Bug: Receiving payout for cancelled auctions

Issue

Gold being paid out for cancelled auctions.

Consistency is unknown; this has happened multiple times at time of post.

Steps to replicate

1. List commodity auction
  2. Cancel commodity auction

At this point, I would expect to receive the item in the mail. This did occur. However, a little while later I received also this:

Image of money received for a cancelled auction

This has occurred with multiple auctions; my first verified receipt was a Gluttonous Feast.

I can verify that I had at the time, and continue to have at original time of post, only one feast and one saddlechute, so impossible for one to have sold. Additionally, I have a pretty unique name.

Details

Auctions have included:

• 1x Feast of Gluttonous Hedonism (same item listed twice)
  • 1x Saddlechute
  • 404x soul dust (one listing of)

Client:

• OSX 12.4

Other:

• Errors affect only commodity auctions
  • Datapoints include solo and multi-count items.

I can confirm gold receipt (3.52pm), tested on third auction return:

Gluttonous Feast payout mail

Gold log after cashing out gluttonous feast

Update: Determined multi-count commodities are also affected. This was cancelled at 4.10pm and I checked my mailbox an hour later.

Stack of cancelled dust also returns gold

Update Aug 17

Expiring auctions appear to also exhibit this behaviour. I believe the following auction was originally posted on Tuesday Aug 16, prior to evening AH maintenance, and expired Aug 17.

Expiring commodity auction returns both the item and unexpected gold

Note: Prior images have been recompressed to reduce server load. However original images still exist at original paths.

7 Likes

Yeah, I also have experienced this as well. I received gold from cancelling my auction on Empty Kettle of Stone Soup. Also, items that I know that say “sold” have been disappearing too when I have not cancelled it.

2 Likes

Also, When this happened I was just reposting the items to meet the new lowest price as well. It so far only has happened one time. Will update as if I see it again. Also, the gold for me did not come immediately but almost 30 mins to 45 mins later. This was on my character Thrustea.

2 Likes

I’m having this issue as well, and I was going to report it because I was worried about getting banned, but I’m glad to see that more than one person has seen this issue.

3 Likes

It’s good to report! Blizzard needs information to fix these sorts of issues.

Blizzard won’t ban you for encountering the bug; that’s reserved for people who deliberately take advantage of bugs to enrich or empower themselves.

5 Likes

Yep, make sure to put as much info as you can. I mean I only noticed because I went back and checked the AH and noticed it. Kinda stressful though, mostly because I havent ever had something like this happen to me. Kinda crazy for this bug to exist though, so for now I refrain from trying to be an auction house goblin for a little while.

1 Like

It so far seems to affect solo commodities. I cancelled a stack of dust 47 minutes ago so I hope to shortly have another data point.

You mean like consumables that you’re selling one at a time?

It is also happening to me with Pristine Hides and Contract the undying army. I stopped posting them but I’m still recieving gold, and im getting it instantly. They need to shut down the game… these kind of bugs can ruin the economy.

Yes. Unfortunately I have since confirmed it affects stacks of cancelled commodity items.

Confirmed.

I posted 55 Essence of Torment, shortly after, I cancelled it and reposted.

I received the following payouts after everything sold:

35 x Essence of Torment
35 x Essence of Torment
20 x Essence of Torment
55 x Essence of Torment

Total is 145 sold, only ever owned 55.

This needs to be fixed immediately, or else the economy will be completely ruined.

1 Like

This is insane, I’m cancelling my rank 6 leggos and im still recieving gold from Pristine Hides and contracts despite of these not being posted. Now I’m getting gold from duplicated progenitor essentia and the mails say that I’m the buyer…

Yup same… Didn’t even notice it until my first (legit) sales came through and saw a few mixed in that said that I had bought my own items…

Hopefully this doesn’t result in a banwave because I didn’t even notice it was happening until an hour later when the mails came in.

Yeah seriously, I would be mad if I got banned, reported it the second I noticed… Would gladly let them take the money for those listings and give me my items back lol

I was so confused how i made gold today not selling anything

Wouldn’t surprise me if some people made over mil gold today selling nothing.

2 Likes

I have received more gold for stone soups(like 60k but not collected from the mail), I have not reposted since initial post and also still have 200 posted. So, I think it is safe to say this is broken.

If all you did was normal AH transactions, you are fine. You rapidly realized something was wrong and stopped.

If someone realizes there is a bug and jumps at the chance to exploit that bug, then there tends to be an issue.

I would agree. I also think they closed down the AH for now to investigate.

2 Likes

yeah that’s the hope. I can happily give the extra gold back, have plenty.

1 Like

Blue post on it.

2 Likes

Thank you, couldn’t figure out what was happening! I listened a about 800 flasks, cancelled them a few times to relist as prices were shuffling around and eventually sold them all before gold started arriving in the mailbox.

I stepped away for a walk and when I came back there was the the gold I expected to receive plus about a million additional gold. Yikes.

I thought maybe it was just paying out double or triple sometimes, or maybe it was lost gold from previous sales (that happened one time a while back… last time they updated the AH I think.) but this explains everything.

1 Like