy showing their bear form… im speaking guardian druid…the video i saw from PTR is way different, they made npc with higher xp, why didnt they do this on ptr and see how it was, but no, lest do something easy on PTR… Nd by the time we release it we make it harder and see how player react… "wait isn’t that what PTR is for!!!

1 Like

I’m loving the Challenge. I’m getting to about 40% of the first boss and every death is my own error. Only issue I have so far is that it’s only here 2.5 weeks a year. Leave it available and it’s great

Thanks OP. Gonna profile this thread.

1 Like

That was 100 or so yesterday morning when it was released.

Have attempted a handful of times since.

There’s a difference between a challenge and whatever this new MT is.

12 Likes

Ah yes

“THis is the tank challenge…but don’t play like a tank, play like a dps instead”

10 Likes

Exactly how you have to play it.

And that means it’s badly done. This is supposed to be a test of your role and understanding your class in that role. If you have to play as though you aren’t that role something is extremely wrong.

1 Like

Just want to note, that the longer phase 1 goes on, the more infernals there are in phase 2 to ruin your day. So you want to go as fast as safely possible.

If you don’t hit the infernals when they spawn, Velen is able to tank them without issue really. It doesn’t always work out that way and they sometimes run to you regardless, but they don’t have to be tanked like the other adds do.

Phase 2 I’ve had go to 5% a few times. I think if I was able to save last stand and shield wall I could survive the 3rd annihilation cast.

Phase 2 right now seems to need close to 100% up time and a few orbs to get through. On attempts where I get knocked around at all, I’m not putting out enough dps to finish him off.

not to mention you have to pop cd’s as bear to deal with the Netherspawn, the newest strat involves poping berserk on the very first group of them to be able to kill them fast enough and then using orbs on every group after that.

Right now, even with SotF on, your taking 600/0.5s per nether spawn if they start the channel, that’s 1200/s per spawn, through a 50% damage reduction, which is 10% of your hp in bear form during this. Through a cooldown to reduce damage…BY HALF, on adds that need you to berserk or pop other cooldowns to deal with and spawn every 10-15 seconds…that is…way no bueno

1 Like

Tank one gets dropped to 11K HP at iLVL 50.

berserk should be saved for emergency only.

Netherspawn dies just fine with Moonfire and swipes with only 1 interrupt.

Moonfire each one as they spawn. Thrash then Swipe when they are in a group. Use the orb, Not your roar, to interrupt them.

Again, Roar and Berserk are for emergency.

What I’m talking about is what I’m having to do just to get p1 to 60% reliably because of bad RNG with eye placements and the fact that, for some reason, it takes 2 moon fires with full dot times to deal with a single eye

Hell, the Netherspawn are taking 3-4 thrashes to even kill