Dracthyr And Blizzard’s “New Philosophy”

If they would keep that system and continue working on it, I would love it. But it will only be one expansion feature.

First: More tanks is not going to add as many tank players as you think it will. The last 3 classes had tank specs. Tell me, what did that do to the “tank shortage” ??? Is there not still an issue of waiting for a long time for a tank player?

The last 3 classes were all melee, and survival turned into melee. Those players can keep crying.

This would be nice, but I don’t think Blizz is as forward thinking as you are. I think they just didn’t want to come up with another tank spec and all the balancing headache involved.

Because tanking as a role is not compatible with the evoker class fantasy,

i haven’t really seen anybody asking for dracthyr tanks tbh

i can think of all the tanking balancing issues that would come with it.

TBH listening to player feedback doesn’t= listening to every single player crying that they cant tank or melee on Dracthyr. lol

Well, here are a handful of the threads and comments that came up when I searched “dracthyr tanking”:

1 Like

Tis be true. I still yearn for a day where i use my mighty dragon claws and roars and fire breath to hold the line for my comrades.

1 Like

Yeah, I can understand this. This is really one of those cases where they were thinking about gameplay first and foremost but didn’t really consider how it’d play out in concept. I think the ideas of the evoker class are really cool, but a lot of people want to play Dragons in a way that is akin to what they’re often associated with (i.e. clawing people to death, being a bulky behemoth who just eats blows, etc.). I think it’s too late now for these to be things with the Dracthyr in DF, but I do hope they expound upon them in the future.

Addendum: Also, I really just want to maul people with my claws as Worgen. I know it’s mildly out of character because part of the point of their story (I think?) is trying to overcome their curse and live as they did as humans, but I really want to engage in the classic werewolf fantasy.

2 Likes

Nah, that came later when they were stringing us along about flying. Pre-launch it was vomiting “savage!!!11!one” in every other sentence in a vain attempt to suppress search results for FF14’s raids.

1 Like

I want the bow from Savannah’s In looking for raid but didn’t get it so no we don’t get what we want in game. It there game we play like they make it

This question has been asked in every developer interview surround Dracthyr and Evoker. Pretty sure it was like the first question asked.

This is probably true.

True, but the issue then is with the new feature of the expansion “the new race” being unavailable to a certain demographic. Allowing Dracthyr to play other classes (like they did with the pandas) seems like an obvious middle ground. This conversation wouldn’t be necessary.

Maybe in the future, great, but it does seem like a dangerous choice in an expansion meant to help recapture player faith in a franchise that has seen quite a bit of negative imaging lately.

Um, if you are a hunter and run that raid long enough… I mean there is a difference right?

But please lay out another ridiculous take that doesn’t even address my criticism.

In case you missed it, I’m pointing out the hypocrisy about saying you want to deliver what players want the way players want, while doubling down on why the fantasy that they obviously want is wrong.

Your wrong and it there game and we play what they make we can ask for thing but sides not mean we get it

We’ve had this before. For the people who only play 1 faction, half the races in the game are unavailable for them. I do also want to point out that this is the 1st new class that’s available to a different demographic, which is ranged players.

Honestly, I wanted Dragon-race that could be any class.

I was hoping for Drakonid, with humanoid forms that have Dragon-like-features, such as Alexstrasza, Ysera or Azuregos’s humanoid forms … (Toggled like Worgen + humanoid form when displayed on mount to remove clipping issues).

2 Likes

Problem is…nobody wants to BE the tank player. The can add tank specs until every class has one and there’d still be a shortage.

3 Likes

I don’t want more tanks as a tank player.

They said with dh tanks they didn’t see a rise in tank players so the argument it would solve queues is just false.
It’s mostly just tanks switching around.

More tanks just mean having to have more alts as a tank as there is only a few spots in pve and barely any spots in pvp.
So unless they make more spots for tanks I don’t see the point of adding more tank specs.

Exactly! (though I wanted melee DPS, not tank). When I imagine playing as a dragon the first thing that comes to mind is my character using their size to barrel through groups of enemies, smacking enemies with a clubbed or spiked tail, slashing with their claws, biting with their sharp jaws, and occasionally breathing fire. Ranged caster and healer are the LAST things I think of when I imagine playing as a dragon.

2 Likes

Because an extremely mobile tank that flies around the playspace is the most obnoxious thing for the majority of DPS. Ion’s response to this was perfectly reasonable.

And extremely dumb ideas. Windfury was always a meme and a lottery simulator. You played a terrible playstyles with the hopes that you’d win a ~15% chance of globalling a player.

Was it cool? Sure. But were the 5 battlegrounds you average a KDA of 0.2 was super fun too? Unlikely.

It’s the motto of FACEBOOK that has less users.
USE WHAT YOU WANT, KEEP GOING.