Alterac Valley in Classic

I think many feel the same way. And many, like me, never got the chance to experience old AV before it was removed, but have heard about it for 15 years from the people who did. Old AV is legendary and it would be a pity not to give people the chance to experience it.

7 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time blizzard made that mistake by thinking they know better then the fans what they want. Look at that Diablo Immortal ordeal. lol

3 Likes

I loved playing bgs and world pvp in classic and I loved AV, I played it not for rewards but for enjoyment but 1.12 av battlegroups made me start hating it all those dam afkers in shaman cave. It made it so I could never get a winning group because you can’t defend when 10-20 people in afking in cave and alliance being able to rush through all our defensives.
But well when afk report came in later expansions seeing how there were always afkers in av people started abusing it and reporting actual people defending you know those people who say I am going to defend who is with me. After all that occurred you never saw anyone defend at all especially on horde side it was just mindless rush and lose, they couldn’t get into alliance base before alliance could get into hordes and cap it or kill ballanda faster then alliance despite having more people then allies had.

Well that is my story of av I enjoyed it when 1.8 I believe it was current but battle groups really made it hell.

Seems I posted a quote I don’t remember using.

Right, Blizzard broke their best BG (IMO) with 1.12. The cross-realms we aren’t really concerned with here…it is the missing Elite NPCs, the missing Archers who would rain hell down on you from Bunkers, the Cavarly, the Air Support, the Elemental gods, and the Infantry.

We want a PVPVE…not a 45 minute PVP fest. If we wanted that…Eye of the Storm, Arthai Basin, or Warsong Gulch…we have that option already…it is BORING!

We want to bleed when we gain ground or make the enemy bleed for what they gain.

We want the challenge BACK! Not some noob friendly shell of its former glory.

I hope I’m wrong, and that it may be enjoyable…but with the current information we know, you’ve failed a big part of Classic right off the bat Blizz. I knew better then to get my hopes up…all I can do now is wait.

6 Likes

I would’ve really liked to see 1.5. Large groups were forced to work both offence AND defence. With mechanics like gathering blood for the Warlock and wolf pelts for mounted patrol having a vital role to play but only if your team wasn’t working together that well or getting outmatched. Yes, they lasted longer but you can still feel like progressing with the faction and earning honor. A huge long lasting fight was the nature of AV… if you wanted something faster and less epic that’s what the others were for.

5 Likes

Exactly if you want a huge long lasting fight don’t let the other faction rush. You
know pvp in a BG.

Also have to note that I’m quite certain some people would have subbed longer with earlier AV. Since AV is largely player driven, it creates a ton of free content for Blizzard. The stripped down version does not carry the same replayability in my opinion.

I would love for Blizzard to offer up a poll for this one.

9 Likes

Blizzard as you are bringing CRBG:s anyway that would allow you to make a compromise on this AV version subject.
With CRBG:s it’s possible to have two versions of AV running simultaneously.
1.7 and 1.12 versions perhaps as a suggestion.

Doing this would pretty much make most people happy and would also provide valuable user data as you could easily compare the popularity of the versions.

3 Likes

Cam someone cite exactly where blizzard stated there would absolutely be crbgs?

I believe it was part of one of the youtube interviews that got released on the 14th of may … I find it quite annoying that Blizzard themselves don’t have a post with all the interview links. A simple blue post saying:

“We had an intverview with Forbes, please check this link” - “We had an interview with Esfand / Tipsout, please check youtube…”. It’s really annoying that we have to dig them up.

1 Like

Please reconsider Bliz. 1.5 was much much better than 1.12

I don’t even care if it’s CRZ, but like Classic’s classes, it’s the mechanics that matter.

4 Likes

I want the original AV not one where we see who can zerg the commander the fastest. I want an Hours long war.

3 Likes

Then play some D and prevent the zerg.

Only works when others do the same, the old AV forced teamwork. 40 rando’s aren’t gonna all go in with the same plan. Old AV you had to work together.

5 Likes

You don’t need 40 people to break a zerg, a handful of people can do it.

Delay maybe but not stop, not with the current NPC’s. best you could hope for is holding them at the bridge or tower depending on the side. And that’s if you have a group dedicated to base defense with the right composition. Mostly you’ll watch the bulk of the horde and alliance wave at each other as they pass like ships in the night on the way to their respective ports.

1 Like

A combo group of 10 frost mages and warlocks could hold the major chokepoints nearly indefinitely thanks to blizzard’s 75% slow. I mean, 50% move speed on a mount or 25% when not means it’s like running through a shredder

Yes I said that, but again your relying on 10 people of a specific class mix to all get together with the same goal.

4 Likes

To make the argument that one has to rally people to defend just for there to be PvP in a PvP battleground is a ridiculous one. Do we need to go into WSG or AB and tell people there not to rush the objectives in order to PvP?

5 Likes

Someone summed it up nicely as capture the flag with no flag.