Dragonflight "Pathfinder" issue

Blizzard didn’t have to create requirements to get normal flight that they knew would hit disabled and otherwise impaired people hard, especially those who had been waiting for flight to start playing the game. The fact that you are here objecting to the existence of accommodations and accessibility seems very, very wierd, attempting to put the responsibility on every such person who has struggled without normal flight to do whatever it takes, because they owe it to you and those you consider to be your bosses at blizz central. Are you going to suggest a special cash shop item for disabled people to pay real money for flight?

It sure looks like Blizzard has never gotten over the embarrassment in wod when they were forced by fun-loving casuals to bring back flight after they admitted they had been lying about it all along. Right now they’re expecting people to get over the disabilities they’ve been hiding behind and become as blindly obedient as you.

Do you play the game because the forums give you a platform on which to anonymously dis disabled people?

Guess what? There’s one heck of a lot of people who didn’t buy dragonflight. There are people who stopped playing because of the limitation of not being able to use dragonriding. They’re not paying for your content development anymore.

How much time should I have put into this? I didn’t buy the expansion, and now that Blizzard has shown they don’t want disabled or impaired people playing their game anymore, I won’t be buying it.

2 Likes

Blizzard didn’t have to create requirements to get normal flight that they knew would hit disabled and otherwise impaired people hard, especially those who had been waiting for flight to start playing the game.

Don’t think that’s their goal. More like: Here’s a list of pointless chores, so you can “fly” and we can say it’s there.

It was the result of their decision to make Pathfinder hit the people who needed normal flying and couldn’t do dragonriding hard. Are you saying this was an accident? Did it design itself?

Not a multiboxxer either. Your argument still sucks.

I’m not hurting, control freak. I’ve had everything for the Pathfinder except the new renown done for months.

I want this game to do better. I want more butts in seats, not drop new barriers to entry that will turn people off. I believe everybody can get what they want and it won’t hurt the game at all. You can get your mode that has you fighting against the challenge of your gas tank, and someone else can get the mode of flight they prefer. Volunteering to cut our throats to stop cheaters doesn’t change a thing. The cheaters run the 90% of the game that isn’t considered “new.”

1 Like

I want this game to do better. I want more butts in seats, not drop new barriers to entry that will turn people off.

It’s not a barrier as opposed to stuff having permanence. If you want a clean slate, just join when a new expac starts. A soft reset occurs every content patch.

I’m sorry to hear that Xyxi. In addition to Pathfinder, other accessibility options to change the control scheme of dragonriding are coming in 10.2. These are specifically targeted to alleviate some of the pain points related to hand-motor function some players have been experiencing. Ideally, we’d like to reach a point where dragonriding is usable and feels intuitive even without the use of a mouse. These changes are in development and have not yet been released on PTR. I’m hoping to have these changes tested and available on PTR in the coming weeks.

55 Likes

I’m glad to hear that your team is aware, and are working out solutions . Thank you. :smiley:

1 Like

Too late.

Probably the most nonsensical comment made today.

4 Likes

That sounds awesome and I’m excited to test them!

2 Likes

With all due respect, there’s already a solution: Enable old flight with no pathfinder in 10.2.

These players were able to function with old flight. The game changed on the players, not vice versa. It can be changed back, to how the rest of the game areas still function.

Those who love their dragonriding mounts will not give them all up if old flight comes back. Those who do renown grinds (like me) will be grinding the new renown regardless of whether it was tied up in pathfinder or not.

43 Likes

I feel your mate, am a one handed player and osteoarthritis so holding the mouse so long can be realy sore on the hand, but i kept at it and can fly just landings still suck :smiley: i often cannot land where i intend to :stuck_out_tongue: so its more a crash then a landing, i think its easier when you have all the riding skills cause then can kinda let go a bit and glide, i cant wait to see the old flying back because i have heaps of flying mounts and like the idea of just pushing numlock then doing the start and landing myself

4 Likes

I am glad to hear you’re finding a middle ground for people who suffer physical issues. For I feel the Dragonriding mechanic brought a new level to the game in flight that should be kept and continued to be used and developed in the future.

2 Likes

But if they can make the new version more accessible, that means we get more content that more people can do right off the bat in more expansions.

I’m not saying Pathfinder needs to exist. But working on this is super important for long term health of the game and the gamers like me with disabilities who want to do this and want to participate in dragonriding content.

2 Likes

I think accessibility options are great. Until those options are ready - and they can take all the time they need, they’ve already released some for motion sickness, etc. - an alternative that we know works and keeps players who are struggling both happy and subbed without jumping through hoops until those fixes arrive would be an encouraging thing. The message to the players who are struggling since Dragonflight launched has been a tacit, “Maybe the game you love isn’t for you anymore” when nothing about the players themselves changed.

Is preserving their vision for that piece of the expansion that involves a huge mechanical change to the game more important to them than preserving the audience for the game? I’d rather they picked the audience over their vision in this case.

14 Likes

Accessibility would be making sure you don’t need dragonriding for important areas. Then it would just be like all the other expansions without a flying mount.

Not even close to your character defense.
Or your argument for regular flying, for that matter

The sole reason you’re calling me a freak shows that you’re hurting a lot.
Show me on this doll where dragon riding touched you.

ugh you mean I have to finish that boring embers campaign.

From the sounds of it, they want them ready for 10.2, so if they’re ready for 10.2, it should help more.

The audience that uses normal flying or no flying is most likely a lot smaller than the audience who can do dragonriding and enjoys dragonriding. It’s a system similar to other games that’s been popular.

But again… I personally don’t feel they need to add Pathfinder, but since dragonriding is an expansion feature, they’re most likely doing this to get people involved in the entire expansion as best they can. The experience of the expansion is important to those who created it. And there are people out there who got their dragons, didn’t get glyphs and then rage about dragonriding solely because they can’t afk. But for some of those people, once they have their glyphs and use it more, they may love it. Pathfinder gives them a chance to do just that if they want their static flying.

So there’s a lot of different perspectives going on here.

yes, there is no need to make people do pathfinder now - it is just silly nonsense at this point in time.

4 Likes

Rollo, games always evolves and changes, either the player base evolves with them or they don’t. It is as simple as that. A game can not stagnate without dying out a quicker death than it would have simply by old age. I rather see WoW progress with new idea’s and even if it means to push or force some players into actually participating into the newer mechanic or game play. If it brings into the game more options or a newer breath of fresh air of game play beyond something that has been unchanged for 17 years. If Blizzard listens in this case and say hey, we need to keep in mind peoples with disabilities and add some needed help for them. Then it is all good in my book.

1 Like