Convert Forum to BattleTag

Translation : If Blizz does this how will I sock puppet myself

6 Likes

Um, It’s a major issue with the forums and they do need to be addressed, a long with active and consistent moderation, not the fly by night, “if we feel like it” moderators we got now.

3 Likes

Some other forum poster already made a thread in the CS forum a while back complaining about others using alt accounts. The mod looked into it and said this isn’t the case and this happens less than you think. So no it does not seem like a problem.

No.

It’s bad enough when someone feels it’s ok to come find you in-game because, “you sound so friendly! Where do you live? I travel all the time for work and might be in your area. I’d love to take you to lunch!”

If that person had my BattleTag, I’d have to permanently set my status to, Appear Offline no matter what character I chose to play, and hide from my friends too.

(Telling them no wasn’t a deterrent and I had to pay for a name change and realm transfer.)

No.

I remember that thread, That thread was about you and the “T” squad.

This is what Vrakthris said:

Editing this, since it’s been quoted a bit. I didn’t say people do not use alt characters or alt accounts. That does happen, it just doesn’t necessarily happen as often as some seem to think.

When it comes to stuff like this, best not paraphrase, as it makes you look dishonest.

That fact is, it does happen and it’s a problem that needs to be addressed. You whine incessantly about False Flags and going to a Battle Net ID would alleviate that issue.

6 Likes

You have zero idea what you are taking about. BattleTags cannot be added by just one party. Both parties must agree/ consent for mutual friendship. I can’t just take Random BattleTag and start whispering them or see if they are online. It isn’t how it works.

Now the current system, I can add any name-server and whisper them without consent. Which one sounds more secure?

Your fears are unfounded and not based on anything real

2 Likes

hence my comment a couple of people - those threads are real easy to avoid as well if they annoy you.

I’m a very private individual with only 3 battletag friends. Perhaps if the numbers at the end were removed, I’d be okay.

1 Like

You should read the above.

I’m very aware of how battletags work. But I’ve had people in game harass me for how I post on the forums. I don’t want to have people even attempt to add me to be honest.

As I said, I’d like there to be a way to have Alts attached to profiles so the trolling slows down. I just don’t know if battletags is the best way to do it.

If people want to harass you now, all they have to do is add FĂ©yrre-WyrmestAccord to their friends list without your consent and they would be able to see when you are online and whisper you.

With BattleTags they cannot do that, they won’t even know what your character names are. So what if they send you a friend request, you can literally let it rot or decline.

5 Likes

It’s a Brilliant idea and should be implemented soon.

I am very open and I am very private. Having your btag show is nbg. Especially if they do not show the numbers.

And even if they did, and I doubt they would you can just not accept a request.

1 Like

I made the concession above as Honeypot posted below me. I think I would feel comfortable if the four numbers at the end were not visible on the forums. That’s a good compromise.

2 Likes

I mean, I’d be fine with that.

1 Like

Blizzard does not make the forum software anymore. It is a company called Discourse. The default state of the forums is to use our Battletags. So, it is not using Blizzard’s resources.

They very much SHOULD go back to Btag posting for many many reasons.

• Changing your char name, transferring, etc makes you start over with post count, trust level, etc. Other Blizzard forums don’t have this issue because they use Btags.
  • Flags and likes are per character, not Btag (this is not how the rest of the forums work) and it allows people to abuse the reporting system. Yes, some get penalized, but it is rare. Abuse of reports is common.
  • People sock puppeting to self promote, to argue with themselves, cause drama, etc.
  • People switching alts to circumvent the Ignore features.
  • Posting char name-server means people can message you in game without your permission, and add you a friend on that char to track you, without your permission. Btags require you allowing contact and don’t let anyone pester you in game.

Switch this forum, like all the other Blizz forums, to a Btag format would resolve those things, mostly. Or force them to use separate Btags with new accounts/payments to get around it.

Nobody is saying your char identity would be erased. But it would be sub to your main Btag. The example above is what I would love to see.

I have been posting in green on my Battltag now for 10 years. Diablo 2, Overwatch Alpha/Beta/Release, HotS, Hearthstone, SC, and the general Blizz forums.

While people have said horrible things to me on the forums, nobody has EVER bothered me via Battletag because it is not personal info (it is a common fake nickname), and they need my permission to talk to me.

The only thing switching to a Battletag would do to you is prevent you from alt hopping without a new Bnet account and new WoW license. It would also prevent people from switching to alts to flag posts.

We get one free Btag change. If Blizz switched, I would hope they would give everyone another free change if they don’t have one right now. That lets everyone pick a name they are comfy with, and that does not break the forum rules. They have done that before.

The problem with that is that the text part of a Battletag is not unique. There can be hundreds of people name Bob. Bob#1234 is not the same as Bob#4567 though. That is rather important.

We had an issue on the D3 forums where a common Multi account troll switched one of their Battletags to impersonate another well known regular. Without the numbers it would have been impossible to tell them apart.

Blizzard did action the harasser with a vacation and forced name change to the Bnet account, but it did underline why the numbers are important.

9 Likes

I suppose I am just strange then. I feel my body tense at the idea of my battletag becoming public. I am too private of an individual to even want to sort out attempted friend invites. Logical or not, it does make me feel like my identity is sort of being pushed to the forefront.

1 Like

What makes a BattleTag more private than a Character Name? They both possess zero personal identification information.

1 Like

It was my understanding that accounts are easier to hack with a battletag.

I don’t think you are strange at all. I think it is a valid concern because WoW players are not used to having the Btag show like the rest of Blizzard games.

Your char-server posting is a level below your Btag which is a level below your real name. Removing char server is one step closer to “you” even though it is a fake name you selected.

Char-server means people can message you in game without your permission. They can also add you as a friend in game without your permission and see where you are and when you are online.

Battletag requires them to get your permission to add you as a friend. You can prevent anyone from talking to you or seeing what you are up to. With Battletags you have a lot more control.

No. Your Battletag is not part of your login information. It is used ONLY as a public online nickname for Blizzard games.

Your login is your email/password + authenticator. Account theft requires that information. To get CS to hand grant access, someone would also need your Govt issued ID matching the account info.

Blizz is pretty picky about that. Most account thefts are from people who give out info for carries, give financial info buying gold, get malware from bad sites, click phishing scams and “log in”, etc.

6 Likes

Thank you for addressing my concerns in a comforting way. I suppose it would be a tremendous culture shock for me to have my battletag visible after years of never handing it out, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

4 Likes