Arcane Linguist Broken

As of the Elixir of Tongues hotfix to no longer speak the opposite faction’s language, Mages with the Arcane Linguist ability now cannot speak any languages (at all) besides their base racial ones.

This was clearly an unintended side-effect of the change.

41 Likes

I’m noticing this problem also. I understand the change to the Elixir of Tongues, as I’m aware speaking the opposite faction’s language wasn’t intended. However, being unable to speak my own faction’s languages, despite having bought the tome to allow it, is an unfortunate change. I hope it can be reversed.

6 Likes

I know, me too. This is an issue with me, and opening a ticket didn’t help at all. This bothers me because I like to roleplay. And I hear it’s not just this. I’m hearing some are missing a few, not just all. I even heard a Forsaken Mage say he didn’t have FORSAKEN anymore.

Them altering the Elixir of Tongues (Which I hear was intentional) broke everything. I really hope they fix this, cause Arcane Linguist is taking a spot in my spellbook, useless, and leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

6 Likes

Dangit! (They need to add Thalassian to the Alliance version, too, now that we have Void Elves.)

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Gm’s can’t fix it and I hope blizzard does.

3 Likes

As this is something that shouldn’t have been tampered with when the Elixir of Tongues oversight was fixed, it should really have its functionality restored.

Here’s hoping it’s soon, mage friends.

1 Like

Yep, my human mage can only select Common, whereas before she could speak any Alliance language (except Thalassian). Please restore our languages, it’s a good RP-thingy!

3 Likes

I hope they fix Arcane Linguist soon. I use Language: Draenei a lot in RP and this has really cut into things. I can work around it and least I can still understand it but… It is really annoying.

1 Like

Just noticed this today- it’s really annoying, especially for my ren’dorei mage, who barely spoke the languages in the first place.

1 Like

This is still broken on all mages, Horde and Alliance. I like being able to speak different Horde languages, please fix. :frowning:

7 Likes

Can confirm it’s broken still. Hopefully in the new year we see a fix for this along with having Thalassian added to the Alliance to make up for the Void Elves being added in.

3 Likes

Can also confirm it’s still broken as of today. I keep checking to see if it’s been sorted, but alas.

1 Like

Ugh, this is the worst. I love that feature, being able to speak and understand any alliance language is fun for RP. Fix this now!

2 Likes

It is called Arcane Linguist, not Arcane Hear-ist. Let us speak the other languages again please!

3 Likes

Thought I’d bump this up and share a few things:

1. This bug has completely removed the ability for an individual to speak other races outside that normally available to one’s own race. While this may seem obvious, I had suspected that there was a possibility it was a UI bug. I used the following macro to test this, set to draenei (though I did run along the other numbers as well)

/run SendChatMessage(“Test”, “SAY”, 35);

Result: “You cannot speak that language.”

1. I have heard that some only start having a problem AFTER using the Elixir of Tongues. In my case, I do also have a draenei mage whom has never used the potion and at least in this case their Arcane Linguist is broken as well. That said, the patching of this item (to remove the ability for people to Speak the other faction’s languages) is undeniably what broke Arcane Linguist.

2. I have put in a ticket and received word back. They are aware of this issue and are looking into it. We are not alone in this issue, and we are not unheard. Hopefully they can fix it and soon, as I know a number of you (including myself) are massively inconvenienced by this bug. Just make sure to keep sending in reports to keep them informed and aware. If you find certain races or characters are not effected, that is even more important a tool in letting them know.

In the meantime, thankfully there are work arounds. While typing the name of the language in brackets behind EVERY message you want to be in another tongue is annoying, and does absolutely nothing for everyone else around you, it exists. Additionally there is an addon called tongues. I seldom recommend it, as it does not translate to native speakers (last I checked) who don’t have the addon by default, but it exists.

4 Likes

Abra here, i have had some test with a buddy and looked over it and as tests show

spell is to Comprehend grasp mentally; understand.
allies racial languages. nothing on speaking it.
i can understand languages of:

Orcs (obliously)
Forsaken (my race)
Tauren
Troll
BELFS
and Goblins
as for allied i can not understand nightborne
all others i can

pandas i can not

hope this aids :slight_smile:

Abra

@Abra
The effect is called Arcane Linguist. If we’re going to argue semantics, then the comprehension of a language means to grasp it in such a way that you can reciprocate it - to understand it at such a fundamental level that speaking it is inherently tied with comprehending it.

Ignoring that, the “You cannot speak this language” error seems to be on the right track. Zandalari Trolls on the PTR currently default to a Zandali language flag, but as it isn’t actually implemented as a flag for them, you encounter the above error.
Methinks they’re all connected with how the Elixir of Tongues functionality was changed, and it basically broke the entire system for languages outside (and sometimes including) your racial defaults.

2 Likes

Ah i would see that being an issue, as i looked further it seems this is also a stealth patch was put in 8.1 to only understand and not speak to avoid cross factionchat in other then common with the elixer of tounges. To which im saddened by

Hopefully they do fix it soon. I find this increasingly frustrating by the day. That mages should have an ability we have had since 2012 be partially taken from us because of mistakes made in putting in a potion. These things happen, and I’ll wait, but this is an issue and an annoying one at that.

1 Like

Thank you for initially posting this, OP, and the contributors updating it over the many weeks it’s been active.

I recently started a new mage and was excited to try this feature / skill out (also just moves to an RP server for even more usefulness with this ability). So the broken transmission portion is frustrating - though it appears the reception portion (“hearing”/reading the language) works as intended.

1 Like