Dragonflight "Pathfinder" issue

I have a friend who had to quit playing Dragonflight because of dragonriding. I personally love it, I think it’s great and I hope future expansions use this flight system too. But my friend is an older guy, he has RA and in his words “often have the fine motor skills of a drunk toddler”

The pathfinder achievement for being able to use normal flying in dragon flight is that you play through and fly using dragonriding copiously, extensively. I have been telling my friend “they’re gonna add normal flying soon” and he’s been excited because he can actually play again, but now you’ve locked accessibility behind … an impossible barrier.

Why? What is so important that you can’t just give old flying in dragon isles?

71 Likes

Is it? :thinking:

I mean, to be fair, you don’t have to dragonride for anything ever. You could just walk everywhere, if you wanted to. Just, you know, have fun with that. lol

It’s not like you need to do the races or something. That I could understand being an issue for your friend.

8 Likes

to be fair, there are some locations and quests i’m pretty sure you can’t get to, not to mention do some of these quests without dragonriding, so if someone cannot do it due to impaired motor skills, yes.

34 Likes

For those who have been playing a while, we’ve likely already got all the requirements anyway for PF.
But…even using that word again is abomination, lol.
They should have just given a release date for flight and left it at that.
I hate to say childish crap like this, but ‘its a slap in the face’ when they threw dragonriding at us within an hour of release, then to make LESSER form of flight have a list of requirements like 15 renown with all factions?

yeah…Ion and crew havent actually learned any lessons about this issue literally at all

41 Likes

Technically you should be able to complete all of the requirements with just ground mounts, I don’t see anything that absolutely requires dragonriding, beyond maybe hopping up a couple cliffs.

I do agree that it’s silly to make anyone jump through hoops at this point, though. Just let people fly - we’ve been able to do it on dragons since the expansion launched. I saw the point of Pathfinders in the past as making sure people engaged the content from the ground where it was designed to be seen, but the Dragon Isles were made for flying from the start.

10 Likes

Rheumatoid arthritis, or RA, is an autoimmune and inflammatory disease , which means that your immune system attacks healthy cells in your body by mistake, causing inflammation (painful swelling) in the affected parts of the body. RA mainly attacks the joints, usually many joints at once.

This disability makes dragonriding virtually impossible to do.

34 Likes

Cool. I didn’t ask what the definition of it was. I know what it is.

That sucks dude. Guess he’s gonna have to get this while doing his best to avoid dragonriding. Maybe just use it to hop up a mountain or two. Surely he has the ability to press a key once or twice and kinda aim up there.

One wonders how difficult the game as a whole is for him if he can’t dragonride, which most of us don’t really consider a big deal. Sorry to hear he has this issue.

7 Likes

Just curious how is he handling button mashing his abilities?

5 Likes

I’ve never asked him. But although I don’t know you or the tone you’re giving with this question, forgive me for assuming you’re making a point or trying to - that if he can combat he can fly, right? I’ve never asked. But if I had to guess, I am gonna say that moving your mouse smoothly, versus pressing keyboard buttons, is hard for him? Again no idea as ive never asked him. That’s just my guess. Because with dragonriding, beside pressing skyward ascent or forward surge, 98% of your movement is your mouse. And I dont know about you but if you just flick your mouse every which direction while dragonriding, you dont get very far. So yeah that’s gonna be my guess. Smooth movement is difficult, I presume.

5 Likes

RA is usually hard on the wrists so ya even using the mouse can be hard. Other thing about that condition is that symptoms improve with use, so there’s that as well.

3 Likes

Btw there’s a feature for dragonriding where your friend can tag along as you ride around, where they don’t have to actually do anything. Maybe consider helping him get pathfinder done this way? :dracthyr_shrug:

20 Likes

lmao.
This game doesnt even require the motor skills to AIM at your opponent, lol.
Dragon riding requires motor skills.
Old flight…doesnt.

5 Likes

Bots can’t dragonride but they can abuse normal flying perfectly fine. Putting up a barrier that requires dragonriding makes it harder for people botting to unlock it.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it take as much effort to aim a dragonriding mount as it would to aim a regular flying mount? The only real difference between the two is one is momentum based and the other just statically flies. You still have to aim your mouse to choose your trajectory and press keys to move forward.

It really doesn’t matter anymore. Gold serevite ore is like 40 silver a piece now. I don’t think anyone is sweating about the economy being ruined.

2 Likes

Okay my bad. Your response gave me the full impression that you definitely did not. But you said you do, so my bad for explaining something to you that you say you know what it is, but then ignore the effects of what it is.

But since now we’ve established that both of us know what RA is, can you help me understand something that I don’t know? Why would you then (knowing what RA is, because you said you know what it is) Then say “is it though?” in regards to dragonriding being impossible to do for someone with RA. That part is just confusing me. Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

It’s imo an unnecessary barrier for anyone with difficulties dragon riding.

Why should they have to put in work to have access to something that brings them comfort? What about new/returning players with issues? They may get to the dragon isles and nope right out.

13 Likes

Hello, I see you replied to the thread. Haha, bots don’t need to use mounts! Half the time they are just fast traveling under the ground!

Thanks for your post and have a great day!

5 Likes

Its just doing the story, exploring the zone, and getting a small amount of rep.

Its not a big ask at all.

2 Likes

did you really just waste your time posting this? lol.
We BOTH know there is a VAST difference between no hands required AFK normal flight and DRing.

No…you dont. auto run. I use it all the time. Ive walked away from the KB and come back out over the oceans with normal flight.

1 Like

I wasn’t even factoring in the fact that someone was trying to dragonride with RA. I was asking how getting pathfinder is an impossible barrier, for anyone, with any disability, period, point blank. You do not require dragonriding to get these objectives done. It just makes it way easier.

It has been stated multiple times ITT, that you are apparently not seeing, that you can entirely complete this achievement with ground mounts.

2 Likes