Dracthyr And Blizzard’s “New Philosophy”

“Play World of Warcraft how you want to play.” Is the motto that Blizzard officials keep reminding us is their new philosophy. And yet:

Dracthyr tanks are a no go despite a seemingly massive amount of the community asking for it. Because the fantasy of playing a dragon is being a ranged castor? What are the claws and scales for again?

But this isn’t the only time recently that this new motto was ignored.

Shaman tanks or 2h enhancement options. Both extremely popular ideas amongst the community.

Forsaken and void elf Paladins (While the new high elf customizations are really good… I think it skirts around the fantasy players were after, namely Elf Paladins on the alliance.)

Eyebrows for orcs and beards for trolls.

Eredar option for Draenei

Anyway… Maybe one day they will open Dracthyr up to other classes and that may help with the limited options. It’s cool that I may be able to make a Dracthyr that doesn’t look like anyone else thanks to the crazy amount of customizations… but I hope all that “personalized customization” isn’t coming at the cost of gameplay.

15 Likes

Im still of mindset of they’re holding off for lore reasons given black dragonflight has been absent for so long and that with Wrathion possibly taking up that mantle that the next expac would introduce a 3rd spec which is black dragonflight based tanking

9 Likes

I thought this also but was proven false when DH continued to only have 2 specs despite all the lore coming and going for different flavors of demon hunters.

I’d say there’s less outcry for dh 3rd spec then the outcry for tank spec evoker, but thats just how I see.

I am definitely one of the ones that still wants dh to be given a 3rd ranged spec

2 Likes

The issue is locking the Dracthyr to Evoker. If the race could tank you would likely have a lot less people complaining about Evoker not tanking, because what we want is to tank on dragons.

5 Likes

Its just the new buzzword they’ll be puking up at every turn

WoD: “Muh IMmErsiOn”
Legion: “PaYeR ChoIcE”
BFA: “MoRaLlY GReY”
Shadowlands: “Our VisIOn”

It doesn’t actually mean anything, its just supposed to make the players shut up.

14 Likes

I agree… but I also think if you truly wanted to ease the Dracthyr in with a single class… it probably should fill all necessary rolls.

2 Likes

I doubt Evoker will get a tank spec, but they did say Dracthyr would get more classes after DF. It’s just all about the Dragon Fantasy right now.

3 Likes

Right after Blizzard added Alexstrasza to HOTS, My kid and I actually fantasized about a dragon class being added to WoW, in the form of the aspects. Dracthyr are close, but melee was part of that fantasy.

I mean who thinks about dragon fantasy and doesn’t think about sharp claws and armored scales?

2 Likes

Yeah! I can’t be a Zevra Necromancer… those liars! I can’t play how I want to play at all!

2 Likes

1 Like

Way to take it to the Hyperbolic extreme….

But of course hunters can now tame Zevra… a positive change, that brought the same kind of ridiculous criticism you’re making here.

Every option I chose to use as examples are literally easily within the scope of the design and fantasy that Blizzard dev’s consistently talk about.

It just feels like they want us to eat the narrative that it’s about community, while they once again pigeon hole the concept into their tight constraints.

They create the lore, and then in what feels like a kind of tantrum betrayal, disregard years of community input.

But I’m glad you posted, because it wouldn’t be an authentic WoW forum post without the most thoughtless contrivance as a response… Cheers!

You’re complaining about things not being added to the game just because they were asked for and claiming that means Blizzard isn’t letting people play how they want.

My post was dead on, even if hyperbolic.

As a side note, we’ve only known about the existence of Dracthyr for a relatively short period of time. If they WERE going to add a tank spec, they wouldn’t be able to just whip one up on a whim.

1 Like

According to most interviews, Dev’s start working on expansions at least 2 expansions ahead of time. Ion Hazzikostas recently said in an interview that they’ve been working on Dragonflight since before BoA.

No, I’m pointing out that Blizzard Dev’s keep stating their new philosophy is to let “Players play Warcraft how they want,” While consistently ignoring many long requested options or obvious choice options.

No, not spot on… There are both lore and functional reasons why everything I suggested could happen… either because they already exist in game, or seem to be a part of the lore, or were initially implied by the
Dev team itself.

Your snarky example meets none of those criteria. It also didn’t really add anything to the conversation other than, criticizing dev’s bad because….

Again, just thoughtless contrivance for the sake of being contrivance. Do you think there’s ever a time to try and have a conversation about things we want in the game but seem to be consistently overlooked by the Dev’s?

1 Like

No, it’s just a very tiny amount of loud people. How do I know this? Because barely anyone plays tank.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a tiny amount… I think all players probably agree we could use more tank players…

But I would be more suspect if you think that there aren’t a large level of melee players who are also upset that there isn’t a melee spec option.

All I know is that I’ve watched several interviews since Alpha launched, and guess what is one of the most popular questions?

“Why no melee or tank spec?”

Were people asking for Dracthyr tanks 2 expansions ago? That’s what you were saying. People asking for things and not getting them. Do try to keep up with your own points.

That’s what I said. You don’t get it just because you ask for it.

I just wish the Dracthyr could play as more classes and not just restricted to one class. I mean they look cool…but honestly if I have no other class options with them then they kinda seem…meh.

1 Like

Pls give Dragon tank fantasy in some capacity Blizzard.

Yiss

4 Likes

That’s a question, not a request.

We have 9 classes with a melee spec and 5 with a caster spec.

We have had 3 classes added with DK, Monk, and DH. All 3 have a tank spec and at least one melee DPS spec. 0 have a ranged DPS spec.

They finally added one with a ranged DPS spec and no melee.

2 Likes